PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted!!

hispeed
04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
My 2000 Thunder Gray Tundra got hammered by blowing sand at the beach last week.
Close inspection shows that it has thousands of micro scratches on it. These can be seen but are not deep enough to feel with a finger nail.
I have tried combinations of LC orange & yellow pads on my PC with megs 9,2,1,& Scratch-X. All with minimal improvement.
Any suggestions?

ehuth1
04-30-2007, 01:01 PM
XMT 360.... Try a orange pad first then move onto yellow if the orange isn't working for you. Cover area on 3 and polish on 5.5

Work the product til it starts to vanish then remove with Microfiber to check your progress.

TIP: Go slow

orngez
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
if you can get a hold of megs stuff see if they have #80/#83 great duo on the pc to correct pretty much anything...what area do you live in? i might be able to direct you to some shops...

ltoman
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh my gosh - I am so sorry!! Good luck with fixing it. I can empathize...don't worry - there are enough people here to guide you through.
I wonder if the XMT360 would do it.....perhaps???
Keep us posted!
Lauren

hispeed
04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
if you can get a hold of megs stuff see if they have #80/#83 great duo on the pc to correct pretty much anything...what area do you live in? i might be able to direct you to some shops...

Thanks to all for your replies.
I live in Gulf Breeze, FL. (Just across the bridge from Pensacola Beach).
I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw that sand start blowing. It's like ground up glass or quartz.

Truls
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM

:iagree:

hispeed
04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I had to laugh at my self when I looked at the photos I shot. Only you guy's would understand.
Damned orange peel!
Here are the little buggers I'm talking about

FloridaNative
04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I hate orange peel too! lol Autogeek sells Meguiar's 80 & 83 and with you being in Gulf Breeze, you'd get it in one day. ;)

http://autogeek.net/mg80.html (http://autogeek.net/mg80.html)

http://autogeek.net/megdualaccle.html (http://autogeek.net/megdualaccle.html)

supercharged
04-30-2007, 05:56 PM
My 2000 Thunder Gray Tundra got hammered by blowing sand at the beach last week.
Close inspection shows that it has thousands of micro scratches on it. These can be seen but are not deep enough to feel with a finger nail.
I have tried combinations of LC orange & yellow pads on my PC with megs 9,2,1,& Scratch-X. All with minimal improvement.
Any suggestions?

Upgrade your polishes to XMT polishes. Meguiar's polishes are for beginners (my opinion). I would also get some Edge 2000 pads.

Nica
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Good picture, shows exactly what your talking about nice. Sorry to hear about booboo but I wonder if wet sanding is an option. Mind you try polishing first but if you don't get the results your looking for wet sanding might be the way you may have to go....well just my suggestion.

Surfer
04-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I can imagine what strong winds and sand can do to a car. I've been out surfing at times with 50+ mph winds and its fine once in the water.....getting across the beach is the problem, damn does that sting, feels like tons of tiny bee stings and skin feels raw afterwards.

hispeed
04-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I spent 4 hours today just working on the drivers side door with the products I mentioned earlier.
Best results seemed to be from Meg's #1 & a wool pad on the PC.
The scratches are slowly coming out but there are alot of the pinprick sized nicks remaining.
I guess I'll try 80 & 83 next. I'm not too optimistic about the results though.
I'm beginning to think this may require a rotary.
Wet sanding is way down the list at this point
For those that have tried XMT360, do you think it is aggresssive enough to correct this?

hispeed
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I can imagine what strong winds and sand can do to a car. I've been out surfing at times with 50+ mph winds and its fine once in the water.....getting across the beach is the problem, damn does that sting, feels like tons of tiny bee stings and skin feels raw afterwards.

I was out of the truck just a few minutes while I shot the pictures. I thought I was going to lose a layer of skin.
When we got home, there were drifts of sand on the running boards and up under the wheel wells.
I'm still cleaning sand out of the engine compartment.