PDA

View Full Version : What type of scratches can polish fix?

Pages : [1] 2

itisthumper
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I had my car opti-coated in November and today I was standing on a curb next to my car and as I stepped down, I accidentally stepped on part of the bumper. With rocks and grime stuck under my sandles, it scratched the bumper. It's not deep but I'm not sure if it is that light either.

Is it safe to say that the scratch only went into the opti-coat and it can be polished out?

Mike Phillips
12-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Is it safe to say that the scratch only went into the opti-coat and it can be polished out?

You have to polish it out no matter what so just use the least aggressive approach and then re-coat.

The coating is pretty thin so chances are if you can see the scratches they are through the coating and into the paint.

:)

BobbyG
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Optimum Opti-Coat (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html) is a permanent hard coating and the only way to fix this is to polish in order to remove the scratches then reapply the Opti-Coat...

itisthumper
12-31-2012, 03:53 PM
If I can "hide" these scratches to the point it would be invisible to the naked eye, it would be enough. It's the second time Ive done this but this time it was much worse.

I just hope the Opti-Coat minimized the scratching onto the clear coat and paint

Rsurfer
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
If I can "hide" these scratches to the point it would be invisible to the naked eye, it would be enough. It's the second time Ive done this but this time it was much worse.

I just hope the Opti-Coat minimized the scratching onto the clear coat and paint

What do you plan to hide it with?

Flatlander
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
If I can "hide" these scratches to the point it would be invisible to the naked eye, it would be enough.

If you're thinking of applying a wax/sealant/AIO to fill the scratches, it won't last for than a wash or two. The opti-coat (guard) is designed to release EVERYTHING applied rather quickly. The only way to hide them would be to remove them with polishing and re-coat the area.:buffing:

itisthumper
12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
What do you plan to hide it with?
With polish

DaveT435
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
I had my car opti-coated in November and today I was standing on a curb next to my car and as I stepped down, I accidentally stepped on part of the bumper. With rocks and grime stuck under my sandles, it scratched the bumper. It's not deep but I'm not sure if it is that light either.

I'm still trying to imagine how you step off a curb and the bottom of your foot ends up on the bumper lol

itisthumper
12-31-2012, 09:46 PM
My car is low lol.. and I parked really close to the curb so the car to the other side wont hit me when opening the door

Rsurfer
12-31-2012, 09:56 PM
With polish
So why not remove it instead of hiding it?

itisthumper
12-31-2012, 10:02 PM
So why not remove it instead of hiding it?
Does polish really "remove" scratches? If so then my fault

CM8 6MT
12-31-2012, 10:06 PM

It will if its a polish with abbrasives. If its a "pure polish" like Meguiars #7 which is a glaze, then obviously it wont.

Rsurfer
12-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Detailer's call a polish which has an abrasive that will remove marring and scratches. LSP's are waxes, sealants and coatings. It can get confusing as some manufactures will call their waxes, polishes.

Mike Phillips
01-02-2013, 08:51 AM
It can get confusing as some manufactures will call their waxes, polishes.

That's why I wrote this article...

Word Definitions - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Paint Cleaners and Waxes (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/CompoundpolishCleanerGlaze.jpg

Explains how to figure out what a product is by what it does, not by the name on the label.

It can be found in my article list (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html) under this heading...

Words mean things... just ask any Lawyer...

:xyxthumbs:

vegas911gts
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm still trying to imagine how you step off a curb and the bottom of your foot ends up on the bumper lol

Same here.