PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a Newbie that needs HELP!

RASCARS
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello AutoGeeks,

I'm new to this Forum. I have been researching for literally for 6 months to determine what to buy and what to do to fix the finishes on my mini fleet.

My real baby of all of my cars is a 2005 DeVille DTS. It is BLACK. I had been the only one to wash and detail the car since it was new-until a few months ago when I took the car to the Caddy dealer for a warranty repair. I explained to the Service writer that I did not want the car washed by the dealership. This was written across the service order. Well, when I arrived to pick the car up three days later, it was clean and shiny, not dusty and finger marked as I had expected. The Service writer told me the car was "Hand Washed" to make certain I got it back in the same way I had taken it in.
I rarely drive this car. (9,000 miles in over two years of ownership). About once a month, I pull the car out and drive it for a day or so, wash it, wax it (once a quarter) and put it away for another day. It took three months, but heavy swirls began to show in the paint. I suspect that the "hand wash" at the dealer was really done by the dealership's mechanical car wash and then a panicked glaze job was done to hide the damage.
I have tried to get the swirls out, but I can't get them to budge. I've never had this issue before. I have been using an inexpensive orbital I've owned and enjoyed for years. Nothing as sophisticated as the Poter Cables. I also have been using Girots products, but their stuff doesn't seem to work on this car any longer. I've machined and hand rubbed three different polishes they sell (Machine one two and three )and used their waxes and my car still looks awful.
I had a body shop locally look at the car and he told me he could "cut the clear coat down." This would get out all but the most horrific swirls according to him. I don't mind spending the $300, but I'd rather learn to do it myself.
Any and ALL suggestions would be apreciated.
The 'Vette and TransAM are white and the 95 DeVille is
Pearl white. Any suggestions for them are welcome and would be appreciated as well.
I like to do the work but only if is not in vain.

Is there a seminar or training class in Florida I could attend?

I know this is a LOT for a first post, but I am desparte and frustrated.

I look forward to and would GREATLY appreciate hearing from anyone and everyone.

Thank you
Bob

ScottB
05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Detailfest II would have helped, but you missed it. Until next year, you are best to study the videos (like on the Pinnacle page). I highly suggest the Poorboys kit w/ buffer as it fits your budget and will work for more than a year on the fleet.

RASCARS
05-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your quick reply!
I'll check out the Poorboys products.
DetailfestII ?
Please tell me what did I miss.
By the way, great 'Vette!!!
Bob