PDA

View Full Version : Opticoat questions... :|

HellaBroke
12-22-2012, 10:03 PM
So in prep of the opticoat I'm about to put on my new car... Can reload be sprayed over top? Read of some guys doing this. If so how long after opticoat is applied can I spray reload on?

Can these two be topped with ss2? Would this be a waste? I really like how ss2 brings the paint to look although I'm unsure of what it would do or look like over opticoat and reload.

Thanks for your time and patients TA I have read a few threads on this but still unsure I wait time.

SonOfOC
12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Give it at least 24 hours. Topping OC with anything can be considered counter productive.

Those that do Reload over OC is to get some slickness that OC by itself does not provide.

HellaBroke
12-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Could you elaborate on counter productive for me please.

primo spaghetti
12-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Give it at least 24 hours. Topping OC with anything can be considered counter productive.

Those that do Reload over OC is to get some slickness that OC by itself does not provide.

While im not accustomed to dragging my finger across the paint to "feel" the protection or slickness of the LSP, i was curious and did try it on some OC'd vehicles ive done to test the theory that they are not slick.

In my experience, the vehicles ive applied OC to are very slick.

If you still fell the urge to top the OC with something because of the "feel" of the OC after youve applied and allowed it to properly cure, then you could try adding Optimum instant detailer, Optimum Car wax or Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax.

as stated above, anything you top OC or OG with will not last long at all.

Rayaz
12-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Could you elaborate on counter productive for me please.
Counter productive or more work than it is worth. The secret to the look and longevity of any wax or sealant is paint preparation. Opti-coat stays on the paint until and unless it is polished off so whatever you put on top of it will not stick. After Opti-coat cures (30+ days) it won't even stick to itself.

I've tried Optimum spray wax and chemical guys V7. It looks great and is very slick but is gone in less than a week. I don't know where it goes. Maybe it blows off when I drive because I don't see any of it on the garage floor around the car?

I just did my 4th car with Opti-coat yesterday and aside from the weenie arms from running a polisher for 7 hours, I couldn't be happier with the results. I'm 1/4 of the way into the second syringe so the value is certainly there.

HellaBroke
12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
ok thanks guys!!!
so i definetly will be putting the prep time in prior to applying opticoat i was just curious if i threw some ss2 on top every now and then if it would visually give the paint that little extra here and there.

now i know.

im going to go back though and search but my process is going to look like this. please add or correct as needed:

pressure rinse
chemical guys citrus wash
rinse
ironX
rinse
cobra guzzler dab dry + filtered compressed air dry
clay pinnacle clay (need to order)
pinnacle advanced swirl remover css orange pad (only a couple spots need this)
pinnacle advanced finishing polish css white pad

mix 12% ipa in spray bottle and wipe off with plush mf
apply opticoat
wait 24 hours apply reload

Rayaz
12-23-2012, 01:53 PM
I read so much of this stuff maybe I'm confused, but I recall a warning not to wash with anything but water for 7 days after OC so I'd wait at least that long for the Reload.

I've never used reload and I'd be interested to see how it works with OC. My oldest application is about 13 months old on a dark gray Honda that sits out in the blazing Arizona sun 24/7. It still could be washed with plain water and dried with a leaf blower. OC is pretty impressive stuff.

PS. Your process should yield great results!

HellaBroke
12-23-2012, 02:17 PM
thanks for the info on waiting a week for washing thats a good plan anyhow ill do the polishing all day sat. let the car sit over night ipa the car opticoat let it sit all night and the next weekend wash and hit it with reload

HellaBroke
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
OK
so im getting nervous i want the absolute best finish i can get....
This is going to go on a 45 day old (from factory kia optima) snow white pearl...
Theres very little swirling but I would like the most absolute show car finish prior to applying opticoat.

Plan right now is to go with pinnacle advanced swirl remover, advanced finishing polish

how fine does pinnacles advanced finishing polish, polish out too?? should I go with Menzerna power finish? follow that up with a menzerna ultimate finish??

or am i being too paranoid?

Lim3
12-23-2012, 11:15 PM
OK
so im getting nervous i want the absolute best finish i can get....
This is going to go on a 45 day old (from factory kia optima) snow white pearl...
Theres very little swirling but I would like the most absolute show car finish prior to applying opticoat.

Plan right now is to go with pinnacle advanced swirl remover, advanced finishing polish

how fine does pinnacles advanced finishing polish, polish out too?? should I go with Menzerna power finish? follow that up with a menzerna ultimate finish??

or am i being too paranoid?

Try out your first set up. If its not to your liking step it up a notch.

primo spaghetti
12-24-2012, 10:22 AM
do you already have the pinacle and menz products?

if not, and youre looking to buy something, go with the optimum polishes.

the prep before OC application only involves a wipe with a damp MF, or a damp MF with ONR wash to prep for OC.

it will save a prep step, save using IPA or erase, and as a bonus, the Optimum polishes are excellent.

HellaBroke
12-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I have the pinnacle polishes already. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order some menz 4500 and a 6 pack of red and gold pads to jewel the surface before I oc.

I'm OCD so if I don't take it as far as I can before apply it ill go insane!

HellaBroke
12-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Alright pulled the trigger on menzerna 2500 3000 and 4500. As well as 9 hydro tech pads and a chemical guys backing plate, stripper sent and some other stuff. Merry christmas to me!
Will post pictures after its all said and done!