PDA

View Full Version : Does Hard Water Decrease Rinseless Wash's Strength?

Marc08EX
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I've been seeing a lot of threads and videos of people using distilled water when making their rinseless wash solution. Did the manufacturers design the rinseless wash to be used with tap water or distilled water? If I use water coming out of the faucet, will it reduce the lubrication provided by the rinseless wash solution especially in places with very hard water (AZ for example). Or will I be ok?

THANKS!

ihaveacamaro
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I've done both ways and don't really notice any difference, in fact on the product page of optimum no rinse it says it softens hard water

Marc08EX
01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I've done both ways and don't really notice any difference, in fact on the product page of optimum no rinse it says it softens hard water

That's what triggered this thought. Since the solution interacts with the hard water minerals and softens it as a result, does it take away from the lubricity provided in the rinseless wash aspect?

ihaveacamaro
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I doubt it and if it does its not enough to notice... At least it wasn't to me

CM8 6MT
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I live in an area where there is some really bad hard water. It will leave the nastiest water spots youll ever see if left on your paint untreated. Used Optimum ONRWW with no issues.

Andr3wilson
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM

+1

mwoolfso
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
For the washing part, not to my knowledge with the exception of ensuring you dry the car properly

However, since some rinseless washes have gloss enhancers or wax and such.... you would get a nicer, slicker finish without all those impurities in the water. Would you notice a difference? Maybe. It all depends on how bad tap water is in your area.

ScottB
01-04-2013, 09:54 PM
ONR has a water softner build it ... just an option.

swanicyouth
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Ditch the tap water and start doing Gary Dean style washes. You can do a whole car with 2 gallons of distilled water, about $2 from any grocery store. You'll never regret it. Use tap water for wheels.

vman
01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a liter of ONR ready in a garden sprayer that i use to spray down my car with after i rinse it with a pressure washer. I dont have much shade near my house or an indoor garage so water would evaporate faster than i could address it during the summer months.

So before drying i would soak the car in ONR at 1:16 QD strength and it would actually prevent the hard water from etching into the clear coat. It still left water spots but they were easily wiped away with a quick detailer. I have very hard well water and i use this trick everytime i 2 bucket wash a car and have been very happy with no water spots.