PDA

View Full Version : Will topping opti-coat just add swirls?

WRXINXS
01-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I just got my car Opti-Guarded and today I washed for the first time and topped with Carpro Reload for extra slickness. It got me thinking though that maybe topping was just a risk factor for swirling the paint after I just got it 3 stepped and Opti-Guarded? Meaning even though the car has just been cleaned and I am using high quality microfiber towels to apply Reload that it is just more rubbing against the paint and might cause swirling. I am used to soft subaru paint and you can mar that with just a soft microfiber. Does the Opti-Guard stand up better to swirling while topping or should I just leave it alone and not top?

Thanks,
Drew

FUNX650
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi Drew...

Since it has been noted that OG/OC 2.0 usually doesn't completely cure for ~ 30 days or so...
Which, by then, they will/should have reached the apex of their formulated attributes:
With Scratch-resistance being one such attribute/characteristic...Then:

Until that cure-time has elapsed...I'd hesitate to use "toppers".

That is just me though.

:)

Bob

Johny B
01-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Drew...

Since it has been noted that OG/OC 2.0 usually doesn't completely cure for ~ 30 days or so...
Which, by then, they will/should have reached the apex of their formulated attributes:
With Scratch-resistance being one such attribute/characteristic...Then:

Until that cure-time has elapsed...I'd hesitate to use "toppers".

That is just me though.

:)

Bob

:iagree:100%

primo spaghetti
01-06-2013, 04:33 PM
there is no need to top OC/OG. nothing will stick to it and youll be wasting your time, money and product.

you may only need to do a deep clean annually with IronX, but unless you abrade (polish) the car again OC/OG will be there.

if you feel the "need" to top it, wait for the cure time as advised above and get some Optimum OID...or try the new NRWW.

mackey
01-06-2013, 05:52 PM
even if you do top it, it will only be to increase temporary shine (< 2wks)

im not up on all the differences of OG v OC2.0 but i know the flash times are different when applying; OG being less "user friendly". does that apply to cure time as well? if it fully cures you can top it, if not id be very hesitant in touching it and wasting the correction work as its still relatively soft

Perfections
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
It's an added risk but very minimal if you just washed the car. Topping it within the cure period is also no problem. As far as it being a waste, I'd say that's up to the end user. Some may like the added slickness some may not care.