PDA

View Full Version : 3M Clear bra

Pages : [1] 2

jtheruler79
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I just bought a new white car and really want to protect the front bumper and hood from rock chips. What product would you recommend? I really don't want to pay 1000 to have this done. Is there anything else I can use?

rogman16
12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Would like to hear what the experts think as well... May need to post this in the "Ask the expert" forum...

Rogman

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I just bought a new white car and really want to protect the front bumper and hood from rock chips. What product would you recommend?

Most people opt for the clear bra option as this doesn't take away the overall beauty of the paint and thus the car.

I really don't want to pay 1000 to have this done.

How much it cost you will vary. Did you call around to some local, established and reputable clear bra installers and get some quotes?

Maybe check on your other options for brands besides 3M to see if you can get a lower costing clear bra. I've never owned a car with a clear bra and my current daily driver and all my future daily drivers won't ever need one.

Is there anything else I can use?

I think there are some spray-on coatings that offer protection that can also be removed but I'm not sure off the top of my head of a brand name.

I've seen guys cover the entire front clip of their car using 3M Blue Painter's Tape before taking their car on a long drive and then removing the tape once they reach their destination.

Might check to see if you can get Plasti-Dip in clear, that technology is always changing.

:)

FUNX650
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I just bought a new white car and really want to protect the front bumper and hood from rock chips. What product would you recommend? I really don't want to pay 1000 to have this done. Is there anything else I can use?
-I would recommend XPel for your PPF.

-You must decide if the initial cost of PPF (and its installment fee)
is more cost-effective/aesthetically-pleasing...for you...than respray(s),
and/or looking at rock chips.

-PPF improves/increases the resale value of vehicles

-For installers...Use this: XPEL dealer locator (http://locator.xpel.com/)

And don't forget to protect the ultra-expensive polycarbonate headlight lenses!!

XPEL Headlight Protection Kit, Xpel headlight film, x-pel headlight protection film (http://www.autogeek.net/xpel-headlight-protection.html)

NOTE: Welcome to AGO!!

Bob

Andr3wilson
12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
...Might check to see if you can get Plasti-Dip in clear, that technology is always changing.

You can in clear, but it gives a horrible orange peel effect and offers no actual stone protection according to this Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/3031522-plasti-dip-clear-as-a-clear-bra.html).

For me personally, I hate the clear bras. I find they are a pain because they are very scratch sensitive and left uncared for, quite ugly. I have also seen on quite a few occasions after the clear bra is removed, there is discolouration and it is very obvious as to where it was.

When I was taking delivery of my Merc, there was the clear bra option, I said no to it. Same with the Lexus. Now in Edmonton where I live, they love to out layers of sand and gravel down from October to March. Now the car is winter driven and has 5-6 chips on it. I am not too worried honestly, I have the factory touch up kit and in the spring I just fill them in and wetsand. I have also had great experience with the Lanka Chip Repair system. It is literally idiot proof and make perfect results.

So its up to you, I prefer no clear bra and just repairing it

Mike Phillips
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
For me personally, I hate the clear bras. I find they are a pain because they are very scratch sensitive and left uncared for, quite ugly.

My buddy Earl the Plumber has an AMG Mercedes-Benz with an clear bra and from improper washing and drying plus road time, it's very ugly.

He said the local MB dealership wanted $1300.00 to replace it.

I checked with my 3M Rep about a 3M recommend polishing process and he's going to get back to me after the holidays.

:dunno:

Andr3wilson
12-27-2012, 08:24 PM
My buddy Earl the Plumber has an AMG Mercedes-Benz with an clear bra and from improper washing and drying plus road time, it's very ugly.

He said the local MB dealership wanted $1300.00 to replace it.

I checked with my 3M Rep about a 3M recommend polishing process and he's going to get back to me after the holidays.

:dunno:

I have polished a good handful 3M clear bras before. I just used Menz PF2500 - white pad on DA, followed by SF4500 - Red pad. Seal with a wax or sealant, they are clear and nearly invisible.
Here is an S-Class I did last summer, its bra stops half way up the hood
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1653/medium/IMG_05292.JPG
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1653/medium/IMG_05282.JPG

They come out really nice, I treat it like soft paint. I read on a BMW Forum, a guy used IPA to soften, then a Megs Maroon pad to polish. I am not too sure if this would be a good idea, considering how fast IPA evaporates. Plus it sounds like you are changing the structural integrity of it too.

But I would love to know what 3M recommends! Please get back to me/us on this one

cardaddy
12-27-2012, 09:07 PM
.... I read on a BMW Forum, a guy used IPA to soften, then a Megs Maroon pad to polish. I am not too sure if this would be a good idea, considering how fast IPA evaporates. Plus it sounds like you are changing the structural integrity of it too.

But I would love to know what 3M recommends! Please get back to me/us on this one

I'd be VERY careful about IPA at any strength! This happened to me a few weeks ago when I spilled a capful! :(
Notice the hand print.
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/URCarDaddy/Clear%20Bra%20SNAFU/20121130_124518Cropped.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/URCarDaddy/Clear%20Bra%20SNAFU/20121130_124417.jpg

This film is Avery and 6 years old but was perfect till it melted. I'll be replacing it with SunTek.

