PDA

View Full Version : Waterless + Sponge

DiPaoro
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Now that the winter is here and my watering hose is frozen, I plan to go with the waterless wash. Can this be done with a sponge or do I need Micro-Chenille Wash Mitts?

If the Micro-Chenille Wash Mitts are the way to go, then do the various colors make a difference? Which is best for Black cars?

vman
12-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I think you may be talking about rinseless washes. They can be done with grout sponges, wash mitts and microfiber towels. I like to use the meguiars microfiber mitt for a rinseless.

If you're asking about the color of the chenille mitt that is on bogo then they are all the same except color. The purple, gray, and gold were meant for paint and the black for wheels to hide the dirt.

cartman57
12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Gary Dean wash method.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/58402-my-video-gary-dean-rinseless-wash-method.html

jjj
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Huge fan of Dean method. With proper pre soak you can get a mid to heavily soild vehix. Just did wifes car after days of snow rain and road salts.

CM8 6MT
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Now that the winter is here and my watering hose is frozen, I plan to go with the waterless wash. Can this be done with a sponge or do I need Micro-Chenille Wash Mitts?

If the Micro-Chenille Wash Mitts are the way to go, then do the various colors make a difference? Which is best for Black cars?

Some people like to use plush Cobra microfiber towels. Others dedicated wash mitts. I personally use a microfiber wash mitt. Whatever you choose, make sure you dont scrub the panel your washing in order to mininize the chance of swirls/scratches.

DiPaoro
12-31-2012, 06:38 PM
You are correct.... rinse-less....

I use one of those Lowes Grout Sponges.

However, I am very concerned with scratching the paint. I did watch the video and would try two buckets with one sponge.

swanicyouth
12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
In my mind, sponges just drag dirt across paint. I could be wrong, that's just how it seems.

The GDWM is truly the way to go.Forget rinsing towels in a 2BM. Just get a bunch of towels and let the washing machine clean them. I always still use a hose for wheels. Last night I had the hose out in 38 degree weather. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts.

For some reason the Cobra towels don't work well for me during rinseless washes. The towels don't want to stay folded in fours when I wipe the panel. It's as if they are too grabby or something. I'm talking specifically about the grey and black 530s.

Anyone else notice this?

In fact, I bought a stack of them for GDMWs, and now I'm not too fond of them.

I tried a less dense, but "fluffier" towel like a Eurow Shag and the difference was night and day.

It's really best to pre-rinse the dirt off someplace like a coin-op car wash and drive it home if need be. Most of the time I just drag all my stuff to the coin-op and do a waterless/rinseless there. You can work in a bay for a long time when its cold. People will just think your crazy for washing your car by hand in the cold.

CM8 6MT
12-31-2012, 09:39 PM
It's really best to pre-rinse the dirt off someplace like a coin-op car wash and drive it home if need be. Most of the time I just drag all my stuff to the coin-op and do a waterless/rinseless there.

I tried ONRWW for the first time a few days ago. I pre-rinse my car's lower panels that got globs of mud or dirt on them.

DaHen
12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
For some reason the Cobra towels don't work well for me during rinseless washes. The towels don't want to stay folded in fours when I wipe the panel. It's as if they are too grabby or something. I'm talking specifically about the grey and black 530s.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes. They don't like to stay folded. Always get bunched up into a ball.

CM8 6MT
12-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Yes. They don't like to stay folded. Always get bunched up into a ball.

Really? I just ordered some Cobra 600 jrs to use for spray wax. If they dont stay folded doesnt that defeat its purpose? These are my first Cobras by the way. Havent tried them yet.

07gtcs
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Really? I just ordered some Cobra 600 jrs to use for spray wax. If they dont stay folded doesnt that defeat its purpose? These are my first Cobras by the way. Havent tried them yet.

I love mine for spray wax/QD/and WW.