PDA

View Full Version : Reintroducing light scratches while opti coating

DaC
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Guys, do you have this problem too ?
I'm always working on semi open garages... yes, there's wind blowing from time to time, but nothing that will make sand fly around....

I always can polish, than IPA the paint without bringing scratches, but when I put the opticoat..... the unwanted scratches appears...

I use the standard technique.... yellow foam pad provided by autogeek waitting a little and going over high spots with a MF towel....... and I always try to go over next section with a clean MF, just to make sure nothing landed on it meanwhile.....

I'm starting to think it's the foam applicator pushing somehow scratches on the paint..... what do you guys think ?

ihaveacamaro
01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
have you used the foam applicator with opticoat before? The opticoat hardens and I wouldn't use the same applicator again.

Or it could be your MF towel, which one do you use?

richy
01-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I haven't put on OG with that yellow foam applicator in a long time. I swear by the foam block and suede mf's that come with CQ. PM me if you want a cheap source to get them separately. If you put the suede mf into a strong APC solution immediately after using it, you can reuse them with no issues whatsoever.

Setec Astronomy
01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
I always wash out my applicator right after use, but perhaps switch to a new (and clean) applicator and see if you still have the problem.

DaC
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
have you used the foam applicator with opticoat before? The opticoat hardens and I wouldn't use the same applicator again.

Or it could be your MF towel, which one do you use?

The one provided by autogeek with opticoat....
Also the foam applicators were all new...

I have 2 theories....
Either sand is flying and I'm not taking care of it... or the foam applicator is the cause...

Either by grabbing some dirty that might be left under trims (although I couldn't see any on the pads.. 1 used around 4 pads this weekend on a single car)..

Or I was applying too much pressure (or else I couldn't see any transfer from the foam)

Or the edge junction from both sides of the pad is causing these scratches....

I don't know.... the bare pad method to apply opticoat has never convinced me...

DaC
01-08-2013, 09:15 AM
I haven't put on OG with that yellow foam applicator in a long time. I swear by the foam block and suede mf's that come with CQ. PM me if you want a cheap source to get them separately. If you put the suede mf into a strong APC solution immediately after using it, you can reuse them with no issues whatsoever.

I actually bought some of these suedes on my last order.... I just missed he right size and ended up ording a bit too small one....

richy
01-08-2013, 09:56 AM
I actually bought some of these suedes on my last order.... I just missed he right size and ended up ording a bit too small one....

I use the small ones.