PDA

View Full Version : Detaiing my New 2013 Subaru Outback - Brilliant Brown Pearl

Hdskullfire2
01-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi all,

Another newbe (with a Subie) Saying hello..

I'd like some input on my plan to keep the high shine on this new car, a Very limited edition 2013 Subaru Outback Limited with the Special Appearance Package (SAP) and even rarer Brilliant Brown Pearl (Only offered for 3 months during late 2012)

So here is what I have already.... I have a Griot's 6" DP and shortly a 3" DP, and Plenty of MF wipes and all the little items.

I plan to go initially with a wash, clay (If it needs), then going with the DP, Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, and finally a coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax for the system.. Body panels will be treated with 303 Aerospace protectant

Now here is what I need to know.. I've found several posts here and elsewhere that indicate the newer Subaru Clear Coat's are being described as "Soft". My question is should I be concerned with this???

At this point I've ordered most everything I need, and have some questions on the type of Pads I should use with the Blackfire System I mentioned above.. I already have 6.5 Lake Country's in Red, Blue, and Black. I also have Griot's 6.5 Pads in Red and Orange. I will be getting the 3" counterparts for the smaller 3" Griot's DP machine.

Surface condition is very good at this point and I'm not expecting anything other that maybe minor surface stuff once the winter season here is done. The car came detailed from the dealership a month ago but I don't know what they applied if any.. I only added a quick hand applied coat of Meguiar's GoldClass Carnauba just to get me through the winter.

I live in the Northeast part of the country in Pennsylvania and already we have had some snow.. They use a brine mix and a little salt right now and the car gets slimy after a short while in that stuff.

Assuming nothing major by spring, I plan to do the detail come the first set of 50 degree days.

Here is a couple shots of the car..

As delivered:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b561/hdskullfire2/D7K_5996-Version2.jpg

Just the other day from out first snow..
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b561/hdskullfire2/2FAF878D-4DE0-4FB2-861D-88E3190B5D94-2020-000000E585C800CF.jpg

So that's it from cold Bethlehem, Pa.

Let me know your thoughts.. And thanks in advance to all..

Steve Nordahl
Bethlehem, Pa.

hoyt66
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
welcome and congrats on the new ride.

primo spaghetti
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
if the paint is in good shape, you can forgo all the stuff you plan to buy (blackfire etc.), and use your Griots DA and a nice finish pad to apply OPT finish polish. that will make that colour really shine! then id be looking to Opti Coat her...for now, id hit it with any sealant/wax you have to stave off old man winter (since you are waiting to spring to so the correction), but OPT products work well together and dont require any IPA wipedown before applying the LSP from OPT. just wipe it down with a damp MF and youre good to go.

Opti Coat is permanenet and wont require any additional fussing, unless you want to top it (not necessary) but some report they like the smooth "feel" to the paint (which i have no idea why people rub their fingers on paint) by adding Optimum Car Wax or Optimum Intant Detailer. but relatively inexpensive excellent product in their own right.

Jrocket
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Welcome!

I recognize you from subaruoutbackforum

I also have a 13 outback w/ SAP but mine is White Satin Pearl.

I just recently did a full detail on mine with the help of some great forum members advice on here.

I will be posting pics this weekend.

One thing I will def recommend even though its a new car is

1. Carpro IronX first then
2. Claybar your car

3. Before sealing, Wax etc...

I didnt think my new car and new paint would benefit from it but took the advice from some senior members on Auto Geek
and couldnt be more impressed by the results.

PREP is def key :props:

I coated 2 coats of Menzerna Powerlock, Then 2 Coats of DODO JUICE LIght Fantastic, followed by Chemical Guys Hybrid V7. ( lengthy time but worth it )

Made the WHITE SATIN PEARL really POP.

I look forward to seeing your end results and what you choose to go with

- John

BTW Awesome color! I bet it will look very impressive when complete

The_2nd_G
01-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Love the car, LOVE the color.

detz86
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
The paint is " soft " but no need to worry I work on subarus every day .... In 2 years the only time I went through the clear was on a bird dropping and I sanded to far... I use a makita rotary and wool and have no issues with hurting paint on corrections.

That is a very beautiful color wish we got some north of the border :) but I would do as others said and put a good protector product as a base once prepared properly .... I just got opticoat and did a brz in rallye blue and a xv/crosstrek in Orange .... That stuff is Awsome to use and makes the paint look great.

Pj C. senior detailer at Subaru of Moncton.

Johny B
01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
:welcome:to AGO

Hdskullfire2
01-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.. I'm going to look into the items suggested.. However, I'm, a little concerned when I see something listed a "permanent" That word makes me a little uneasy.. Looking at the Opti 2 it makes me wonder if that is something I can handle as a newer user.. My goal is to get that glass like deep look..

So calm my fears..

Steve..

Hdskullfire2
01-04-2013, 09:01 AM
After looking around at the posts and video's I've been able to find I may in fact go with the Opti 2 after all.. I guess everything is prep based.. I'll clay first, then what should I use to polish initially??

After the Opti 2 is applied and cured, what would I use to wax if any??

Steve

Jrocket
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
DODO JUICE Blue Velvet

P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax

Any of these 3 would be excellent choices to finish off waxing with

JSou
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Nice Subaru. I'm looking at the crosstrek right now for my SUV replacement. Hope everything works out with whatever you decide to use.

Hdskullfire2
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks,

I just sent an email to the dealership that I purchased from and asked them to inquire as to what the new car prep guy used if any on the car.

I expect not, but I also don't want to seal anything until I know exactly what he did.. If nothing applied then I'm going one of two routes.. Either the Opti 2 method, or the a slightly modified Jrocket list of items..

Since it's a dark colored car I want to tailor this to that level..

Everything suggested looks like stuff I would want to work with.. I am a sponge when it comes to digesting information given.. I never go forward unless I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing and using the right products for my specific application..

Here is a closeup of the paint as delivered:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b561/hdskullfire2/95D92A11-D952-40C0-8FB0-29A2C55AC532-5270-0000028AF71F26E2.jpg
Steve..

primo spaghetti
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.. I'm going to look into the items suggested.. However, I'm, a little concerned when I see something listed a "permanent" That word makes me a little uneasy.. Looking at the Opti 2 it makes me wonder if that is something I can handle as a newer user.. My goal is to get that glass like deep look..

So calm my fears..

Steve..

just follow the very user friendly instructions...youll be fine...

there are good youtube tutorials too..you are right that prep is the key...and dont worry about it being permannet, it will remove if abraded (polished)...so youre fine that way.