PDA

View Full Version : Leather seats conditioning

Max62
12-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike. Hey. How do you explain to a car owner who has leather seats and they get a repair on thier seat and the repair guy tells the own not to condition the leather seats because it will cause them to crack. I do run into people that believe that. How to say the right words. Marco :doh:

ScottB
12-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Most automotive leather is coated (finished) and has a type of polyeurothane topping on it. Some suggest nothing more than a damp towel is needed. If you choose to condition it, you should use products designed for the leather type in your ride.

Rsurfer
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Most automotive leather is coated (finished) and has a type of polyeurothane topping on it. Some suggest nothing more than a damp towel is needed. If you choose to condition it, you should use products designed for the leather type in your ride.
I don't understand why people want to protect the protectant. Just keep it clean.

Bunky
12-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I don't understand why people want to protect the protectant. Just keep it clean.

I would assume the same reason people apply protectants (UV protection if anything) to other surfaces (paint, plastics).

I have not seen a leather product "rejuvenate" coated leather (make it actually softer and more pliable) yet but I can see how the added coating can alter the feel to make it seem softer to the touch just like a wax/sealant does to paint.

Dogfather
12-28-2012, 09:32 AM

I apply a sealant to my car 2x/yr but every time I wash it I use Aquawax as I dry. In other words, protecting the protectant. Maybe the same logic can be applied to one's leathercare.

swanicyouth
12-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Forget "conditioning". Get a protectant like the new CarPro stuff, G Technique L1, or UIG+. That and frequent cleaning is the trick to leather staying nice. Any "conditioner" or "dressing" just attracts dirt IMHO and that is the last thing you want.

Dogfather
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Forget "conditioning". Get a protectant like the new CarPro stuff, G Technique L1, or UIG+. That and frequent cleaning is the trick to leather staying nice. Any "conditioner" or "dressing" just attracts dirt IMHO and that is the last thing you want.
Thanks, just looked into UIG+ and their cleaning gel. Something else I have to get. Does this ever end? My wife is getting tired of me with the constant "I NEED this.. I NEED that..