PDA

View Full Version : Can I Safely Exceed Weight Capacity on Werner Work Platform?

Pages : [1] 2

cpmatthew
01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Hey Folks,

I read several posts from people who were very excited when the Werner Work Platform was on sale at Home Depot for $17, so I went out to look for one. Trouble is, the stated capacity is 225 lbs. I am usually typing the scales at around 240. Most of these things have some safety factor built it. Would I be OK with the Werner or would I be better off with a Welt Built or some other similar platform with a 300 lbs capacity?

Thanks,
Chris

swanicyouth
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Hey Folks,

I read several posts from people who were very excited when the Werner Work Platform was on sale at Home Depot for $17, so I went out to look for one. Trouble is, the stated capacity is 225 lbs. I am usually typing the scales at around 240. Most of these things have some safety factor built it. Would I be OK with the Werner or would I be better off with a Welt Built or some other similar platform with a 300 lbs capacity?

Thanks,
Chris

I'm probably 275 and use mine all the time. Never felt unsafe on it. It's pretty well built. I think you'll be fine.

BobbyG
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm right about 230 and the only time I took a tumble was when I forgot to lock the legs...:doh:

There's always a built in safety factor and it's generally X2......

2old2change
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Bought mine about 4 yrs ago. I'm heavier now then I have ever been in my life at 255 and the platform holds up very well.

chris.ganucheau
01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I got on mine an I'm 350. I think I might be near the threshold of its limits because I can kinda feel it bend under me.

slimnib
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Hey Folks,

Thanks,
Chris

Someone once said, " You pay your money and take your chance". If it say;s 225 it means 225. If you break a leg or something worse, do not try to sue the manufacturer.

Good luck.

mikep288
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Would have to agree with everyone else. I'm around 245 - 250 and never felt unsafe on mine. With as lawyer-happy as everyone is nowadays, I'm sure they built-in plenty of margin for error. But with that said, see above! :iagree:

cartman57
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm at 250, use ladders at work with the same (250#) rating plus tools hanging off the sides. Never felt unsecure, locking the legs correctly of course.
Everything has it's limits and a potential for destruction if used improperly.

jpegs13
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
We're a rather "large" group aren't we.

daveinsweethome
01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
our secret is out. i found a fantastic step ladder with large treads, locking mechanism and a choice of heights. Little Giant. expensive but the best i have ever seen. give them to friends as gifts now.

fenderpicks
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
i think im starting to find out why i find the 3401 so hard to control for me..... Maybe because im only @ 150 lol

Audi X2
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
i think im starting to find out why i find the 3401 so hard to control for me..... Maybe because im only @ 150 lol

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cardaddy
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm right about 230 and the only time I took a tumble was when I forgot to lock the legs...:doh:

There's always a built in safety factor and it's generally X2......

I bet that was fun!

Remember, before you do this... :bolt:
Do this...:lock:

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if the SWF was at least 2:1 either. I know with equipment on recovery vehicles, (chains, cables, etc) it was 2.5:1. And a 8' recovery grade tow chain will stretch to right at 11' (and some of it you can push like a broom handle) before it breaks too! :eek:

Mike Phillips
01-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Very handy...

If you own a truck, van or suv, they are invaluable for working on the roof.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1290/54Ford83.jpg

They double as a chair for lower portions...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1290/54Ford80.jpg

If you detail a lot of tall vehicles, do yourself a huge favor and get two of these stands, it will save you time by not having to move a single stand from side to side as you work on the high portions.

They are light, the legs fold in and lock for storage and when you're standing on them they are stable unlike some other options like standing on a chair or bucket.

Plus, you can walk back and forth on the length of them and this helps a lot with long vehicles like SUVs.

:)

OMRebel
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm a safety engineer and can tell you there is definitely a safety factor, and it's likely higher than the 109% you're trying to put on it. However, you said, "can I 'safely' get on it"... weight limits are there for a reason. That being said, I've been building a shed all week swinging from rafters and standing on tops of ladders. :doh:

Good news is, if it ever collapses you don't have far to go.

I don't have much experience with weight limits... 150LBS here.