PDA

View Full Version : da polisher and pads, and whatever else i can think of

Pages : [1] 2

LazyGhost
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Ok, I believe ive decided on the Griots Garage 6". Was gonna go with the Megs da polisher but the design of it having the groove under the handle (which would be uncomfortable should i use it without the handle) made me change my mind. Ive read good things about the GG6 and it looks good to me. If anyone wants to rain on my parade before I order it please chime on in.
Im also very interested in the Megs da microfiber correction system thats being discussed on another thread. Im assuming im right in believing the 5" megs microfiber pads will work just fine on the GG6?

Im slow, but im learning. Gotta give you guys something to type about.

What ive learned so far.,.,.

a good da polisher is the only way to go :xyxthumbs:
Not even a below average moron is likely to screw up the paint using a da polisher
Good gosh theres a whole world of polishes,waxes, and opinions. just pick a few that have high reviews and ignore everything else
Come back here every day and learn something else

detz86
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Just got the gg6 for xmass and it has a lovely feel to it I don't use handles on it or my mekita 9227c .... I can take out 90% of what the makita can but it takes a lil longer but the finish of the gg6 blows my mind compared to what I got with the makita .

Either option is good but like you I leaned towards the gg6 and haven't looked back since. 4 full details and 2 quick shines and it feels like a 3 arm .....

Pj C. senior detailer at Subaru of Moncton.

Johny B
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Your choice for the GG is good. It is more powerful compared with the Porter Cable 7424XP.

rmagnus
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
A DA is the only way to go or better yet a DA and RB. But starting out the GG is a great choice, might as well get the new version (more power). I still love the PC. Haven't tried the MF system I hear good things you will need compressed air to clean the pads. I'm more traditional M105/205/C845 but also try new things. Recently DG501/601 loved it, also CG BL/V07 also loved it. Both are more of an AIO vs multi step detail but I'm hard pressed to give up my M205!

Jump in you'll be buying more equipment soon. :buffing:

LazyGhost
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I need more info on pads for my soon to be purchased GG6. Ive been looking and cant seem to find information I seek.

What pads should i purchase?

Are different brands of pads transferable without having to buy a backing plate or adapter? Im specifically interested in whether the Megs DA microfiber correction systems 5" pads will work on the GG6?

BobbyG
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I need more info on pads for my soon to be purchased GG6. Ive been looking and cant seem to find information I seek.

What pads should i purchase?

Are different brands of pads transferable without having to buy a backing plate or adapter? Im specifically interested in whether the Megs DA microfiber correction systems 5" pads will work on the GG6?

With this style polisher the 5 1/2" pad size is ideally suited and easy to control.....

Lake Country Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)
Lake Country Flat Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

What other products are you planning on using for paint correction?

Eandras
01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Remember you can get the same results as a rotary, a flex 3401, a PC 7242, GG 6" or a McGuiars DA. It is all about technique. You perfect your technique by doing a test spot.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

LazyGhost
01-04-2013, 09:56 PM
With this style polisher the 5 1/2" pad size is ideally suited and easy to control.....

Lake Country Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)
Lake Country Flat Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

What other products are you planning on using for paint correction?

A month or so ago (long before i came here and started getting educated), I started picking up stuff at my local walmart and auto store.
So far i have,
Megs Ultimate polish
Megs Ultimate liquid wax
Megs clay bar kit
Turtle wax bug and tar remover
Invisible glass premium windshield cleaner with rain repellent
Invisible glass premium glass cleaner (tint safe)
Megs gold class car wash shampoo & conditioner
Megs hot rims all wheel and tire cleaner
Lots of microfiber hand towels from walmart and autozone
Three microfiber drying towels
2 wash buckets
Hand polish/wax pads

Im thinking about purchasing...
Megs M105 / 205 since that combo seems to be widely praised around here
Megs DA microfiber correction kit
GG6 Da polisher
Pads (once i figure out what to get)
Some better quality microfiber wipe towels than what i have

Ive got an extra $150 this week to go ahead and order some stuff. I wont be purchasing the GG6 with that money (talked the old lady into buying me one soon).

