PDA

View Full Version : Problem cleaning Glass...

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaXGTS
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone. Been lurking around the forums for a bit and finally decided to post my first message. Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Manny and I recently purchased a new 2013 Honda Accord. I've been reading these forums and learning as much as possible to keep my car looking showroom new for as long as possible. But, I've hit my first detailing problem, and it's with the glass. No matter what I do, I can't get them clean. There is some sort of film on the window that won't come off. I'm not talking about a lamination or window treatment. I mean some kind of residue. I've tried Sprayway using brand new microfiber towels, paper towels, cotton shirt. I've tried cleaning a small area with undiluted ammonia wiped on using a paper towel and quickly wiped off with a microfiber towel. Nothing works. The hazy residue remains. Wearing an LED headlamp allows me to see the haze while I attempt to clean it. Not sure what else to try. I'm including a photo of the passenger door glass so you can see what I'm talking about. Looking forward to all your expert opinions and advice on what to do. Thanks.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D5%3B95%3E994%3E252% 3EWSNRCG%3D348672%3C9%3C4343nu0mrj

Pureshine
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
You can try using steel wool 0000 it won't heart the window or you can try this products works great MX-7 hope this helps.
Todd

CrayBrown
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Claying the glass may help. For windows I get a bucket of hot water, glass cleaner and a few MF's. I first dunk and wring out the first MF in the water and wipe down the windows then follow with a dry MF. Ill buff and sometimes that's all it takes. If there is a haze or streaking then I will follow with my glass cleaner. I took these steps to remove water spots from my side windows. Worked pretty well.

AutowerxDetailing
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Have you tried a dedicated glass cleaner or polish. I would recommend something like Glass Science Glass Scrub or CarPro CeriGlass. I have had decent results with both.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

RecognizedRider
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you have tried cleaning both sides(inside/out), but I have to ask Have you tried cleaning both sides(inside/out). Vinegar and water(preferably Ro, rodi or distilled), Mineral spirits, razor blade, 0000 steel wool, fine grade clay bar or glass clay bar. I'd honestly would try Vinegar/water first. Distilled water is the easiest to come by and if you don't have a detailing shop to get Ro water, check out a fish store that deals with saltwater fish and ask for Ro or rodi water. Get some on a cloth and see if it comes out. If not try one of the next options, but be careful with the other options as they can cause some type of damage to paint, glass, or trim if done incorrectly.

cartman57
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/57399-how-polish-glass-pinnacle-glasswork-water-spot-remover.html
If all else fails, might need to try what Mike P has done.
Do a test spot first.

MaXGTS
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
RecognizedRider: Yup, I've tried cleaning inside and out. I'll give the Vinegar a shot first. Let me know what my ratio of vinegar to distilled water should be. I have a bottle of this in the closet:

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp543%3C9%3Enu%3D5%3B95%3E994%3E252%3E WSNRCG%3D3486729%3B34343nu0mrj

RecognizedRider
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I usually treat vinegar like ipa and make different ratios. Try a 3parts water:1 part vinegar. If doesn't work use a 1:1 but know it stinks and prepare to wash. Spray it to the mf and wipe to avoid it running or spray light and wipe fast. Lol.

RecognizedRider
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Ohh and works well for waterspot removal too :). Learned that trick when I use to have my saltwater tank running.

MaXGTS
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I usually treat vinegar like ipa and make different ratios. Try a 3parts water:1 part vinegar. If doesn't work use a 1:1 but know it stinks and prepare to wash. Spray it to the mf and wipe to avoid it running or spray light and wipe fast. Lol.

Can I use plain tap water or should it be distilled water?

cartman57
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Can I use plain tap water or should it be distilled water?

Tap water will have calcium lime and such, if you have distilled that would be best to use.

MaXGTS
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/57399-how-polish-glass-pinnacle-glasswork-water-spot-remover.html
If all else fails, might need to try what Mike P has done.
Do a test spot first.

Thanks for that link cartman. If I don't have luck with the vinegar, I'll try Mike's method by hand. Need to order a bottle first. I'll pass by the store and get some distilled water for the vinegar test.

RecognizedRider
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
You can, but I try not to simply because of calcium and other minerals in the water. Ro and rodi water is what people use to get a spotless finish even if you let it sun dry.

jrs1418
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Cant tell by the pic, is it inside or out?

Is there window tint? if so, it could be between the tint and the glass

New cars always come with a film on the windows, most noticeably when you clean them you'll see circles from where the suction cups were holding the glass. Lots of times these are hard to come out, resort to Ceri-glass if all the above done fix your problem.

cartman57
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Might try toothpaste or baking soda in a watery paste on a spot, it might help?! Looks like built up grime that regular window cleaners can't cut through it.
just trying to help.