PDA

View Full Version : A little letdown with BF midnight sun

Pages : [1] 2

Sommy
12-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Ive been waiting and waiting to try this wax out and on cyber Monday I picked it up at half off. I tried it out on my 6 month old palladium grey ( metal flake medium grey) Mercedes about two weeks ago.

Initially I probably put it on too thick as it was hell to get off. It was like rubbing vegetable oil on the car. It was very greasy and hard to get off. I put it on thinner and it came off better. I was happy with the results and a nice slick surface. The shine was nice but nothing that was much better than other waxes I have used.

NOW - my real disappointment came after my first wash 2 weeks later. I used BF conditioning shampoo and after drying the slickness seemed to be practically gone.

I remember reading somewhere (after I bought the wax) that BFMS was more for show than lasting protection. After using it I'm a little letdown as the shine didn't outperform others and the slickness was close to gone after one wash. So where is the benefit?

Have you all experienced this with BFMS? I really want to try Fuzion but I need a really good sale before I do after the BF disappointment. Is Fuzion that much better? Any other thoughts or tips? My paint surface is still fairly new so that's not the issue.

ihaveacamaro
12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Any wax's slickness will go away, but the protection will still be there. Use a detail spray, waterless or rinseless wash with carnauba to get slickness back.

I dont think getting another wax will change anything to be honest.

rider9195
12-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Ive been waiting and waiting to try this wax out and on cyber Monday I picked it up at half off. I tried it out on my 6 month old palladium grey ( metal flake medium grey) Mercedes about two weeks ago.

Initially I probably put it on too thick as it was hell to get off. It was like rubbing vegetable oil on the car. It was very greasy and hard to get off. I put it on thinner and it came off better. I was happy with the results and a nice slick surface. The shine was nice but nothing that was much better than other waxes I have used.

NOW - my real disappointment came after my first wash 2 weeks later. I used BF conditioning shampoo and after drying the slickness seemed to be practically gone.

I remember reading somewhere (after I bought the wax) that BFMS was more for show than lasting protection. After using it I'm a little letdown as the shine didn't outperform others and the slickness was close to gone after one wash. So where is the benefit?

Have you all experienced this with BFMS? I really want to try Fuzion but I need a really good sale before I do after the BF disappointment. Is Fuzion that much better? Any other thoughts or tips? My paint surface is still fairly new so that's not the issue.

Good prep is the key to a nice shine. And thin is in! MS is more durable than most carnauba based waxes. You may have used too much shampoo in your wash bucket and it could have knocked down the slickness. But I have never found it to be that slick. I have no problems with it whatsoever.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Vegas Transplant
12-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Try a hybrid like 845 on that color.

SON1C
12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I think you're expecting too much from it

07RS4
12-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Any wax's slickness will go away, but the protection will still be there. Use a detail spray, waterless or rinseless wash with carnauba to get slickness back.

Bingo! You get your shine/bling from compounding and polishing, wax is a microscopic layer that just sits on the surface of the car. 99.99% of all these wax's are individual preference, but I'd be willing to be side by side, the same percentage of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most of the brands out there. Personal preference + great marketing + the itch we all have to collect/try these out leads to having 50 jars of wax that most will never use.......:xyxthumbs:

g26er
12-29-2012, 12:11 AM

Totally agree.

I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on my personal vehicle. Within a week and half to two weeks the slickness is totally gone, but to this day (just over four months later) the water is beading like crazy with the rain we got today... tight beads.

Johny B
12-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Anxious to try this product. Incoming order.:buffing:

Andr3wilson
12-29-2012, 01:52 AM
+1 for carnuba detail sprays. In the future when the wax is worn off, try Exo. I have it on my cars and I love it.
PS we have the same colour!:xyxthumbs:

Wheelzntoys
12-29-2012, 03:16 AM
What wax do your normally use? What prep?

Mc'lovin
12-29-2012, 04:06 AM

Try a hybrid like 845 on that color.

Bingo! You get your shine/bling from compounding and polishing, wax is a microscopic layer that just sits on the surface of the car. 99.99% of all these wax's are individual preference, but I'd be willing to be side by side, the same percentage of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most of the brands out there. Personal preference + great marketing + the itch we all have to collect/try these out leads to having 50 jars of wax that most will never use.......:xyxthumbs:

All great and important input.

I'd also try using a spray wax like Optimum Car Wax, CG V7, Pinnacle XMT 360, etc. after a wash - it will give the fading slickness a nice boost (plus protection of course).

CM8 6MT
12-29-2012, 06:15 AM

Agree

Bunky
12-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Blackfire Midnight Sun lasts a fairly long time for me in terms of sheeting and slickness.

If the slickness had dropped, I would have noticed it more during the washing process first.

I am wondering if you initial application was some factor since BFMS is one of the easiest waxes to apply and remove. You really do not need to wait for it to haze like some sealants. A machine really helps to get an even coat. One or two rubs on a foam pad will cover 1/2 a hood easily.

I would try to reapply it by properly applying and buffing off and give it a second chance. I would also be sure to clay and use a paint cleaner to prep the surface first.

Fuzion is a similar type product where you spread and remove quickly.

mwoolfso
12-29-2012, 06:53 AM

The key here in your initial post is that is "slickness" seems to be one of the primary characteristics you want out of an LSP. Carnauba-based waxes are more about "depth" and "protection" so as others already pointed out a spray wax would need to be applied to raise the slickness factor again; which would be needed on a regular basis. Within the BF brand, their QD's, Washes and sprays all have those Wet Diamond polymers.

Some questions right off the bat that would affect slickness and durability of any LSP. I know you mentioned the surface is "still fairly new". I don't know what that really means besides thinking you applied BFMS days/weeks after the surface was prepared; if it was prepared at all beyond being a new car. I don't want to presume that far out though so.......

1- How was the paint surface prepared prior to applying BFMS?
2- During your paint preparation, did you ever apply a sealant? If so, what sealant?
3- How long after you prepared the paint did you apply BFMS?

Sommy
12-29-2012, 09:12 AM
I will give the spray waxes a try, I think that will give me the fresh shine and slickness I had hoped would last a while longer.

The car is only 6 months old, never sat on the car lot ( I bought it before it was even delivered), it's garage kept at home and at work, all factors that led me to say the finish was still pretty new. I put BF paint sealant on it about 4 months ago and did like the results. I followed it with Meg's gold class 'Nuba and was happy, but still wondered if the midnight sun would take it to the next level. I'm applying it all by hand.

When I applied the MS I didn't do a lot of prep, thinking my paint should be in good shape. I examined it all closely but decided I would not clay at that time. When I tried to clay about 2 months ago I didn't get much on my clay.

I will continue to give the wax a try. My next attempt will be to put another coat of BF sealant on and finish with the MS. Hoping to achieve the fire-ice look. Now if I can just get some time and a little warm Texas sun to help me get the initial wash in.