PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba x2 muting? What happened here?

Cheetah
04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Last weekend I thought I'd try something that I'd never done before. I washed my car with a mix of meg's GC, a little IPA and a little dawn using a foam gun. I did that because I had given my friend's car a full detail the day before and I played soccer that morning so I was a little low on the motivation so I thought I could save time instead of using a paint cleaner. The car looked pretty bare as far as I could tell but I'm not really sure how much of the AW, souveran and UPP I had on there before had been removed.

Then I put a layer of 845 on and then topped that with Souveran. I really like the collinite look and of course I love Souveran but these 2 together were not what I expected. Yes, it still looked great and shiny blah blah blah but it didn't have that super wet look that the UPP and Souveran gave. On my car 845 looks very deep and shiny but this combo didn't look so deep and the shine was ok but not great.

So what happened here? Is it because I used 2 carnauba's together? Since carnauba has a distorting effect which gives warmth I'm thinking that the 2 waxes distorted the reflection of the paint too much and produced a somewhat muted effect. I was kind of disappointed because I was hoping on having 845 as my base which would last forever and then I could play with souveran and NB etc when I felt like it.

Have any of you more experienced autogeeks had this experience?

Thanks again.

klumzypinoy
05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I've never had experience with this but I am interested in the answer.

P1et
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
I don't think I've ever put two different waxes on top of each other!

Nica
05-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I can't say I have ever seen what you are describing Cheetah but I'm with P1et. I've never combined different waxes, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Curious to see what the answer is.

Good question.

coupe
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Carnuaba's tend to darken paint and on some colors it does give it the effect of muting the flake.

Mike T
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Carnuaba's tend to darken paint and on some colors it does give it the effect of muting the flake.
Absolutely.

budman3
05-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Especially with a "thick" carnauba like Collinite and the Souveran atop that gave you the muting effect. Some sealants like EX-P are great for their optically clarity, which looks good on metallic finish, and P21S / S100 I would throw in as a clear wax as well. So if you want a clear finish with a sealant and wax, EX-P and P21s / S100 would be a good route to try out.

ScottB
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
sounds like some of the ingredients or solvents were incompatible.

Nica
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Note to self don't mix waxes. Good to know.

supercharged
05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
sounds like some of the ingredients or solvents were incompatible.
Yep, that exactly what it is.

Cheetah
05-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Now that I've read my post again I think I understated the muted effect. It was quite muted. I definately won't do that again. Too bad.
Well, I'm very happy with the UPP/Souveran look so I will stick with that for awhile until the next experiment.

Thanks for the replies.

klumzypinoy
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
So nono to two different waxes :)