PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle XMT Series

tango7
12-24-2012, 04:20 PM
First time post. I bought the 3 pack wihich consist of the # 3 and fine swirl remover and the finishing glaze. I have used the fine swirl remover and the glaze. I have a bottle of wolfgang paint sealant would that help or even be needed with this system.
thanks James

Ipsdrew
12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
If your using the swirl removers for defect correction and polishing then the glaze would be an "optional" step because you already corrected the fine swirls that the glaze is designed to hide. If your looking for long lasting protection I would skip it and use the sealant. If you decide to use the glaze to try and bump up the shine you can always top it with a more durable product like 845 to get added protection.

Andr3wilson
12-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Polishes, compounds and glazes all have grit to them. Basically they remover swirls by removing clear coat. Creating a high gloss shine.

Sealants and Waxes, or LSPs (last step product) are used to create a sacrificial barrier to protect to the clear coat; basically over a period of time, daily driving and washing wears them away. They are hydrophobic and create a high gloss finish.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a really good product and lasts a long time. Now after you have polished the car, you have to see it to protect the high gloss finish. Apply this to the car, let it cure, and you are good to go! Keep in mind that just because it is a different brand name, all products are interchangeable. For example use products from Riccardo, Menzerna, Meguiars, Chemical Guys, Carpro and Swissvax in my paint correction and detailing process.

One common mistake some people make is that LSPs can remove scratches and swirls, while this is a nice thought it is not possible and their job is solely to amp up the gloss and protect the paint.

Welcome to AG and Merry Christmas :)

mwoolfso
12-25-2012, 07:18 AM
First time post. I bought the 3 pack wihich consist of the # 3 and fine swirl remover and the finishing glaze. I have used the fine swirl remover and the glaze. I have a bottle of wolfgang paint sealant would that help or even be needed with this system.
thanks James

XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze is a cleaner/wax. WGPS would not have a place in any process where it is used.

XMT #3 and #1 are just polishes when you get right down to it and can be followed with WGPS, no problemo.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays.

tango7
12-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks, I guess I should have done a little more research. I thought the glaze was the last step.. Do I need to put wax after the glaze?

Andr3wilson
12-25-2012, 12:25 PM
This is your research! After you use a finishing glaze; so after your #1 swirl remover, you need to seal the paint.
This is were you use a wax or a paint sealant comes into use. Waxes and paint sealant do the same job, the only difference is waxes are based off of natural carnuba wax, and paint sealants are synthetic based.
Generally a paint sealant will last 3-4 months and a wax will last 2-3 months.
Waxes are known for creating deep shine and gloss, sealants are know for durability and protection.

So after all of the polishing and glazing is done, apply a the Wolfgang Sealant or a wax, or both!

Johny B
12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
This is your research! After you use a finishing glaze; so after your #1 swirl remover, you need to seal the paint.
This is were you use a wax or a paint sealant comes into use. Waxes and paint sealant do the same job, the only difference is waxes are based off of natural carnuba wax, and paint sealants are synthetic based.
Generally a paint sealant will last 3-4 months and a wax will last 2-3 months.
Waxes are known for creating deep shine and gloss, sealants are know for durability and protection.

So after all of the polishing and glazing is done, apply a the Wolfgang Sealant or a wax, or both!
:iagree:

mwoolfso
12-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks, I guess I should have done a little more research. I thought the glaze was the last step.. Do I need to put wax after the glaze?

I don't think you did a bad job here with this inventory. Your thought process was a little off since you essentially have what I call correction products and maintenance products; and in my mind you wouldn't combine certain products with others (just like you were thinking).

Think of it this way....

1) First major detail you use correction products ..... dedicated swirl removers / polishes, and then seal with WGDPS. In fact, you can do 2 layers of WGDPS and not need a wax and in lieu of the second layer of WGDPS you can go with OCW (Optimum Car Wax); no fuss - no muss - and tremendous durability.

2) Your next detail, odds are good you won't have much (if any) correction so you focus on a maintenance detail for most (if not all) of the panels. You wash, clay and then go straight to XMT CFG. From here you can top with a spray wax like OCW.

If you understand the concepts here, and I think you do, you can then tailor them a bit more to your liking.