PDA

View Full Version : Paul Dalton Rotary Video.....

Pages : [1] 2

justin_murphy
04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Paul just emailed me this short (30 seconds) video of him using the rotary. I will find out what pad, speed, and chemical was being used.

Hope you all enjoy.

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39XL2YnEvRM)

sneek
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I can't comment on the product but I think he is using a 3M backing plate with a Meguiar's W8006 pad. I could be very wrong though

joe.p
04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Bump on the BP..

budman3
04-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Cool video but there isn't much about it I like... and this shouldn't be something beginners learn off of.

A few things-
1- He is probably doing a final polish- he makes it look easy because of his experience... I suggest not trying his techinques
2- One handed operation- no go, the buffer can hop and litterally jump out of your hands, if not careful... causing bodily or paint damage.
3- Moving the machine with arms, not body. The buffer isn't always flat, meaning a greater chance of holograms.
4- Pressure variences- sometimes he uses pressure, sometimes not...(this could be because of isolated problems though)

This is by no means trying to knock Paul, just informing some people who think this is the right thing to do because Paul does it, which isn't right. I'm sure he has plenty of experience and knows what he is doing, but posting it here may give some people a false sense of security... of course this is my humble opinion.

orngez
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
he is definitely using a finishing pad and polish..his technique will work if you know what you are doing and looking for...and he is working on a very flat hood...not something you would do obviously on any other panel...for the inexperienced user i wouldnt do what he is doing...but what he is doing is very similar to what i do on flat easy to work on panels with finishing polishes and pads...just takes experience to know what to look out for...

budman3
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
he is definitely using a finishing pad and polish..his technique will work if you know what you are doing and looking for...and he is working on a very flat hood...not something you would do obviously on any other panel...for the inexperienced user i wouldnt do what he is doing...but what he is doing is very similar to what i do on flat easy to work on panels with finishing polishes and pads...just takes experience to know what to look out for...

OK, I agree and that is what I was trying to say... thanks :p

trhland
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
thats it im going to buy some of that zymol wax that paul uses. anyone want to go halfsees:D

sneek
04-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Bump on the BP..

Oh, its a 3M. I asked him. I looked on the 3M site and I can't find it, so maybe its an older one.

justin_murphy
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
It's a 3M pad. True, experience is needed for what he is doing. This in no way a tutorial video nor a chance to critique him. I use my PC and Cyclo one hand a lot.......and not for finishing. I let it finish out a compound like this though. Many have asked me over and over how can I use a harsh compound/pad setup and get it LSP ready. I simply use the same technique in this video.

Some would be scared to death to even buff with their PC's handle off more less one hand it. It just takes time and practice. Even though I've only done this for 14 months, I've fully detailed over 200 cars and mainly SUV's. This has giving me the education of trial and error that a hobbyist cannot get. The same for Paul.

P1et
04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Just an honest question: is he famous because he charges so much money and uses very exclusive wax, or is it truly that he is the best of the best in the car detailing industry?

To put Justin on the spot: you do this as a full-time job, just as Paul does. How would you compare his skills to yours (of course, if you would have have the same products)?

Nica
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM
That is a very interesting video, I personally like the technique and will try it out shortly. Okay the pad is 3M but what about the backing plate that is a sweet looking backing plate. Any one know what kind or make that backing plate is?

Very good video, thank you for sharing.

Nimble
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
that man is going to be a hunchback in 5 yrs, wow, bad posture.

3Dog
04-30-2007, 10:36 PM
It's a 3M pad. True, experience is needed for what he is doing. This in no way a tutorial video nor a chance to critique him. I use my PC and Cyclo one hand a lot.......and not for finishing. I let it finish out a compound like this though. Many have asked me over and over how can I use a harsh compound/pad setup and get it LSP ready. I simply use the same technique in this video.

Some would be scared to death to even buff with their PC's handle off more less one hand it. It just takes time and practice. Even though I've only done this for 14 months, I've fully detailed over 200 cars and mainly SUV's. This has giving me the education of trial and error that a hobbyist cannot get. The same for Paul.
PC's have handles? :)

r_wain
04-30-2007, 11:00 PM
PC's have handles? :)

Exactly what I thought...If mine came with one it might still in the box still in the plastic. I also use the PC one handed and never had a problem...I thought that was common practice. I can't say anything about the rotary since I have never used one but it will be here within the next six months.

justin_murphy
05-01-2007, 06:14 AM
I've seen several use the rotary without the handle in. I actually put in bolts where the handle should be on my PC. This keeps it from rattling while using it one handed. Customer's seemed to not like that noise!