PDA

View Full Version : Pad Cleaning

BobbyG
01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I watched the makeover of the pristine 1965 Mustang Fastback last night broadcast LIVE in a step by step wet-sanding, cutting and buffing process. This was a real treat because it covered many of the aspects of the final finishing of a brand new paint job along with the some of the do's & dont's.....:props:

Part 1 - How to Wetsand, Cut and Buff a 1965 Mustang Fastback - YouTube

Part 2 - How to Wetsand, Cut and Buff a 1965 Mustang Fastback - YouTube

Outstanding work guys!! :props:

Clean Pads!!

One area Mike touched on is the importance of cleaning your pads.

This may sound somewhat insignificant but as the pad and product performs it's job, it's removing small particles of paint and these particles along with product collect in the pad whether it's wool or foam. As these particles build up and if they're not removed, they will impart defects as fast as they're being removed and you'll be left scratching your head trying to figure out where the heck they're coming from..

Pad Spur (http://www.autogeek.net/wool-pad-spur.html)

A pad spur is very important to use frequently when using a rotary and wool pad. As the pad spins at high RPM, these spurs break up the debris and as the pad rotates they become ejected due to centrifugal force. Pad Spurs are so inexpensive and should be part of every detailers arsenal.

Foam Pad Cleaning (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pad-washer.html)

Foam pads also require frequent cleaning just like their wool counterpart. A pad brush designed for foam pads work to loosen up the debris and caked on product. Another method is cleaning on the fly with a terrycloth towel but the method I prefer the most of the pad washing system Mike showed you last night.

The pad washer cleans both wool and foam pads and does it quickly and safely. I'll use a brush on the foam pads a couple of times to loosen everything up then a towel absorbs most of it but several times I'll clean them with the pad washer and it's amazing how clean they become...

cartman57
01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for your posts BobbyG, always informative and useful.
Pad washer is my next purchase when the warmer weather decides to arrive.
Missed the live feed........will watch the replay you posted.

Johny B
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your posts BobbyG, always informative and useful.
Pad washer is my next purchase when the warmer weather decides to arrive.
Missed the live feed........will watch the replay you posted.

I use a pad washer too a must have. Great savings if you take time to shop online stores.

cardaddy
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
:whs:

And that is why my last pad order (including a foam pad spur as well) was $443.00! :o

Eandras
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Bobby again great information. I use a pad washer as well. It also pays if you have additional pads as you can use the pad washer remove the pad and keep going with a clean pad. In most instances I use three pads so that I have a working pad, a clean pad, and a pad that is drying.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

swanicyouth
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
If you don't have a pad washer (me ) and are trying to get products like sealants (including BFWD) out of your pads, I've found soaking them in a mixture of 50/50 IPA/ mineral spirits will remove everything from your pad. The pad will come out clean as new, and the mixture can be used over again. Soaking overnight and some agitation (squeezing) may be required. But this is the only way I have found so far to get all the polymer type products out of a pad.

rmagnus
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Once you buy a pad washer you'll wonder how you ever did without one and you will clean pads much more frequently. My initial response was why are they so expensive. Still don't have a good answer for that but it's an essential piece of gear.

Like BobbyG says works well on foam or wool.

cartman57
01-04-2013, 09:30 PM
:whs:

And that is why my last pad order (including a foam pad spur as well) was $443.00! :o

That's a lot of pads!! :joking:
Pad washer prices seem to be pretty much all the same with the better quality ones, will wait for a good price when more $$ has been earned

cardaddy
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM
That's a lot of pads!! :joking:
Pad washer prices seem to be pretty much all the same with the better quality ones, will wait for a good price when more $$ has been earned

Yup it IS a lot of pads for a guy that just does this as a freakin' hobby! :laughing:

B4 Christmas I had to make choice, with so many different vehicles sitting around here I know I needed a lot of different choices, plus I wanted to get a full set of 5½'s as well to go with the 6½ CCS's I have.
So.... it was load up on pads, or get less pads and grab a pad washer. Problem is, I missed the frikin' washer sale and am too cheap to pay 'regular' price!:mad:

And yeah... I still can't figure out why they are so much either. :p

Between my (positive) account balance with AG and coupons sitting here, hopefully the washers will go on sale again soon. I'll be fine while it's still too cold to get to all my (and my neighbors) cars. But come spring.... watch out, the ol' cripple dude is going at it. :dblthumb2:

cardaddy
01-04-2013, 10:15 PM
If you don't have a pad washer (me ) and are trying to get products like sealants (including BFWD) out of your pads, I've found soaking them in a mixture of 50/50 IPA/ mineral spirits will remove everything from your pad. The pad will come out clean as new, and the mixture can be used over again. Soaking overnight and some agitation (squeezing) may be required. But this is the only way I have found so far to get all the polymer type products out of a pad.

I've been lucky with dawn, XMT, Snappy and Megs APC+, and a LOT of hand washing so far. But I'm filing that recipe away for sure. :xyxthumbs:

cartman57
01-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I've been lucky with dawn, XMT, Snappy and Megs APC+, and a LOT of hand washing so far. But I'm filing that recipe away for sure. :xyxthumbs:

My process is the same, Dawn(the good smelling stuff) XMT spray pad cleaner, CG cleaner and cotton towels to dry out the excess water then sit and air dry.
Spring time............................VIP sale!!:xyxthumbs:

vegas911gts
01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
I don't use machine polish or use the buffer to apply wax/sealants enough to justify buying the pad cleaning machine. I just use a pad brush and cg pad cleaner with hot water in a bucket and it works ok for me.

cardaddy
01-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Spring time............................VIP sale!!:xyxthumbs:

Ruh-Row!!! :cry: