PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to Polish Textured Bare Aluminum? Or just preclean?

WRXINXS
12-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I am working on my intake manifold in the engine bay. It is textured uncoated aluminum. It is pretty clean but my plan was to hit it with Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean and seal it with Cquartz Dlux. My question is, do I actually need to polish it after the pre-clean but before the dlux? Would I really get anything out of it on textured aluminum? I am a bit leary of using abraisives on it as it is already in good shape. I was thinking of skipping the polishing step altogether or using s100 polishing soap which seems non-abrasive.

Drew

57BORNTORUN
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Is the intake on or off the motor?

WRXINXS
12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Is the intake on or off the motor?

On the motor, in good shape but some darker spots.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Pretty hard to do a lot with a textured intake manifold that's on the engine.

The Flitz Aluminum PreClean works really well to remove White Rust and some other types of dirt and sludge.

From this article,

Old School Aluminum Slotted Mag Wheels - Extreme Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/27892-old-school-aluminum-slotted-mag-wheels-extreme-makeover.html)

You can see the Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean soaking in and going to work.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/EOSlottedMags0071.jpg

Here's the back of the wheels now...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/EOSlottedMags0081.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM

The darker spots could be oil that's seeped out of the engine and burned onto the aluminum or just heat spots around exhaust ports or heat risers.

You might be able to clean this up a little using a wire brush if you can get the brush into this area, use with the Flitz PreClean.

I run a Air Gap on my 454 and it's uncoated, textured aluminum, I'll take a look at it and see if there are any bad looking areas. Been thinking about detailing the engine compartment again, it's due.

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/JimmysNewTop03.jpg

WRXINXS
12-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Mike, nice article. Those wheels cleaned up nice! I think I am going to go with the Flitz pre-clean but I really don't want to use abrasive on my manifold at this time so I will probably just clean it with the Flitz and seal it with Dlux. Do you know if the Flitz Aluminum Preclean uses just chemicals or chemicals and abrasives? I'm trying to avoid abrasives.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Mike, nice article. Those wheels cleaned up nice! I think I am going to go with the Flitz pre-clean but I really don't want to use abrasive on my manifold at this time so I will probably just clean it with the Flitz and seal it with Dlux. Do you know if the Flitz Aluminum Preclean uses just chemicals or chemicals and abrasives? I'm trying to avoid abrasives.

Chemical only.

You need to be able to rinse the intake off, so be careful around water sensitive components.

57BORNTORUN
12-27-2012, 02:46 PM
If the spots dont come out you may be able to use high-temp engine enamel and spray most of the intake.The bulk of the work will be masking off your engine compartment.

WRXINXS
12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
instead of actually rinsing off I was going to apply with a brush or damp terry towel to work the area and just use a really damp rag to wipe off the surfaces afterwards. Would that work? Also, If I dont want a mirror finish and just want clean looking aluminum I can skip the polishing step and just seal?

BTW I watched what the preclean did for your mag wheel right when you sprayed it on. Amazing. Nice to know it will not dull or fade the aluminum because I was worried about that.

Drew

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
instead of actually rinsing off I was going to apply with a brush or damp terry towel to work the area and just use a really damp rag to wipe off the surfaces afterwards. Would that work?

That would probably work just fine. Oley, my buddy and the President and CEO of Flitz said the chemical inside Aluminum PreClean is very safe, as in VERY safe. Just have lots of terry cloth hand towels on hand like we use out in the garage for cleaning our pads on the fly as terry cloth is very absorbent and the "nap" is stout and works well for agitating.

BTW I watched what the preclean did for your mag wheel right when you sprayed it on. Amazing. Nice to know it will not dull or fade the aluminum because I was worried about that.

Drew

I agree.

Some acids will turn uncoated aluminum gray and undoing the staining damage is hard and time consuming.

I've been polishing aluminum all my life and I was completely impressed with the Flitz Aluminum PreClean product.

:dblthumb2: