PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Pages : [1] 2

fdesalvo
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Hello! So glad I ran into this store/forum! Just ordered a black 2014 Mustang GT Prem with Track Pack, so I thought I'd join to become familiar with more advanced techniques and products for keeping this beast as defect free as possible.

Here's the old girl:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/frank_desalvo/fnt.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/frank_desalvo/de31f041.jpg

Looking forward to my shoulders and arms bulking up as a result of my new color choice.

Mike Phillips
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Love your car and the color is awesome!

:dblthumb2:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Welcome to AGO.

fdesalvo
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks, guys!

Mike – I was one of those guys driving a silver car who would say, “Have a look at that douche in that yellow car!” Next thing I know, I’m buying one! Sadly, she is on her way out. Sweet mercy, man, I've gone black. Still love the bright and obnoxious.

The only way for me to get a yellow Mustang would be to buy a Boss 302. It's a little out of my price range lol. I've been lurking here for a while and feel well equipped to handle a black car, but I know it's going to be a long road.

I only have access to DIY coin wash bays, which suits me fine, but i wish I had my own garage and driveway. The car will be garaged day and night, so that will be helpful. Any tips for a guy that may have to wash without a bucket? I'll sit back and relax while the inevitable, "Go buy two buckets and put them in your trunk" responses pour in! :D

CM8 6MT
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah get yourself some buckets man. Coin op? Have you looked into rinseless washes? They are pretty much the norm for most people here on AGO. Optimum, Pinnacle & Dodo make some really nice rinseless washes.

Welcome aboard!

fdesalvo
01-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks, CM8! I'm trying to wrap my mind around rinseless washes.

Klasse Act
01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Once you try it, there's NO TURNING BACK! You get your 2 five gallon buckets, 2 grit guards, choice of rinseless wash (I suggest DuraGloss) an Aqua sponge and measuring cup and your all set....oh yeah, a good mf drying towel or two.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

fdesalvo
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks, Klasse Act - diving deep into research land!

Klasse Act
01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Welcome to AG and no worries about your arms getting big, sealants and modern nubas have eliminated that!

Love the new Stangs!

I was messing around and spec'd out a GT and it cost me $42 and the local Ford dealership has a Boss 302 for $45, not much more but the black Stang will be sweet and those wheels look great from the track pak unless they changed them from 13? There's these gloss black wheels that look horribleN seen em' and hate em'!

Surely pics are going to follow and yeah, I live in an apartment and rinseless washes are the way to go! Even if I had a garage and hose, I'd stick with rinseless!

CM8 6MT
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM

I had the same issue. Coming from a guy who did all his waxing and polishing by hand, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using a DA machine. Once I learned the basics, I never looked back. I recently converted to rinseless washes, being so used to washing my cars the "old fashioned" way with sudsy soapy water. When I tried Optimum ONR for the first time I thought to myself " i cant believe im about to wash my car with this (looked like plain water). Man, was I amazed at how well it cleaned dirt right off, without scratching and better yet without rinsing. Highly recommend.

ihaveacamaro
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM

There are two popular methods of doing rinseless washes. The one with two buckets and what is known as the Garry Dean method. I prefer the Garry Dean method and made a short and easy to follow (at least I hope) video on it :dblthumb2:

I make these videos because I suspect there are others out there like me who would much rather just watch then read ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog]Rinseless Wash with Optimum No Rinse - Garry Dean Wash Method - YouTube[/video]

Hope it helps :)

Pureshine
01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the forum:)

cartman57
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck keeping your new girlfriend nice and shiney.
(the 2 bucket method ihaveacamaro posted is easy once you try it)

Johny B
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
:welcome:to AGO

fdesalvo
01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Boggles my feeble mind! I'll buy a couple buckets/grit guards and try the panel-by-panel approach. Totally appreciate your wisdom, brotha.

I had the same issue. Coming from a guy who did all his waxing and polishing by hand, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of using a DA machine. Once I learned the basics, I never looked back. I recently converted to rinseless washes, being so used to washing my cars the "old fashioned" way with sudsy soapy water. When I tried Optimum ONR for the first time I thought to myself " i cant believe im about to wash my car with this (looked like plain water). Man, was I amazed at how well it cleaned dirt right off, without scratching and better yet without rinsing. Highly recommend.

Same wheels! I plan on doing some mild suspension work and switching over to some SVT wheels, as well. That car needs some 10" wide wheels out back to handle all that torque lol. But, the wheels are the same from the 13 MY.

I'm not going to let the dealer wash the car - I'll drive it home with the sheets still on it and go through the new car detailing ritual: wash, Iron-X, clay if necessary, polish if neccessary, glaze/seal, and wax. I hope I don't have bad swirls - can't do anything about them for a couple months. Won't have a DA (or a place to plug one in) for a few, so I'm hoping for the best. I will def post up some pics when she arrives. I'm waiting on the window sticker and VIN along with the build date. Should get those within a couple weeks.

Welcome to AG and no worries about your arms getting big, sealants and modern nubas have eliminated that!

Love the new Stangs!

I was messing around and spec'd out a GT and it cost me $42 and the local Ford dealership has a Boss 302 for $45, not much more but the black Stang will be sweet and those wheels look great from the track pak unless they changed them from 13? There's these gloss black wheels that look horribleN seen em' and hate em'!

Surely pics are going to follow and yeah, I live in an apartment and rinseless washes are the way to go! Even if I had a garage and hose, I'd stick with rinseless!