PDA

View Full Version : Best OTC wheel cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

bmwohio
12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I have an M3 that I take to the track and Autocross and I have brake dust caked on my wheels. I also got a gift card to advance auto parts from my father in law for Christmas.

As much as I would like to get Iron X or something equivalent I am asking the 'pros' what the best over the counter (OTC) wheels cleaner is that is as close to an Iron X type wheel cleaner?

TIA for any feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KillaCam
12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
I've heard good things about mother's wheel and tire cleaner, but haven't really tried anything other than apc.

SonOfOC
12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I've heard good things about mother's wheel and tire cleaner, but haven't really tried anything other than apc.

:iagree:Mother's Wheel Cleaner is available in many stores and works extremely well for a OTC product.

terrangama
12-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Eagle one A to Z has worked very well for me

Alvin
12-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I am Not a pro, but I do like clean wheels and tires. Mothers and Mequiars make excelant wheel cleaners for factory wheels. I have not used eagle one for years but I hear it is still good to clean with.

bikeride4fun
12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I am Not a pro, but I do like clean wheels and tires. Mothers and Mequiars make excelant wheel cleaners for factory wheels. I have not used eagle one for years but I hear it is still good to clean with.

Meguiars is pretty good for OTC.....:iagree:

umi000
12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Mothers All Wheel and Tire cleaner works very well.

FRC Z51
12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Eagle One has been my favorite OTC wheel/tire cleaner. I'd say it definitely works better than the Mothers (I've tried both several times and I keep going back to Eagle One).

Meticulous-Detail
12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Meg's all wheel and tire gets my vote. I love this stuff and it gets tires really clean. I buy 4 at a time when Walmart has it on sale.

swanicyouth
12-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Advance Auto? Get Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. They have it. If you pre-pay for it on their website before you pick it up, you will get 20% off

That is the only "OTC" wheel cleaner with "color change technology" I know of.

Radarryan
12-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I've only used Meguiar's for OTC but Consumer Reports consistently has Eagle One as the #1 wheel cleaner. I usually trust Consumer Reports as being about as unbiased as it gets (other than your fellow forum members) but take it for what it's worth. I think any way you look at it, you'll need quite a bit of agitation, in addition to the wheel cleaner, to rid your wheels of the caked on brake dust.

Johny B
12-29-2012, 06:46 PM
I have used Mothers All Wheel and Tire cleaner for several months. I have ordered Wolfgang Uber wheel cleaner after reading several reviews about this product which seems a very good one. Time will say.

AllenK
12-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Eagle One and Mother's All Wheel are very good. Eagle One definitely cleans better though! I've pretty much moved away from both of them in favor of All-Purpose Cleaners though.

Bunky
12-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Mothers All wheel and tire cleaner works quite well.

ihaveacamaro
12-30-2012, 07:01 AM
When you're done with your OTC and gift card, get optimum power clean. Safe on all wheels and cheaper than OTC stuff when diluted :)