PDA

View Full Version : ONRWW wash media?

Pages : [1] 2

aalbs
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I purchased ONRWW on the 12/12 sale and would like to give it a spin this weekend. So the question is grout sponge or mf towels as the wash media? Is one safer than the other? I've read that the sponge rinses cleaner but with the Garry Dean method using mf towels that wouldn't really matter. Is it just personal taste or is one method superior and why?

jvs1991
12-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I purchased ONRWW on the 12/12 sale and would like to give it a spin this weekend. So the question is grout sponge or mf towels as the wash media? Is one safer than the other? I've read that the sponge rinses cleaner but with the Garry Dean method using mf towels that wouldn't really matter. Is it just personal taste or is one method superior and why?

The first two rinseless washes I ever did I used two buckets and mitts. Was fine but didn't feel convenient. I've been doing Gary dean method since and it's convenient, easy to do and saves you water time and solution. Id suggest using the garydean method and maybe 10 or so quality microfibers. Works like a charm

jjj
12-29-2012, 07:22 PM
The first two rinseless washes I ever did I used two buckets and mitts. Was fine but didn't feel convenient. I've been doing Gary dean method since and it's convenient, easy to do and saves you water time and solution. Id suggest using the garydean method and maybe 10 or so quality microfibers. Works like a charm

:iagree: it is a great method to avoid marring and scratching.

jvs1991
12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
:iagree: it is a great method to avoid marring and scratching.

I haven't noticed any scratching or marring and I just washed yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks.

If the car is really dirty do a prensoak with the rinseless in a spray bottle or a waterless wash.

Klasse Act
12-29-2012, 08:27 PM
The Aqua sponge, period!
Amazon.com has them the cheapest, I paid $11.00 for 1 through Ebay and someone here found them there, so I'm posting it here:dblthumb2:

Now as far as worrying about scratching and whatnot, fear not, I've been ONR-ing my brand new Honda CR-Z (soft paint) since late winter of last year and have had NO issues with anything, infact, I've said for some time now that the rinseless wash is most amazing thing to come along in the detailing world since........car wax!

Bunky
12-30-2012, 07:24 AM
I use multiple mf mitts since I like to control the pressure against paint and easier to inspect the wash media. No worries about folding, etc. I will use a two bucket method and use a mitt on more than one panel but do use 4 to 5 minimum per wash. It just depends on how dirty it is.

ryanbabz71
12-30-2012, 09:22 AM
I use the scmitt (I think that's what it's call). Two buckets rinse off after each wipe down. Works great

Ryan

Ray@Autogeek
12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Nick wrote a full review/how-to on ONRWW here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/58355-up-close-personal-optimum-no-rinse-wash-wax.html

How To: Perform a Rinseless Car Wash - Tools Required

There is one thing you should know about rinseless car washes: everyone has their own technique. I'm an advocate of keeping it simple when I perform a rinseless car wash on my vehicle and these are the tools that make the job quick and easy:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/OPT%20No%20Rinse%20Wash%20&%20Wax/DSCN3975.JPG (http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html)

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html) - I won't hesitate to call this the perfect microfiber towel. From quick detail sprays to wax removal to rinseless car washes, the Gold Plush Jr. does it all. The towel features a medium nap on one side and a flat weave on the other. The medium nap is thick enough to trap dirt particles but not too thick to the point that it causes unnecessary drag (drag = scratches/marring) while performing a rinseless wash. Pair this microfiber towel with a quality microfiber detergent and it will last years.
Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-wheel-towel.html) - Nobody likes having a collection of dirty towels, so use this high-quality towel for all the dirty jobs. It's safe enough for paintwork but strong enough to withstand the abuse of cleaning and drying wheels, exhaust tips, door jambs, etc.
Grit Guard Dual Bucket Washing System (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-wash-system.html) - This is the Rolls-Royce of wash bucket system. Two 5 gallon buckets, Gamma Seal lids, Grit Guard Inserts, durable dollys - it has it all. Choose the "Wash and Rinse" stickers to help keep things simple as you wash your vehicle.

