PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum wheel help please

hoyt66
12-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I have aluminum wheels that I'm trying to polish. After washing and claying I used a Mothers Power ball with Wolfgang Swirl Remover for probably ....say 3-5 minutes a section. From what

I have read these stock wheels are clear coated. I still see plenty of scratches on the wheel. I'm thinking that the aluminum under the clear coat is not 100% scratch free. I didn't want to

"rub" on them to long as to not do any damage. Do I need a more aggressive set up or is this pretty much what I can expect from a stock wheel? Thank you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/34296/rim11.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/uploads/34296/rim21.jpg

Vegas Transplant
12-24-2012, 07:33 AM
I have aluminum wheels that I'm trying to polish. After washing and claying I used a Mothers Power ball with Wolfgang Swirl Remover for probably ....say 3-5 minutes a section. From what

I have read these stock wheels are clear coated. I still see plenty of scratches on the wheel. I'm thinking that the aluminum under the clear coat is not 100% scratch free. I didn't want to

"rub" on them to long as to not do any damage. Do I need a more aggressive set up or is this pretty much what I can expect from a stock wheel? Thank you.

Anodised clear maybe? As opposed to plasticised CC.
I would not get more aggressive if they are AC'ed.
I think oldmodman knows more about this than I do.

Happy holidays!

ScottB
12-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Most oem "high polished" wheels are clearcoated and up close seem to have a bit of a milky appearance. All you should do is what you have been doing. Use a paint cleanser or paint polish (not metal). And seal them. They may never look 100% like chrome or uncoated wheels, but need less care long term.

hoyt66
12-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Most oem "high polished" wheels are clearcoated and up close seem to have a bit of a milky appearance. All you should do is what you have been doing. Use a paint cleanser or paint polish (not metal). And seal them. They may never look 100% like chrome or uncoated wheels, but need less care long term.

Scott,

Kind of what I thought. They look pretty decent from a distance but we always strive for perfect. I think I'm thinking "chrome" where as polished coated aluminum wheels are much different in terms of finish.

Thanks