PDA

View Full Version : Swrils wont go?

Pages : [1] 2

italpasta
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
So I took the opportunity to detail the car…my friends lancer ralliart. (decent amount of swirled).
I used the LC pads as stated before. I pre washed them after taking the advice of other people…
SO this morning I put on the orange pad using SSR 2.5 Hit the car after the claybar had dried and was wiped off. Working smooth like the video until I remove it… The swirls remain..possible the odd one disappeard. Now im left confused I made sure everything was similar..pressure, speed ect and no results. I played with detail spray on the pad or not, more product ect.

Being a little upset I tested out the SSR1 with the white pad and no luck either (aside from a nice shine).

FYI, I tried the hood, spoiler, side panel. I washed the white pad and tried it with the 2.5…same thing.
Im not saying I want the swirls all gone but im assuming some should have gone..

Some help would be much appreciated.

Mike T
04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
YOu just might have to step up the pad/product combo. Another rare possibility is that the swirls are under the clearcoat. What speed did you work the product? How long did you give it to break down?

italpasta
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I did the same like the XMT vid... worked it in until it went translucent. Wish i had the digi cam handy prob in a couple hours i can take a pic...they're above the clear i believe(level with paint). I think the pad combo is ok only cuz i saw some crazy results with it on this board..

i worked it at 3 till it was even... then i put it at 5.....applied pressure. I tried 6k later on, no go though.

Mike T
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Hmmm..... Very strange. I myself have had success with SSR2.5. Are you working in direct sunlight? I know PB's product work in direct sunlight, but the surface might still be to hot and the product is drying up before it has time to really break down.
They just might be severe enough to warrant more passes with the SSR combo.

italpasta
04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Hmmm..... Very strange. I myself have had success with SSR2.5. Are you working in direct sunlight? I know PB's product work in direct sunlight, but the surface might still be to hot and the product is drying up before it has time to really break down.
They just might be severe enough to warrant more passes with the SSR combo.

I agree.. it in the garage no sun at all.... i did 3 passes on the hood. Im positive it broke down i mean after working it in and its was translucent it wiped off with ease!.

Im not saying anything about the product...im just pissed cuz i saw one dude with a truck remove spider web swirls and it wont work for me.

Mike T
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I understand your frustration. Owning a black car I get frustrated on a regular bases. I'd have to say, step up the polish and make a couple of passes. The SSR just might not be strong enough. Also cars that have a hard clearcoat can take some time to remove imperfections.

italpasta
04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I understand your frustration. Owning a black car I get frustrated on a regular bases. I'd have to say, step up the polish and make a couple of passes. The SSR just might not be strong enough. Also cars that have a hard clearcoat can take some time to remove imperfections.

thanks for the quick respnses im recharging the batteries found the old camera.... ill post some pics asap

FloridaNative
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
How many minutes are you working the polish once you bump the PC up to high speed? I find it usually takes about 5 minutes for a polish to break down completely. What size sections are you working? Did you try a second pass in the same location and see if it improved the swirls? I've had good sucess with PB's too. I wonder why the 2.5 isn't working for you. I'd try the same section again with a more aggressive pad, work a 2' X 2' area for 5 minutes with the yellow pad and see what happens. The car's clearcoat may be particularly hard. After the yellow pad I'd step down to 1.0 with the white pad again for 5 minutes to remove the hazing induced by the yellow pad and then inspect the area and see how it looks. I hope this is helpful to you.

budman3
04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
How many minutes are you working the polish once you bump the PC up to high speed? I find it usually takes about 5 minutes for a polish to break down completely. What size sections are you working? Did you try a second pass in the same location and see if it improved the swirls? I've had good sucess with PB's too. I wonder why the 2.5 isn't working for you. I'd try the same section again with a more aggressive pad, work a 2' X 2' area for 5 minutes with the yellow pad and see what happens. The car's clearcoat may be particularly hard. After the yellow pad I'd step down to 1.0 with the white pad again for 5 minutes to remove the hazing induced by the yellow pad and then inspect the area and see how it looks. I hope this is helpful to you.

I agree, but I'd try sticking with the oragne pad if it were me. Spread on lower speed and then go up to speed 6 for a long time. Do slow, overlapping strokes, side to side, up and down, corner to corner, on a 2 x 2 area... Go slow... don't move the polisher fast, apply a thin bead of SSR2.5 around the edge of the pad (anything less won't be effective, any more would be overkill), work it in for a while, then report back to us.

italpasta
04-30-2007, 03:20 PM

i worked the 2x2 for at least 5mins...didnt cut coners. I dont have a yellow pad...thats the problem...on my way to take pics.. ;)

italpasta
04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Here the pic.. FYI again i passed the hood like 3 times.
file:///E:/DCIM/101SSCAM/S3600007.JPG
Not sure how to link here they are > Index of /ralliart (http://smnetworks.ca/ralliart/)

you can tell that it didnt work in much even on multipass... i displayed the pads as well.file:///E:/DCIM/101SSCAM/S3600001.JPG

italpasta
04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
I agree, but I'd try sticking with the oragne pad if it were me. Spread on lower speed and then go up to speed 6 for a long time. Do slow, overlapping strokes, side to side, up and down, corner to corner, on a 2 x 2 area... Go slow... don't move the polisher fast, apply a thin bead of SSR2.5 around the edge of the pad (anything less won't be effective, any more would be overkill), work it in for a while, then report back to us.

Hey i screwed up the pic post anyways... i did go very slow overlapping ect. like it was broken down then i removed it but nothing i suppose i could try 1 last time. and tape it off
check out the pics

FloridaNative
04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Here the pic.. FYI again i passed the hood like 3 times.
file:///E:/DCIM/101SSCAM/S3600007.JPG
Not sure how to link here they are > Index of /ralliart (http://smnetworks.ca/ralliart/)

you can tell that it didnt work in much even on multipass... i displayed the pads as well.file:///E:/DCIM/101SSCAM/S3600001.JPG

Wow! I'm so sorry that the PB's didn't do it for you. :( I wonder if you have one of those exceptionally hard clear coat?. Those take special polishes to make a dent in the swirls. It really makes me wonder how cars with clears like that get swirls anyway being so hard. lol I'm really sorry it's not working for you. I'm sure you must be feeling very frustrated right about now. :(

italpasta
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
i just did a 2x2 after taping it off with green tape. Same thing it just wont go away
and like i know some ppl might not do it correctly the first time but i mean im pushing
its just not going through or its too rough?

italpasta
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
well it just got waxed for the time being. I will try out this orange pad on an older truck when i have a chance. Really curious to see where the problem lies, i hope none of you encouter the same crap...hehe if anyone comes across a reason (maybe they know mitz clear coat or whatever) dont hesitate to post.

Thank you all.