PDA

View Full Version : CONFUSED - Induced Holograms With A DA?!?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bates Detailing
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey Mike and AG,

Been a bit since being here and I have run across a doozy, so I turn to AG for the answers :dblthumb2:. Heres the case :

A month or so ago we polished an F-650 for a reg client. We washed, clay barred, alc'ed it, then polished it with M205 and a cyclo with white pads. We service this vehicle biweekly to monthly so we regularly keep a thin layer of wax on it.

The next week the client pulled me to the side and pointed out tons of holograms in the sun and insisted we did it. Bollocks I thought to myself - white pads and a cyclo (theres no way!). I told him it needs a correction and we will do that soon for him.

Just the other day, I decided to go ahead and compound, polish, and wax (M105, M205, and Collonite to top off). Well, used light cutting pads and M105 and Holograms were ten times worse! Topped it with M205 and white pads and holograms were still bad :/!?!?!? Wow - I use the cyclo to remove holograms.... its inducing them on this ride!

I have not seen this before - I talked to Tuscadora Dave for about 30 minutes while working on this and he tossed some good ideas out there..... ideas that I couldn't quite perform due to lack of products at the time. What ideas do you have Mike, or all of AG for that matter?!?!??! Have you all dealt with this ?rare? issue before?!?!?!

Fishincricket
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Hmmm.. Sub'd

Pureshine
01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I have worked with soft paint before but has never left Holograms. How old is the F-650?

Bates Detailing
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I have worked with soft paint before but has never left Holograms. How old is the F-650?

"Factory Paint" according to client - I believe it is a 2008 I THINK....... soft I don't think is the issue though. While using the least aggressive method and using lite cutting pads to compound, the micro scratches/swirl marks did not budge - but holograms were induced?!?!? Odd Right?!?!

Pureshine
01-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Ya very odd I have never had this problem. Hopefully someone
else has the answer.

rider9195
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Repaint or something like that?? This is confusing.

CM8 6MT
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Why dont you try using a different polisher? Maybe your cyclo isnt working how its supposed to? Just a thought.

Pureshine
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Do you have MF pads?

Rockeey
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Where does the owner of the vehicle work?....is it near or at an industrial site of some sort? Is it possible the vehicle is getting misted with a layer of ferrous soot or some other foreign substance? I dunno but it almost sounds like there might be something within the very top surface of the paint that you are just pushing around with the Cyclo.....something that washing and claying isn't completely removing.

Bates Detailing
01-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Why dont you try using a different polisher? Maybe your cyclo isnt working how its supposed to? Just a thought.

I thought of that only - we polished his black Escalade the same day and no issues...... and we have polished 10 cars + since and no issues. Polishing 1000 cars plus this past 2 years, this is the enigma!

Bates Detailing
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Where does the owner of the vehicle work?....is it near or at an industrial site of some sort? Is it possible the vehicle is getting misted with a layer of ferrous soot or some other foreign substance? I dunno but it almost sounds like there might be something within the very top surface of the paint that you are just pushing around with the Cyclo.....something that washing and claying isn't completely removing.

It lived in FL for the first couple of years - but that is all I really know..... factory paint and lived in the salt air?>!?!??!?!

MirandaAutoSpa
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
would you be able to get any pics? What sort of maring/holograms are they exactly? They cant look like rotary induced holograms right?

Bates Detailing
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
would you be able to get any pics? What sort of maring/holograms are they exactly? They cant look like rotary induced holograms right?

Yes - they look like rotary induced holograms - only induced with a da!?!?!?! Holograms are created by heat right? At least that is what I have learned and told my clients - only these holograms couldn't have been created by heat - because using white pads with M205 and some mild speed behind them, there should be no holograms!?!?!? Slightly confused here lol.

Andr3wilson
01-03-2013, 10:12 PM
This is really puzzling. Maybe try a new polish? Give menz SF4000 on a red/black pad a shot. To my knowledge Megs 105/205 are SMAT, maybe a DAT polish like Menz might finish out better. How thick is the paint?

Come to think of it also, are you detailing in direct sunlight and/or outside? I had a problem with my PC the 3rd time I ever polished. I was in my garage (now my shop/showroom) with the door up in the morning (garage faces east) and I started on my black infiniti FX50 (super soft clear, flat paint), and the wind blew some dust or debris onto the surface. I induced a whole bunch of swirls (dust stuck under pad). Sun heated up the black paint super warm, making it softer

Just a few ideas.

MirandaAutoSpa
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Yes - they look like rotary induced holograms - only induced with a da!?!?!?! Holograms are created by heat right? At least that is what I have learned and told my clients - only these holograms couldn't have been created by heat - because using white pads with M205 and some mild speed behind them, there should be no holograms!?!?!? Slightly confused here lol.

I have induced DA type marring on paint before, but it doesnt look like true rotary trails. Hmmmm seems wierd to me......