I too would be interested in what 3M recommends!!!

Overall however I wouldn't think about doing without a clear bra. Having protection for the entire frontal area, bumper, headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors etc. is worth it's weight in gold.

Radarryan
12-28-2012, 03:40 AM
I would recommend the 3M Clear Bra as it is the best product currently on the market and is very effective for what it is designed to do. I recently took delivery of a brand new Porsche 911 that is black and I had a clear bra put on. Here's a tip though (and this is what I did), have the clear bra put on the entire front clip, or at the very least, the entire hood. That way you eliminate the line running across the center of the hood. The only lines doing the whole front clip are around the edges and if you get a skilled tech, they are practically invisible.

Yes they may add some "orange peel" in the right light but they are a heck of a lot better than rock chips. The 3M film comes with a 5 year warranty that covers any clear bra failure. Yes, it's expensive, especially if you do the whole clip or whole hood and full bumper so you have to weigh the cost/benefit.

I bit the bullet and did it, and sure it detracts from the flawless paint, but when this rocks hit and don't chip the paint I know it will be perfect. Hope that helps!

ElWichaco
12-28-2012, 06:57 AM
I always wanted to try this product. No more scratches in the paint

swanicyouth
12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
I have an Expel clear bra on my BMW. It's 2 years old and still looks pretty good. Some German cars (and other cars) have "harder" paint. This paint sometimes will chip easier over time in the front. It doesn't scratch as easy, but it does chip. My previous BMWs didn't have a clear bra and the front end got so beat up with chips.

Believe it or not, I feel clear bra material is LESS scratch sensitive than clear coat because it "gives" or flexes a little. Also, it does not chip.

Now, $1300.00 is a crazy price. I got the front end and 1/3 of the hood done for $600 using an XPel pre-cut kit by an awesome installer in NJ.

swanicyouth
12-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I took some pictures so you could see what a 2 year old well cared for clear bra looks like. There are some imperfections, but in my eyes they are minor. As, its much easier (and cheaper) to pay $600 to get the clear bra replaced every so many years, than to get the whole front end repainted.

Clear bra shines and reflects almost as well as paint, but it has a slight orange peel in reflections

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/28/7e7avuhe.jpg

Reflection in the clear bra

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/28/7aranuqy.jpg

An edge imperfection

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/28/pusytypy.jpg

spardavr4
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I got Xpel Ultimate put on about 3 months ago.

Probably the best film I have ever used.

Zero orange peel. Can be corrected because it has a clear coat, you can clean it with anything and it won't stain, or yellow. Best of all, it is self healing. That's right, scratches will disappear when placed under the sun, or hot water run through them.

It cost me $1000 to do the entire front end (Full bumper, full hood, headlights, partial fenders, and side view mirrors).

I really can't see it at all.

stibuki
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
After 15 years of using some type of film on all my cars I can highly recommend both XPel and 3M products. I had 8 cars of my own done so far and installed quite a few for others. I would not go without one on any new car. Just use a quality product and even more important a quality installer. The install makes all the difference. Also beware of knock off material, I've come across some fake 3M in the past. Additionally some fly by night places will use an indoor rated 3M product to cut costs! This stuff will yellow in 1 to 2 years at best.

pjp98z
12-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Let me preface this post by saying that I work for a urethane film manufacturer. I'll try to keep all bias out and stick to the facts.

Here's a few things everyone should know about paint protection film before purchasing a clear bra:

1. The film you choose matters! Do your research on films in advance, as they are NOT all the same, regardless of how similar they look initially. Different films have different surface textures (or lack thereof), as well as widely varying resistance to scratches, yellowing, haziness, and chemicals. Some films can be scrubbed with lacquer thinner, while others will haze up with the use of common paint care products (synthetic waxes often contain petroleum distillates). Some films heal their own scratches, while others require buffing. SOme films require specific maintenance to maintain there appearance, while others can virtually be lef alone.

2. Find the right installer! A good installer can make virtually any film look good, while the best film in the world can't make an inexperienced installer's work look top notch. A large portion of the cost is due to the labor involved. Just like when you go to a doctor for a 10 minute visit, you're not paying him/her for the 10 minutes of time as much as you are for their expertise and the training it took them to get there.

3. Check with the manufacturer for recommended care intstructions. As I mentioned before the clear coats on these films vary greatly. Check with your manufacturer to make sure that none of the paint products you use are harmful to the urethane (it is best to stick with all-natural waxes).

4. Ask for different coverage options to fit your budget. With the ability to customize coverage, installers have the ability to custom tailor your job to fit your budget better than ever before.

Clear bra is only a good investment if you use a quality film and have the job done right. It is not worth it to save a few bucks, if the installer is not experienced or using a top-notch product, as it will only turn out as an eyesore. Take the time to do the research, and it will be something that adds to the value and the aesthetics of your car.