PDA

View Full Version : Paint gauges

Pages : [1] 2

Ryry11
12-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm looking to buy a paint gauge, but I am completely lost as to what I'm looking for. Detailing is my hobby, not my profession, so this isn't something ill be using day in and out. I'm definitely not looking to break the bank either. Preferably I'd like to spend as little as possible, obviously I realize they're not cheap at all, but would like to spend less than $200 if that's even possible. Does anybody have/know of a reliable brand that makes a reliable gauge? Again this is just for personal use. Any and all feedback is appreciated

Rsurfer
12-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Google Highline paint gauge.

psynx
12-30-2012, 02:59 AM
i just bought the highline paint gauge, for personal use i think 200-250 is very well priced. its a lil off gotta keep re calibrating it though is my only complain about it

Rsurfer
12-30-2012, 03:33 AM
i just bought the highline paint gauge, for personal use i think 200-250 is very well priced. its a lil off gotta keep re calibrating it though is my only complain about it
Don't expect perfect numbers all the time.

AutowerxDetailing
12-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Try searching a "popular auction site" for this: CM8801FN. I own one, it works perfectly. It looks almost exactly like the Highline Meter II. I would be willing to bet the internals are identical...

If you choose this model make sure you get the one that reads "FN" because there are cheaper ones that are only "F" or "N" which means they don't measure coatings on all types of metals. The "FN" unit will measure Ferromagnetic and Non-Ferromagnetic surfaces.

Ryry11
12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=psynx;787744]i just bought the highline paint gauge, for personal use i think 200-250 is very well priced. its a lil off gotta keep re calibrating it though is my only complain about it[/QUOTE
How do you recalibrate it and how do you know it's off?

swanicyouth
12-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I bought this one on EBay for $110 bucks. Seems to work well. I use it infrequently, so each use requires a quick calibration.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/30/sedapequ.jpg

FUNX650
12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Just about the time a person may feel comfortable using their "price-point choice" of
magnetic, eddy current (or a combination of both) EPTG's...

They may realize that many OEM's do not use 'metals' for many vehicle components...
Such as: bumpers and mirrors. (Many horrific-tales of CC-gaffs on bumpers)

Also...
One may also be confronted with vehicles that are mostly comprised of painted plastics, resins, and composites panels.

What, then, is the remedy for measuring the paint-film thicknesses applied to'Non-Metal' vehicle panels??

-The price-points of reliable ultrasonic paint thickness gauges (UPTG) vary from ~ $2,000-$4,000!! :eek:

:)

Bob

Rsurfer
12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=psynx;787744]i just bought the highline paint gauge, for personal use i think 200-250 is very well priced. its a lil off gotta keep re calibrating it though is my only complain about it[/QUOTE

By using the shims that comes with the gauge.

Kevin Cullen
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
What about the Defelsko PosiTest DFT Combo Electronic Paint Thickness Gauge? It is $695.00. Is it reliable and accurate? AG sells this brand so I am assuming it is of good quality. Who ever has one please comment on it. Thanks.

Andr3wilson
12-30-2012, 01:15 PM
What about the Defelsko PosiTest DFT Combo Electronic Paint Thickness Gauge? It is $695.00. Is it reliable and accurate? AG sells this brand so I am assuming it is of good quality. Who ever has one please comment on it. Thanks.

I have one of these for my detailing work. They are expensive, but I mainly got it because I know defelsko is a good company and if I have a problem I can take it back to where I bought it and get a new one.

I also bought it because it is accurate within +/-5%. According the Mike Phillips detailing bible; the one you choose should be less than +/-5%.

I love this little tool and it has really saved me a few times.

Only problem with paint thickness gauges, irregardless of the accuracy, as the paint heats up (from polishing) it expands and get thicker (talking microns here). So you can take a measurement, start cutting, take another measurement on the warm panel and see it is the exact same as your first.

For personal use, get the ebay one. You know how many times you have polished your car, and how its cared for. Also for the amount of times it will be used, not worth dropping $700+ on one. For professional use definitely get a defelsko that can measure non metal panels.

Kevin Cullen
12-30-2012, 02:51 PM
I have one of these for my detailing work. They are expensive, but I mainly got it because I know defelsko is a good company and if I have a problem I can take it back to where I bought it and get a new one.

I also bought it because it is accurate within +/-5%. According the Mike Phillips detailing bible; the one you choose should be less than +/-5%.

I love this little tool and it has really saved me a few times.

Only problem with paint thickness gauges, irregardless of the accuracy, as the paint heats up (from polishing) it expands and get thicker (talking microns here). So you can take a measurement, start cutting, take another measurement on the warm panel and see it is the exact same as your first.

For personal use, get the ebay one. You know how many times you have polished your car, and how its cared for. Also for the amount of times it will be used, not worth dropping $700+ on one. For professional use definitely get a defelsko that can measure non metal panels.

Thanks for the info. The shop is getting busier and i need a good gauge. The combo says it can do ferrous and non- ferrous surfaces so it should be good to go.:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info. The shop is getting busier and i need a good gauge. The combo says it can do ferrous and non- ferrous surfaces so it should be good to go.:xyxthumbs:

Except for these scenarios:

...many OEM's do not use 'metals' for many vehicle components...
Such as: bumpers and mirrors. (Many horrific-tales of CC-gaffs on bumpers)

Also...
One may also be confronted with vehicles that are mostly comprised of painted plastics, resins, and composites panels.

What, then, is the remedy for measuring the paint-film thicknesses applied to'Non-Metal' vehicle panels??

-The price-points of reliable ultrasonic paint thickness gauges (UPTG) vary from ~ $2,000-$4,000!! :eek:

Time for purchasing either the:
-DeFelsko PosiTector 200 B/Standard; or, DeFelsko PosiTector 200B/Advanced

Economically priced ~ $2100 or so.

Bob

Andr3wilson
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Except for these scenarios:

Time for purchasing either the:
-DeFelsko PosiTector 200 B/Standard; or, DeFelsko PosiTector 200B/Advanced

Economically priced ~ $2100 or so.

Bob

Here is my next toy Rhopoint IQ Gloss Meter (http://www.gloss-meters.com/Rhopoint_IQ_2060.html)
Very economical at $3700 :D

Basically steel, iron, and aluminum panels. Unless you are solely doing corvettes and CF supercars, you are good! Albertans gotta stick together in this confusion ;)

psynx
12-30-2012, 05:56 PM

yea what rsurfer said, it comes with 2 metal shims and some plastic samples with the thickness written on them. theres 4 of them