PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing - What to do when all purpose cleaner straight doesn't cut it?

Pages : [1] 2

ihaveacamaro
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey guys, I was doing an engine detail (not on my car) a little while ago and I was using optimum power clean straight to try to tackle some serious black grime on the metal under the hood. Some of it came out, but after 3 applications, more than 80% remained. And I was scrubbing it with a stiff brush!

What would be the next step to getting rid of that grime?

I was thinking about trying Wheel Brightener, but don't know if that would stain the metal, as I'm pretty sure it's not painted.

Maybe metal polish?

:help:

ihaveacamaro
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
bump since this thread has reached page 2

AC in OC
01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Hard to say without seeing it. It seems you hit it with a strong enough cleaner if you're not diluting it, plus aggitating it with a brush. The only strong cleaner I've used in the past is Simple Green. You can check AG's list for other cleaners: Engine Cleaners & Degreasers,Clean engine,engine detailing products,engine degreaser,engine maintenance,how to clean engine,how to detail (http://www.autogeek.net/engine-cleaners---degreasers.html)

I'd say if you can hit it with steam, that should do the trick, if it's that baked on after 3 applications + scrubbing.

CM8 6MT
01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Theres a product from Mothers called Billet Metal Polish. Its hard to find OTC, at least at my store. Anyhow, this stuff is pretty strong, at $17.99 for a small little tub, it cleans and polishes metal quite well. I dont think it would stain your metal (as long as its bare metal, not painted).

primo spaghetti
01-08-2013, 08:22 PM
ive used simple green and zep purple with great success...just dont get the zep purple on the paint...

buladscot
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
just dont get the zep purple on the paint

Neothin
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Steam. Let full strength APC dwell, and then hit it with a steam cleaner.

PiPUK
01-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Water based products are simply not the correct product for heavy levels of oils/greases etc. They can do the job, up to a point, but you are using pretty strong caustic products to achieve it and you risk un-necessary corrosion. With this sort of application I always recommend solvent based products. By having the solvent base you negate the need for nasty ingredients because the oil is soluble in the solvent itself and you do not rely on chemical reactions to make it all work. The only problem is that the products are basically 100% active and not dilutable - so they are more expensive.

CM8 6MT
01-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Water based products are simply not the correct product for heavy levels of oils/greases etc. They can do the job, up to a point, but you are using pretty strong caustic products to achieve it and you risk un-necessary corrosion. With this sort of application I always recommend solvent based products. By having the solvent base you negate the need for nasty ingredients because the oil is soluble in the solvent itself and you do not rely on chemical reactions to make it all work. The only problem is that the products are basically 100% active and not dilutable - so they are more expensive.

Ok? So what product would you recommend?

psynx
01-09-2013, 01:12 AM
try super degreaser from megs or grime reaper from CG

umi000
01-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Hard to say without seeing it. It seems you hit it with a strong enough cleaner if you're not diluting it, plus aggitating it with a brush. The only strong cleaner I've used in the past is Simple Green. You can check AG's list for other cleaners: Engine Cleaners & Degreasers,Clean engine,engine detailing products,engine degreaser,engine maintenance,how to clean engine,how to detail (http://www.autogeek.net/engine-cleaners---degreasers.html)

I'd say if you can hit it with steam, that should do the trick, if it's that baked on after 3 applications + scrubbing.

Might want to be careful using Simple Green - it can degrade aluminum. From their own FAQs:

...aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

PiPUK
01-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Ok? So what product would you recommend?

I am not US based so I don't know the market there. Over here there are any number of products but they aren't generally automotive specific. They tend to be extremely common in workshops and mechanics. In general terms they are very similar to solvent tar removers but, unfortunately, you guys don't have much need for these so you have a limited range (and at pretty major expense). I would hope that someone on the forum and knowing the US market will be able to point you at a product fitting this description.

BillE
01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Not really a recommendation, but you might want to take a look at dedicated 'engine cleaners', like "Gunk," etc.

Bill

ihaveacamaro
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I am not US based so I don't know the market there. Over here there are any number of products but they aren't generally automotive specific. They tend to be extremely common in workshops and mechanics. In general terms they are very similar to solvent tar removers but, unfortunately, you guys don't have much need for these so you have a limited range (and at pretty major expense). I would hope that someone on the forum and knowing the US market will be able to point you at a product fitting this description.

any product that is worldwide that would do the trick? I know 3M is worldwide, if they have any good products you would recommend?

ihaveacamaro
01-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Thank you guys for the replies!

Couple things:

1) I don't own a steamer so can't use that.

2) Will another APC or Super Degreaser even work if Optimum's Power Clean straight wasn't strong enough?