PDA

View Full Version : The good and the bad about NJ gas pumps!

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
05-01-2007, 07:11 AM
No idea where I'm going with this.....do ya? Well, in the state of NJ you cannot pump your own gas. Guess it keeps many people employed. The good thing is gas in NJ is about .20-.22 cheaper than PA where I live. Bad thing is they don't give a crap how the gas cap scraps the car, which I got a little of last week. I was thinking of trying to get a small piece of the 3M plastic used to protect the front of the cars. Or does anyone know of a gas cap cover that is soft enougfh to protect the paint?

Howard

BILL
05-01-2007, 07:25 AM
No idea where I'm going with this.....do ya? Well, in the state of NJ you cannot pump your own gas. Guess it keeps many people employed. The good thing is gas in NJ is about .20-.22 cheaper than PA where I live. Bad thing is they don't give a crap how the gas cap scraps the car, which I got a little of last week. I was thinking of trying to get a small piece of the 3M plastic used to protect the front of the cars. Or does anyone know of a gas cap cover that is soft enougfh to protect the paint?

Howard

I'D STAND ALONG SIDE OF THE PUMPER AND HOLD THE CAP.......;) .

P1et
05-01-2007, 08:09 AM
That's very strange how you cannot fuel up your own vehicle. That would drive me bonkers. Personally, I am very anal about recording my fuel mileage to ensure the truck is running properly. I always fill it all the way to the NECK to where it almost drips out, which usually takes a good 10 minutes.

LayerMeDammit
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
That's very strange how you cannot fuel up your own vehicle. That would drive me bonkers. Personally, I am very anal about recording my fuel mileage to ensure the truck is running properly. I always fill it all the way to the NECK to where it almost drips out, which usually takes a good 10 minutes.

Ummm....that cant be good. I've always heard that filling it up to the brim is BAD!!

On-Site Mechanic: 09/26/03 - The Car Connection (http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6462)
Take it to the limit

Q--A buddy of mine insists on filling the tank of his 1999 Chevy Blazer to the limit so that it is pouring out of the overflow tube. When I leave the gas station you can smell the gas fumes in the air.
I have told him that this can cause problems such as a fire or a problem with the return hose and the charcoal canister. I have tried so many times to explain this to him but still will not listen. I would really appreciate your expert advice.

A--Overfilling can, as you have noted, actually waste gas. Any that escapes your tank ends up polluting the environment as well as posing a fire risk. Yes, overfilling can also saturate the charcoal granules in the evaporate storage canister requiring replacement. It isn't cheap.
Additionally, if he fills up at a pump that is equipped with vapor recovery, some of the gas he is paying for can be sucked back into the station's own tanks

AND
Topping Off (http://www.jpsalestraining.com/topping_off.htm)

AUdakota
05-01-2007, 04:26 PM
i always round up to the next dollar, am I going to hell?

trhland
05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
when i get gas i stand right next to the attendent with a baseball bat watching him. and i tell him if you scrap the truck with that nozzel im going to bop you one!!!!!:D

supercharged
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Howard
That's a biggest waste of labor I can think of...If the scratch your paint - sue them. And so to the most expensivest body shop in the state. That will teach 'em a lesson...:cheers:

Gary Sword
05-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I don't know about a plastic gas cap but I didn't think gas stations stilled pumped gas for people anywhere in the US. What's even more amazing is a state has a law requiring it.

r_wain
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Just stop before you get there and take the cap off and then go and put it on when you leave.

Surfer
05-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't know about a plastic gas cap but I didn't think gas stations stilled pumped gas for people anywhere in the US. What's even more amazing is a state has a law requiring it.Yeh this is actually a NJ law. Way back freshman year in college, my roomates GF was from NJ. She came over all pissed one night, said she went to get gas and the station wouldn't pump her gas, she waited and waited before going inside. He and I looked at her like "huh???". She said she had never pumped gas before and that it was always the station who did it and she figured everywhere else did the same........obviously not lol, and she was actually pissed that somebody didn't pump her gas. lol

noname5
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM

If you're pumping past the "click" off, then any gas you pump just goes back into the gas station's pumps but you get charged anyway :(

I don't know about a plastic gas cap but I didn't think gas stations stilled pumped gas for people anywhere in the US. What's even more amazing is a state has a law requiring it.

Indeed, was quite a shocker for me as well when I visited NJ. In the South we pump our own gas Im the MAN

dengood1
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeh this is actually a NJ law. Way back freshman year in college, my roomates GF was from NJ. She came over all pissed one night, said she went to get gas and the station wouldn't pump her gas, she waited and waited before going inside. He and I looked at her like "huh???". She said she had never pumped gas before and that it was always the station who did it and she figured everywhere else did the same........obviously not lol, and she was actually pissed that somebody didn't pump her gas. lol

She drove down from NJ and never had to get gas on the way here?:confused:

ron231
05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Yea I live in NJ too and have to deal with this but luckily I dont think theyve hit the paint yet. NJ is a weird state, I do plan to move eventually because a lot of the weirdness is in a bad way.

We can't have fireworks either... Well legally we cant but that doesnt stop me from driving real far away every 4th of july to get some ;)

paivag
05-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah one time getting Gas there they chipped my paint putting the gas pump into the nozzle. I was pissed when I saw the chip as I went to pump gas again.

sparkie
05-02-2007, 08:17 PM
She drove down from NJ and never had to get gas on the way here?:confused: Must have had a GEO!:p