CM8 6MT
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Remember you can get the same results as a rotary, a flex 3401, a PC 7242, GG 6" or a McGuiars DA. It is all about technique. You perfect your technique by doing a test spot.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

100% Agree

LazyGhost
01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
A month or so ago (long before i came here and started getting educated), I started picking up stuff at my local walmart and auto store.
So far i have,
Megs Ultimate polish
Megs Ultimate liquid wax
Megs clay bar kit
Turtle wax bug and tar remover
Invisible glass premium windshield cleaner with rain repellent
Invisible glass premium glass cleaner (tint safe)
Megs gold class car wash shampoo & conditioner
Megs hot rims all wheel and tire cleaner
Lots of microfiber hand towels from walmart and autozone
Three microfiber drying towels
2 wash buckets
Hand polish/wax pads

Im thinking about purchasing...
Megs M105 / 205 since that combo seems to be widely praised around here
Megs DA microfiber correction kit
GG6 Da polisher
Pads (once i figure out what to get)
Some better quality microfiber wipe towels than what i have

Ive got an extra $150 this week to go ahead and order some stuff. I wont be purchasing the GG6 with that money (talked the old lady into buying me one soon).

Of course, i listed more than you asked. Got carried away I guess. lol. The Megs ultimate polish and ultimate wax that ive already purchased, I reckon ill keep the stuff and use it down the road for when I dont have any paint corrections to do.

Ill be working on my personal vehicles and of course an occasional friends. Of my personal vehicles, one is a black 2011 camaro with glossy orange racing stripes. The paint needs some corrective action to remove light scratches and swirls. The glossy racing stripes have a wax coating on them as well that is swirly. I havent yet researched how to handle the stripes. Ill be making a post about that soon enough.
My other personal vehicle is a blue 2012 f150 that i purchased used. It really doesnt need a lot of paint corrections I guess. Not too swirly. Not many scratches. There is some touch up paint here and there around the vehicle that was applied before i got it. Im not sure how to handle that during polishing. Im sure ill make a post about that in the near future as well. The major problem with this vehicle is that the finish is very hazy. Its very reflective but very hazy. I had thought it looked great up until i started looking at before and after pics posted on this site. Now im less than pleased with the look of it.

psnt1ol
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Of course, i listed more than you asked. Got carried away I guess. lol. The Megs ultimate polish and ultimate wax that ive already purchased, I reckon ill keep the stuff and use it down the road for when I dont have any paint corrections to do.

Ill be working on my personal vehicles and of course an occasional friends. Of my personal vehicles, one is a black 2011 camaro with glossy orange racing stripes. The paint needs some corrective action to remove light scratches and swirls. The glossy racing stripes have a wax coating on them as well that is swirly. I havent yet researched how to handle the stripes. Ill be making a post about that soon enough.
My other personal vehicle is a blue 2012 f150 that i purchased used. It really doesnt need a lot of paint corrections I guess. Not too swirly. Not many scratches. There is some touch up paint here and there around the vehicle that was applied before i got it. Im not sure how to handle that during polishing. Im sure ill make a post about that in the near future as well. The major problem with this vehicle is that the finish is very hazy. Its very reflective but very hazy. I had thought it looked great up until i started looking at before and after pics posted on this site. Now im less than pleased with the look of it.

And the sickness begins......:xyxthumbs:
Most of us started out this way.

hulatee
01-05-2013, 02:16 AM
I purchased the updated GG DA last month. It's great and has lot's of power. I sent an email question to GG about pad size and it was recco'd to use only 6" pads, anything smaller and you run the risk of the backplate hitting the paint.

CM8 6MT
01-05-2013, 03:59 AM
I purchased the updated GG DA last month. It's great and has lot's of power. I sent an email question to GG about pad size and it was recco'd to use only 6" pads, anything smaller and you run the risk of the backplate hitting the paint.

Thats why you go with a different backing plate. For example when I run 4" pads, I use a 3.5" LC plate. I can see GG telling you to use 6" pads only due to legal reasons, anything smaller on the stock GG backing plate can cause an issue. I threw my stock GG backing plate away when I first purchased my GG6 and replaced it with a smaller higher quality plate from Megs instead.

dooyaunastan
01-05-2013, 04:55 AM
The preferred backing plate size for DA buffers seems to be 5" for 5.5" pads and for smaller areas, 3.5" for 4" pads. Now with the new GG 3" you can easily run a 3" BP with 3" pads without dealing with the excess size of the original machine.

Lake Country seems to be the most popular brand for foam pads, offering flat pads, CCS pads, and Hydrotech pads in the previously mentioned sizes. As far as choosing between pads, it's really preference, the flat pads are the cheapest and are tried and true and I figured a great place to start.

The most important part of the job is the prep, so you might want to look into an APC / degreaser and even IronX to completely decontaminate the surface and make your clay job as easy as possible.

BobbyG
01-05-2013, 07:20 AM

Spend some time reading a few well written articles on how to use a dual action polisher correctly..

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
DA Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)
Waxing With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-how-machine-apply-wax-using-da-polisher.html)
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)
DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html)
How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html)