PDA

View Full Version : Pine Sap in Winter?

detailing4me
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Do pine trees drop sap in winter? My car seems to be covered in tiny microscopic drops all over the car including the windows. For the time being, I have moved the car from under the trees, but was wondering what it might be. When I try to remove the dots with a microfiber towel, it just smears(doesn't seem to be sticky-just greasy and almost looks/feels like salt/sugar combination). Short of using a quick detailer everyday and moving the spot the car is parked at, is there anything else you think I could do?
When I have access to a camera later I can post a few pics.

Pureshine
01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Can you post a pic that would really help.

detailing4me
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I'll see if I can post a pic later. I did email a local expert and he seems to think it is "tiny insects that feed on the pine needles that excrete a product called honeydew. From your description of "tiny dots", I would say you most likely have some spruce spider mites or aphids in the pine trees above where you park the car."

So now my question is what can I use to cover the car? Of course, I have a black civic which will show all scratches and is a daily driver. Would it be possible to just get some flannel sheets and cover the more exposed areas of the car?

weekendwarrior
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Park elsewhere or cut tree down or buy car cover or deal with it until washed.?

jdscooby
01-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes they do. Had my 76 HiBoy elk hunting (end of Nov beginning of Dec) and after 2 weeks in the forest had not only had big drops of sap but a ton of the fine stuff

mullet
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I have the same problem and it's almost definitely the pine trees. I have 7 in my front yard and both mine and the wife's cars are covered in what seems to be the same little "dots." Only thing you really can do is keep it covered or deal with it until the next wash.

I clean the glass a lot more regularly than the paint since I have to see out of it. Stoner's Invisible Glass and a glass MF work just fine getting it off so I can see. I HATE pine trees but can't afford to get all of them cut down right now.