PDA

View Full Version : question regarding my next project

guess23959
01-06-2013, 10:23 AM
i own a black grand prix that's in mint shape i will be fully detailing come spring, im just forming my plan of action now so im not rushing at the last minute. anyways, awhile back i put on some crappy wax, that i want to take off via compound and put some good stuff on the surface, along with get rid of some swirls and light scratches. normally i use a claybar when i detail. should i just skip the claybar since i'm going to be compounding anyway? any info is appreciated. thanks.

cartman57
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
clay it to remove any surface contaniments (my .02)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html

guess23959
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
well here's the bargain, i dont own a dual action. i can only afford an orbital. im just wondering when about should i clay, like before i compound or afterwards?

BobbyG
01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
If you pan on performing a full detail approach it in a manor which makes sense..

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Wash - Performing a regular wash using warm water and your favorite car wash if a great place to begin. This will dissolve and remove contamination making the finish ready for claying. Use a small brush and clean around trim, emblems, and those hard to clean areas.

Clay - Claying is the next important step in this process. Always use plenty of lubricant and work on one section at a time to ensure it's clean and smooth before moving on..

Compound & Polish - Using progressively finer compounds and polishes remove minor scratches and swirls from the finish by abrading or mechanically removing them. These products also remove stains, grime, and oxidation leaving it bright and revived.

If you decide to use a 1-step product take a look at products like Duragloss #501 or BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal....

Work a 2' X 2' section of a panel at a time ensuring that your satisfied with the results before moving on to the next section...

Sealant & Wax

Sealants are man made or a "synthetic wax", Sealants actually cross-link and bond to the finish. Sealants have come a long way over the past 10 years or so and will actually rival some of the finest waxes and far exceed waxes durability.

Wax is a more natural product typically containing various grades of carnauba. Rather than bond, waxes sit on top of the finish. Waxes typically give the finish a warmer glow and a deeper wet shine.

If used together, sealants should be applied to a freshly polished finish, allowed to cure, and wax as the final step.

What products and equipment do you already have?
Are you planing on using a dual action polisher?

If you need a few product recommendations just say the word and I'll help you.

guess23959
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
i'll try that, even though all i have to work with is compound, polish, and wax. im always looking for new ways to do things, would be better if i had a dual action though (and to learn how to use one) but all i could get this xmas was an orbital. at least it'll be faster than going by hand.

BobbyG
01-06-2013, 11:04 AM
i'll try that, even though all i have to work with is compound, polish, and wax. im always looking for new ways to do things, would be better if i had a dual action though (and to learn how to use one) but all i could get this xmas was an orbital. at least it'll be faster than going by hand.

Unfortunately, orbital machines aren't suitable for paint correction. They aren't designed or powerful enough for doing little more than applying liquid wax.

Dual action polishers are so easy to use and once you start using one you'll be shocked at their ease of use and results....:props:

cartman57
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

What kind of compound, polish and wax do you currently have?
Do a small area first to test it out, this way you'll see how it looks and if you're satisfied with the results.

Pureshine
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
If I'm applying wax or sealant I all ways clay no matter what! This helps the sealant or wax bond to paint better and last longer.

guess23959
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
What kind of compound, polish and wax do you currently have?
Do a small area first to test it out, this way you'll see how it looks and if you're satisfied with the results.

3m swirl remover, 3m fine blemish remover and meguires swirlx.

guess23959
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Unfortunately, orbital machines aren't suitable for paint correction. They aren't designed or powerful enough for doing little more than applying liquid wax.

Dual action polishers are so easy to use and once you start using one you'll be shocked at their ease of use and results....:props:

im just scared of burning my paint. my black looks only a few years old and it's an 01. believe me i want a porter cable with a foam pad to hit all the contours and crevices but i cant afford it. so upset cause i know with a little guidance i can make my car look even more like a mirror than i typically do.

spiralout462
01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
3m swirl remover, 3m fine blemish remover and meguires swirlx.

I don't think any of those are a sealant or wax. In fact they all serve the same general purpose. (to level paint) I think you would be better off to wash, clay, glaze, and seal or wax. All by hand. Alot of over the counter waxes contain fillers to hide some of the blemishes you're talking about. If you truly want to correct your finish you are definately in the right place.:props: Keep reading Mike Phillips how to articles.

Rsurfer
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
im just scared of burning my paint. my black looks only a few years old and it's an 01. believe me i want a porter cable with a foam pad to hit all the contours and crevices but i cant afford it. so upset cause i know with a little guidance i can make my car look even more like a mirror than i typically do.

Visit some other detailing forums or Craig's list as you might find a used PC for under 50 bucks as a lot of guy's are upgrading to a Flex or Griot or even the new Rubes. Having black paint you need a buffer.

Bamafire
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Lot of good suggestions, you also can try Meguiars ultimate compound, Meguires ultimate polish, and ultimate wax. All these you can do by hand, you don't have to polish your car in one day. If you did your arms and hands will take a beating, do half the car one day following day finish the rest. Hope this is helpful, but you are in the right place to ask questions. Also read Mike's how to articles.

guess23959
01-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Visit some other detailing forums or Craig's list as you might find a used PC for under 50 bucks as a lot of guy's are upgrading to a Flex or Griot or even the new Rubes. Having black paint you need a buffer.

i just might try that, thanks.

guess23959
01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I don't think any of those are a sealant or wax. In fact they all serve the same general purpose. (to level paint) I think you would be better off to wash, clay, glaze, and seal or wax. All by hand. Alot of over the counter waxes contain fillers to hide some of the blemishes you're talking about. If you truly want to correct your finish you are definately in the right place.:props: Keep reading Mike Phillips how to articles.

yea i figured those are all different compounds, but as for polish/wax im trying a new process with the turtle wax blackbox. i had such excellent results first time i used it, now i want to use it right after i compound to get rid of all the swirls, scratches, and blemishes. (im always up for learning new things to make the car pop. just sux when i dont have good tools to get stuff done, then i have to settle for "not the best but it'll do.")