The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave By Cobra, 20 x 40 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html)

What's in a Name? An In-Depth Look at the Cobra Guzzler Drying Towels (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/44660-what-s-name-depth-look-cobra-guzzler-drying-towels.html)

aalbs
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
I have very few mf towels some that have been used for compound and polish removal and some for wax removal. Will these same towels work for a rinseless wash or should I have dedicated towels for washes?

jjj
12-30-2012, 12:05 PM
I have very few mf towels some that have been used for compound and polish removal and some for wax removal. Will these same towels work for a rinseless wash or should I have dedicated towels for washes?

I use dedicated towels now. But have mixed and matched cleaned wax removal towels in past with no issue.

Sent from my PC36100 using AG Online

conthedon
01-03-2013, 03:43 AM
I hose off the car with my portable hose as my first step. I pre soak with ONR in a small 32oz garden pump spray bottle only when needed on rare occasions like winter time caked on salt for example. Second I use a ace hardware tile & grout sponge (not all grout sponges are built the same, I tried out a lowes one before and it was small, too soft, didnt retain water well so I use that for wheels sometimes).... I do a two bucket method, cobra hd guzzler to dry, cobra xl plush to apply optimum instant detailer, a dark plush towel for wheels, never had an issue. The ace grout sponge is thick (7x5), porous and only about 2.00-2.75 each, easy to clean afterwards with some dawn soap or equivalent soap, and holds up wash after wash (ive done at least 100 washes still hasn't fallen apart). I only wash/detail my own car weekly, sometimes my dads, so personally I don't like Dean's method as youre going to use a pile of towels when you can do it with one grout sponge that releases dirt easily and washes easily afterwards.

The method I use, per car wash, I go through 3 main towels (similar looking to Nicks method)- cobra hd guzzler -blot to dry, cobra plush xl apply detailer (if you choose, I like the extra gloss/remove any final specs missed), dark navy blue plush towel for wheels, and then about 3 small towels for glass. I've been using ONR for years and I guess it comes to personal preference and what you feel secure with, I just find a grout sponge to be much easier to work with, control, and less of a hassle to wash the car. Also, easier to release dirt using grit guard, and to clean the wash media afterwards and then storing it in a zip lock bag. Hope that helps.

umi000
01-03-2013, 05:14 AM
I've gone through a variety of wash media while doing rinseless washes - regular sponge, Lake Country blue grout sponge, Cobra Bone, long-strand MF towels, and chenille MF "noodle" mitts. If I were doing it conventionally (i.e. with buckets, rinse media after every panel), I go with the noodle mitts - I like how they feel against the paint better than the other options.

Recently though, I've switched to using the multiple towels (about ten or so) similar to what other have done - I've found that I spend a lot of time rinsing out my mitt, so switching instead to a new towel saves me a lot of time. I also feel that it helps lessen the possibility of marring, which is always a plus. Next step I'm considering is buying a lot of wash mitts, and use the same method with these (switch mitts rather than clean them).

ihaveacamaro
01-03-2013, 06:07 AM
I like the Garry Dean Method... here's my take on it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7JoC8ANog]Rinseless Wash with Optimum No Rinse - Garry Dean Wash Method - YouTube[/video]

CrayBrown
01-03-2013, 07:46 AM
What is a good quality MF that can be used for the GDM that wont break the bank. Is their a limit to GSM that you guys go off of?

umi000
01-03-2013, 08:06 AM
What is a good quality MF that can be used for the GDM that wont break the bank. Is their a limit to GSM that you guys go off of?

I use 660 gsm blue Eurow shag weave towels. You can get a ten-pack for less than 30 dollars (just do a Google search for "660 gsm eurow shag"). I also recently got a ten-pack of 600 gsm towels (same as the Chinchilla) on sale at another site - I'll be using these for rinseless washes as well.