PDA

View Full Version : my first experience with Collinite 476s and 915

Pages : [1] 2

Speardog
01-01-2013, 03:18 AM
I'm new to the forums but not detailing. I just applied a coat of 476s over my dark blue Harley Davidson Ford F-250. I used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze prior to this application for surface prep. I then waited 24 hours and applied a coat of 915. I can honestly say that it was definitely work. One thing i noticed is that for some reason the wax did not want to spread easy. I had to really rub it into the paint. The truck looks pretty good. I applied it hoping for 6 months protection. I'm also going to top it with liquid Pinnacle Souveran for that wet look. Anyone else have problems with the Collinite pastes?

h83d
01-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Apply as thin as you can

Sent using AG Online

MarkD51
01-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I think it will be unavoidable when applying such hard Collinite Pastes to freshed cleaned-prepped paint, that the applicator is going to drag, and work you. That follow-up applications are of course easier, that the wax will then glide on easier.

Slightly dampening the applicator pad as you go helps the products spread easier for sure.

Sponge-Foam Pads seem to work a bit easier versus MF Applicators.

Temps, and relative humidity can also effect application-removal. Mark

MarkD51
01-01-2013, 07:31 AM
From my readings here in the few months I've been here, it seems many of the forumites prefer to use one of the Collinite Waxes as a product that goes on top of another product, such as a synthetic Sealant.

Thus in those scenarios, any of the Collinite Waxes no doubt apply easier, and remove easier since the surface is already sealed.

Of course there's nothing at all wrong with initial application of any Collinite product. I've been doing such for years on many vehicles, most were my own, and they are products that will be worth the effort to use.

My Tahoe in my Avatar has been mostly protected during its life with Collinite. And it's probably one main reason the paint has held up so well for all these years.

Without a doubt, it is a product that is always worth coming back to, and use. Mark

BobbyG
01-01-2013, 07:59 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Collinite 476 & 915 are what I call "old time paste waxes". Both waxes require much more effort to ally correctly and the best way I've found is with a dual action polisher.

The normal operation of a dual action polishers allows the product to be spread evenly across the finish and it can be applied nice and thin. As the pad begins to spread the product normal friction aids in softening the wax making it easy to spread. As it hazes buff off as usual to a brilliant shine.

bikeride4fun
01-01-2013, 08:50 AM
:welcome: to AGO....I have never used Collinite...How does it compare to Souveran paste?

BuckeyeR/T
01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
I have never used 476 but have lots of experience with 915. My best results are to use it after what ever I use to prep the paint (polish, cleaner etc). I have never second coated or topped it with anything to reach the desired results. That includes the 6 months of protection. Thin is best, DA application and removal is even better
Welcome!

MarkD51
01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Agree with Bobby mostly, about these leaning towards being "old time paste waxes", but still, there might be some forumites who may remember products like the original Blue Coral Paste, and others like Simonize? There were of course many others back then, and probably everyone had a Paste Wax.

Other Pastes I used to use back in the early 70's was Trewax Boat Wax, and Slipstream. Both could be referred to as hard Pastes, and both were excellent. Not sure about Slipstream, but Trewax might still be made?

http://s3.shipstore.com/ss/images/mkt/mkt66-400x400.jpg

Out of all, I'd say Blue Coral was about the hardest to work with, one would have to perhaps only work an 18" square section at a time, apply, then immediately remove, otherwise it would work you to death.

Any of the Collinite products by comparison I've found to be night and day in regards to "brutality" to the old Blue Coral as far as application, and removal. Mark

y8s
01-01-2013, 09:34 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Collinite 476 & 915 are what I call "old time paste waxes". Both waxes require much more effort to ally correctly and the best way I've found is with a dual action polisher.

The normal operation of a dual action polishers allows the product to be spread evenly across the finish and it can be applied nice and thin. As the pad begins to spread the product normal friction aids in softening the wax making it easy to spread. As it hazes buff off as usual to a brilliant shine.

agree totally.

I did a coat of 476 with a DA and it went on easy. I removed it with microfiber bonnets and it came off just as easily.

The best part is, you don't have to limit yourself to super thin coats with this method. You just might need more removal bonnets if you go too thick.

vet
01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Welcome!

01GreyStangGT
01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I too used a DA the last time I used 476. Definitely made it easier.

BobbyG
01-01-2013, 11:00 AM
:welcome: to AGO....I have never used Collinite...How does it compare to Souveran paste?

Pinnacle Souveran is a beautiful wax that adds both wetness and depth to dark colors and especially metallics. The only drawback I've ever found is it's durability isn't quite there and in 4 to 6 weeks it's gone...

In my opinion Pinnacle Souveran is a fine wax and is designed to really make the finish glisten and look it's best but not to protect it long term through a harsh New England winter..

Collinite products are simply amazing. Their durability is legendary and the glossy shine is outstanding. Collinite products are great performers and Collinite 845 is one of my favorite waxes...

bikeride4fun
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Pinnacle Souveran is a beautiful wax that adds both wetness and depth to dark colors and especially metallics. The only drawback I've ever found is it's durability isn't quite there and in 4 to 6 weeks it's gone...

In my opinion Pinnacle Souveran is a fine wax and is designed to really make the finish glisten and look it's best but not to protect it long term through a harsh New England winter..

Collinite products are simply amazing. Their durability is legendary and the glossy shine is outstanding. Collinite products are great performers and Collinite 845 is one of my favorite waxes...

Thanks for the feedback.....I guess the Pinnacle products is more of a "show car" line...

mwoolfso
01-01-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm new to the forums but not detailing. I just applied a coat of 476s over my dark blue Harley Davidson Ford F-250. I used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze prior to this application for surface prep. I then waited 24 hours and applied a coat of 915. I can honestly say that it was definitely work. One thing i noticed is that for some reason the wax did not want to spread easy. I had to really rub it into the paint. The truck looks pretty good. I applied it hoping for 6 months protection. I'm also going to top it with liquid Pinnacle Souveran for that wet look. Anyone else have problems with the Collinite pastes?

Welcome. Why do you suspect it the wax was hard to spread?

Mc'lovin
01-01-2013, 01:30 PM

BobbyG,

Could you advise how do you get Collinite 915 onto the DA pad?
You can't take the whole chunk that is in the jar outside like I've seen Mike Phillips do with Pinnacle Souveran, so how do you do it?