PDA

View Full Version : Solution Finish kit + UTTG+ or C4 ?

weekendwarrior
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Have an outside 24/7 2003 Escape with tons of plastic trim that I want to take care of "the right way". I have been using Meg's gold class trim + spray wax combo that works pretty well, through rain and wash for a month or more depending on how much touch up spray wax I get on it. However I'd rather only have to do this much trim once every 6 or more months, the longer the better.

From reading here it seems Solutions Finish (kit?) plus UTTG+ is one option, SF to darken, UTTG+ to maintain for about 6 months or less. What about C4 on top of SF ? Wouldn't that provide better durability for only a few bucks more?

Or would C4 on top of SF not "stick", since the directions for C4 state to IPA wipedown first, I'm thinking IPA on top of new SF dye (not sure what SF is) would harm it?

Anyone try C4 on Solutions Finish, if so how did it work and how long did you wait in between each step?

weekendwarrior
01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
In addition, perhaps I should use Cquartz DLUX instead of UTTG* or C4 after Solutions Finish ?
Basically looking for best method (semi perm or longer) to restore faded trim and keep it restored.

Rsurfer
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
In addition, perhaps I should use Cquartz DLUX instead of UTTG* or C4 after Solutions Finish ?
Basically looking for best method (semi perm or longer) to restore faded trim and keep it restored.
The key to any of these products is proper prep work. Clean with a water spot remover (CG is said to be good) and a brush, do an IPA wipe down before applying coating. Anyone of those coating mentioned should give you 6 months + of protection using correct prep work. IMO there is no need to top any of these coatings.

waynvision
01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
The key to any of these products is proper prep work. Clean with a water spot remover (CG is said to be good) and a brush, do an IPA wipe down before applying coating. Anyone of those coating mentioned should give you 6 months + of protection using correct prep work. IMO there is no need to top any of these coatings.

:iagree:Almost entirely the above... with the small exception that IMO Solution Finish looks good but does not have great durability. Initially I'd liked Solution Finish for the even, darkening effect and final appearance, but it doesn't last very long, a great disappointment for the price...

I've had tremendous success with Tuf Shine Black Restore and Clearcoat, which also looks great once you've put in the prep work and time, but has the little talked about effect of visibly water spotting when it gets wet. Now that clears up perfectly when it dries out, but it was very disconcerting the first time I saw it. The benefit of the Tuf Shine is its longevity...

CQuartz DLux is a spectacularly forgiving product, self-leveling to some degree and a very nice, even finish, and I haven't seen the water spotting effect I associate with Tuf Shine when wet.

I've even used Tuf Shine Black Restore then coated/sealed it with the CQuartz. But I did that because my trim was badly discolored and uneven, even after several APC rinses and a final eraser wipedown. So I tried the Solution Finish but didnt get as good a finish as I did with the Black Restore, which worked perfectly. Then I applied the CQuartz DLux. It's only been 2 months but the results were very good. Wish I'd thought to take pics because that would have been the best recommendation...

So, as Rsurfer suggested, I'd go with the CQuartz Dlux only, unless the finish of your trim is badly mottled/discolored. If that's the case, then I'd recommend Tuf Shine Black Restore followed by the DLux, allowing for the appropriate times to dry and cure. Hope this helps...

weekendwarrior
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Wow great advice. The trim is bad in some spots, for example around the tire wheel wells is a greyish (now light grey) trim. The cowling is a mess. On the roof is a large plastic piece with the Escape logo in between the roof rack. Of course the bumpers etc are a mess. The "greyist" piece is a more rough texture plastic molding around the wheel wells though. Not sure I would describe that plastic as ever being "dark black" even when new though. The cowling and roof plastic were black though.

Would product selection change based on that description?

I might just have to get them all...ug

primo spaghetti
01-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Cquartz Dlux is all you'll need. it will restore and protect...dont waste your time and money with any other multi step, multi product show you'll read about...

prep is key as Rsurfer said.

swanicyouth
01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
My experience with Solution Finish is with the product only - no C4 topper. It's my opinion that this product was the all biggest waste of detailing product dollar ever for me. I did all the prep, even removed trim pieces from car and scrubbed them with APC, then IPA. THE STUFF LASTS ONLY 1 WASH. I found it to be no better than any water based dressing. I've tried it on various plastics. The only conclusion I can come to is the stuff is falsely promoted as "long lasting" or my 2 bottles both contain defective product.

I would recommend Poor Boys Trim Restorer. It's cheap, looks good, a little goes a long way, it lasts a while, and beads water well. I've pretty much came to the conclusion that there is no miracle product for trim. I've tried Black Wow, SF, & Back to Black. Poor Boys was better than all of them.

I haven't tried D-Lux, but I've been pretty happy in general with CarPro products, and the company seems to innovate, not copy. I would be inclined to try that before C4.

Also, the Tuff Shine tire coating is excellent IMHO and blows away anything else out there for durability. I would not hesitate to buy any product from Tuff Shine. The tire cleaner and brush are great as well.

Anything but Solution Finish.

weekendwarrior
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I based my plan of multi step approach on this thread post #59

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/46257-review-solution-finish-brings-black-back-trim-restoration-product-6.html5

Primo are you saying those pictures dont sell you on that approach, did you have different results?

So far 3 votes for CQDlux...1 vote Tuf Shine and or Poor Boys

snowking724
01-05-2013, 07:39 PM
CQuartz DLux has been on the bed rails of my truck for around 6 months and still looks as good as the day I applied it, which is like new. The PB's product that was mentioned looks good right away but it drops off fast and once it rains, it runs down the paint.

weekendwarrior
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Interesting thanks! Also found this thread looks like Dlux is winning for everyone....kinda "sealing" the deal...pun intended

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/52351-carpro-cquartz-dlux-review-4.html

Thanks everyone! Next big sale and I will pick up some CQ Dlux!

primo spaghetti
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
in fairness i havent tried the solutions finish product...but i have tried all the ones that have been listed above...while PB trim restore is ok, i agree it runs and willnot last long...

cquartz is my recommendation, unless the trim is pristine, then id OC it.

john b
01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
i like solution finish,have not had any problems at all.just keep workin your area with ipa till eventually your towel comes up clean with ipa and your good to go