PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather washing?

Pages : [1] 2

jgibson2980
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Has anyone heard of
that washing a car in cold weather when the car is cold cand induce surface scratches?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Pureshine
01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
I have to wash my customers cars out side all winter. I use two buckets with warm water. I use a foam cannon prior the two bucket wash and have never had a problem with surface scratches.

spiralout462
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
That's odd? The only thing different in the winter is the air temp. Same shampoo, same mitt, same water supply, same drying method? Should see the same results I would think.

CM8 6MT
01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
I have to wash my customers cars out side all winter. I use two buckets with warm water. I use a foam cannon prior the two bucket wash and have never had a problem with surface scratches.

Agree. I dont see how cold weather would cause scratches. Improper washing & drying techniques, and low quality products will do it. Cold weather...not so much.

DEXTERITY
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Wll the hose freeze? This is my first winter in my own house.

ProDetail
01-05-2013, 08:44 PM

I do the same, with a rinse-less wash. I can't wait to open the new shop so I can get away from this practice as much as possible. But no if you wash and dry as you go you will not induce more scratching unless your Microfiber is frozen and your still using it.

jgibson2980
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I was told this by another guy her locally that is a mobile detail er also . He asked where I was washing cars and noted I hope not outside. I replied yes, I am mobile . Then he told me cold car and cold water will scratch a car . Told him I've never heard of that and I've been in the detailing world for 13 yrs. Not that me having that much experience makes me know it all but, I would have heard of that by now. I just thought I would get my fellow autogeeks feed back . I'm sure he isnt one of us .

Andr3wilson
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Well as far as clear coats go, the cooler they are the harder they get.

I would actually assume the opposite, my old black Infiniti FX50S had a softer clear on it and if you washed it directly in the sun, the heat made it so soft a plush MF scratched it.

So really I wouldn't say its the temperature as much as it is the tool and how its dried.

Maybe the guy had a bad experienced and blamed the weather? I knew a guy who had a bad experience with a foam pad, he now preaches all foam pads are equal and bad.

jgibson2980
01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
He was telling me some story about washing cars in 25 degrees weather lol . So I'm sure he was . Cause I don't think uou can wash outside below freezing .

Andr3wilson
01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
lol I think he may have been pulling your leg

CrayBrown
01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Onr'd today. It was 16. I used the hottest tap water. I also used a warm bottle of onr qd. Two bucket wash with two megs MF kits. Turned out great. Although there is probably a 1/4 inch of snow sitting on it now.

ProDetail
01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Actually you can, but believe me it isn't worth it. I had to change the water half way through because it was "slushing" up. I believed the ONR may have lowered the freezing point or it was the scolding hot water but either way my hands went numb from the cold before I finished.

jgibson2980
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
This guy is using a cold water pw as am I . And if is not above freezing your not washing any cars .

mwoolfso
01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Has anyone heard of
that washing a car in cold weather when the car is cold cand induce surface scratches?

As I think about this scientifically, it is not possible unless .....

1. the paint surface becomes more susceptible to scratches due to the lower temperature
2. the surface is not well prepped, and thus permits dirt and grime to embedd in the paint
3. the washing activity does not have enough/frequent rinsing steps to avoid picking up dirt and grime and riding it along the paint

All-in-all, at most the cold weather could become a contributing factor.

jgibson2980
01-06-2013, 02:11 AM
I think he was surprised that I was getting business and working out in the cold . He said he was contracting out thru another detailing business . Witch dosent sound like he has his on clients at all . But hay as long as its not freezing cold outside I'm going to be washing cars and continue to build my cleintal