PDA

View Full Version : Griots Random Orbital HD?

Pages : [1] 2

chosenone
01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Just about to pull the trigger on purchasing a Griots Random Orbital. I am going to but the 3rd generation but not sure on the HD or not? It says it has a longer cord which doesnt matter to me because its for my owns vehicles in my garage so I already have extention cords. It does say the HD with the bigger cord allows maximum power. Is this to say if I buy the regulard and not the HD version it will not have as much power?

rms64
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I believe the description is just referring to the guage of the longer power cord - power should be the same either way (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

I bought the HD version (with the longer cord) not long ago and if I had to do it again probably wouldn't. For some reason the longer cord (for me) kinks up like crazy, whereas my extension cords don't seem to have the same problem.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

dsg03gt
01-17-2013, 04:07 AM
They have the same power. I believe when they say it will have maximum power is because when you use an extension cord that isn't the right gauge it has effects on the power delivery to the machine, I'm no expert electrician but I think that's how it goes. So if you use an appropriate extension cord with the correct gauge it will work just the same. Also I think the length of the extension has effect, like the longer the cord the bigger gauge it should be.

mwoolfso
01-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Regarding power cords.... the longer the distance between outlet and device, coupled with a high amperage draw, the lower the gauge needed.

In practical terms (not technical), at 7 amps the basic model (18 gauge) is fine for most situations; the official rating for 5-7 amps with this gauge is around 25 feet.

Jrocket
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
chosenone

I just came across this crossroad myself and got some great opinions from members and based my choice on the simple fact that I can use a extension cord from my house if I need the additional length and save 15 bucks.

If your using this for personal use at the house and u have a couple outlets in the right place Id say save the extra dough and if you need the length down the road just purchase the appropriate extension cord if you find yourself needing it. plus its a win win you also have a good ext cord for anything else you may possibly need

Best of luck with your decison :buffing:

and keep us posted on which one you choose..

I will be purchasing mine on the next 15 or 20% off and free shipping sale.

ski2
01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I have the 10' corded GG6 and contacted Groit's Customer Service regarding the correct extension cord to use and they said it should be 16 guage.

Found a 2 way, 16 guage, 12' extension cord at Home Depot for $7.99 that I just taped permanently to the GG6 cord. Works great.

Big Boi
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Basically if you use an extension cord with a gauge that isn't large enough to supply the polisher with the required amperage/wattage. You run the risk of under powering the unit and even worse, damaging it. The funnel effect.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Jrocket
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Basically if you use an extension cord with a gauge that isn't large enough to supply the polisher with the required amperage/wattage. You run the risk of under powering the unit and even worse, damaging it. The funnel effect.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

This is true but I think he got his answer ^ 16 guage extension cord

Fishincricket
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I have the 10' corded GG6 and contacted Groit's Customer Service regarding the correct extension cord to use and they said it should be 16 guage.

Found a 2 way, 16 guage, 12' extension cord at Home Depot for $7.99 that I just taped permanently to the GG6 cord. Works great.

But the HD upgrade is a 25ft cord for $15, right? Seems like the better option if you're currently placing an order.... Eh?

Big Boi
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
This is true but I think he got his answer ^ 16 guage extension cord

LoL. I typed out the reply last night, but didnt hit send til this mourning. :props:

g35_coupe
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, when you consider the versatility of an extension cord and the issue of the polisher cord possibly kinking, I'd just get the 3rd gen,non HD polisher (which I did last week).

dlaxman31
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm in the same boat too.

I think GG is better but I'm worried about the DA being too powerful for a new user and possibly burn the paint. Anyone have that issue?

m249saw
01-28-2013, 11:49 AM

I think GG is better but I'm worried about the DA being too powerful for a new user and possibly burn the paint. Anyone have that issue?

I wouldn't worry with a quality DA orbital.

mwoolfso
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Only the paranoid survive! lol

That's a good thought so when you begin using it and get comfortable with it you will likely have a very different perspective. As long as the DA is moving across the paint there is virtually nil chance that the paint will be negatively affected.

ski2
01-28-2013, 05:03 PM

I don't understand this fear--the great advantage of a random orbital is that it is almost impossible to damage your paint because of the built in clutch that will stop rotation if you apply too much pressure. It's not like a direct drive rotary that can burn your paint through if you don't keep it moving.

I've never heard anyone complain that their DA had TOO much power.

Sure there is a learning curve, but before you've finished polishing one car you'll feel very comfortable. If you don't have a beater or older car to practice on buy the Groits, wash your car, put on a nice soft red pad and put a coat of your favorite LSP on--by the time you're finished you'll be fine. If you want to take this process to the next step--on your first polishing use a mild polish and a soft pad.

IMO Beginners to machine polishing can do more damage by using a too aggressive compound, trying to do a whole car with one pad or with a cheap MF to remove polish.

I've had the GG RO with 5" and 3.5" BP and 5.5" and 4" pads for just over a year--never used a polisher before that and have had no issues, caused no damage and have had fantastic results. Can't believe I waited so long to get into machine polishing.

I know there are allot of PCs out there with happy owners, but why not get the most for your money if you're just starting out with the protection of the Lifetime Warranty. Especially for those of us who just do this for a hobby--we don't use it that much and who wants to buy another polisher a few years down the road if it should have a problem.