PDA

View Full Version : Any Tuf Shine tire coating users here?

Pages : [1] 2

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering any of you here uses Tuf Shine tire coating.

I am having some problem with mine.... The other day i went to NTB to get a alignment and the people there decide to spray some sort of OTS tire dressing on my coated tires.
So i had to use a brush and other chemicals to remove that oily stuff, and it removed probably 50% of the tuf shine on my tires.

It left like spots of the coating left all over my tire. I tried my hardest to remove the coating but they seem to be stuck on my tires good. So i decide to just use the tuf shine coating to cover it up.

Now 24hrs later, my tires have like bubbles and what not from the tuf shine coating, and when i hold a flashlight to it, there places that looks in brownish color.

Does anyone know what chemical can remove tuf shine?
Because at this point i am just ready to start using the normal tire dressing again.

DEADF15H
12-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm sitting here looking at my Tuf Shine Kit and wondering if I should put it on my wife's car.
Guess I'll wait, wondering if you might be able to go through the process again. It's a lotta work, but may be a solution. I imagine you will get an knowledgeable response within a few days after the holidays.

KillaCam
12-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I would've just used soap and water to wash it off. And if that didn't work, just wait for it to run off when it rains, leaving behind your tuf shine underneath.

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I tried using just soap and water, that oily dressing was still there....
but i kind of wanted to remove the coating at that point anyways.
Because it started to bubble and turned brown.
And the most annoying part was, for some reason the outer side of the tire is darker and as it goes towards the center is lighter....
it just looked really weird....

PS: I just got done scrubbing my front 2 tires... I posted this thread before i got started it....
And there still tiny pieces of coating stuck between my white wall letters....

swanicyouth
12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
If your still having an issue, I suggest emailing the company, Tuff Shine. I did that when I was having some issues, and one of the owners (Bob) set up a time we could talk on the phone. He called me right on time, solved my issue, and mailed me some free cleaner. It's a great company. I'm sorry your having a problem. I'm assuming you have already tried the Tuff Shine tire cleaner and brush in liberal amounts?

primo spaghetti
12-30-2012, 03:17 PM
what were the "other chemicals" that you used?

sound like they are causing your bonding issue and repelling the tough shine..

also, a picture is worth 1000 words!

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
If your still having an issue, I suggest emailing the company, Tuff Shine. I did that when I was having some issues, and one of the owners (Bob) set up a time we could talk on the phone. He called me right on time, solved my issue, and mailed me some free cleaner. It's a great company. I'm sorry your having a problem. I'm assuming you have already tried the Tuff Shine tire cleaner and brush in liberal amounts?

I gave Bob a called already yesterday, he told me to try the blech white cleaner from local store.. it didnt help.
And i used to have a huge jug of the tire cleaner. now i am down to 1/4. Started off with half jug yesterday, so yea i tried their tire cleaner already lol

I have used Blech white, meg super degreaser, meg apc, tuf shine tire cleaner, goo gone.
I used all the other chemical first, and at the final scrub i used the tuf shine cleaner.
So the other chemical shouldnt have caused any bonding issue

Inferno
12-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Do you have CG Grime Reaper? I tried Tuf shine right after it came out and that stuff gets real hard real fast and is a mess to use imo. I didn't know how hard it would get until I got a few streaks around the lips of my rims and it wouldn't wipe off, I had to buff it off with compound. After a month or two it started to wear off slightly in some places faster than others (they state you can just light clean and add a new coat to rejuvenate the finish, which after a few times of doing that it forms a slick glass like barrier over your tire. I then decided I didn't like it because it interfered with normal tire grip on the streets and especially at the race track. The only thing In my arsenal (I also tried belch) that would take it off was Grime reaper, I can't remember if I diluted it. I taped off around my wheel lip first since Grime reaper is a heavy alkaline degreaser. Then I brushed vigorously and it came off with multiple passes. Good luck, and my advice unless you really like it is to stop using it, it's more of a pain and nuisance in the long run. My favorite is Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright, I get about 3 weeks out of it with daily driving.

ScottB
12-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Perhaps something like ARO ???

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
What's ARO?

RMM
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
What's ARO?

Spray on Amazing Roll Off and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazing-roll-off.html)

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
ohh, i already tried that lol
ARO was my first choice of chemical, it didnt do anything to the coating....

And i do not have any grime reaper =[

pcw25
12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
You try OPC or have D103 or something? It should work. Or any of the Zep cleaners?

fenderpicks
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Hmm.. i dont have any OPC or D103.
I tried mixing 4 oz of mineral spirits with 12oz water, it didnt help

pcw25
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Hmm.. i dont have any OPC or D103.
I tried mixing 4 oz of mineral spirits with 12oz water, it didnt help

Try the Zep products....you can usually find them at Lowe's or The Home Depot.