PDA

View Full Version : Washing my car in 33 F weather?

Pages : [1] 2

A2 Auto Spa
12-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Should I?

Wors
12-22-2012, 08:34 AM
If you have access to a garage a rinseless wash could be performed.

A2 Auto Spa
12-22-2012, 08:38 AM
If you have access to a garage a rinseless wash could be performed.

It is too dirty.

swanicyouth
12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
You can do it. I've done it. But you will need hot water from the hose. Water tends to freeze on panels. Anyone watching will think you are an idiot.

A2 Auto Spa
12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
I think they are idiots when they take their car to an automatic car wash instead of me. :dblthumb2:

RedXray
12-22-2012, 09:18 AM
If the waters not frozen in my hose, I'll do it! Carry out warm buckets for rinse and wash. I think of it like this... If those crazy Yankees can do that "Polar Bear Plunge" craziness, I can probably handle getting my hand wet :laughing:

A2 Auto Spa
12-22-2012, 09:26 AM
If the waters not frozen in my hose, I'll do it! Carry out warm buckets for rinse and wash. I think of it like this... If those crazy Yankees can do that "Polar Bear Plunge" craziness, I can probably handle getting my hand wet :laughing:

LOL " The polar bear plunge"

Klasse Act
12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, a sunny 33 degree is no sweat with a rinseless wash, I do it. The water needs to be as hot as you can stand it and make sure you've got 1 or 2 large mf towels for drying. As far as it being too dirty, well, unless its got chunks of dirty just make up some up some pre-wash w/ rinseless (4 oz to a gallon) and put in an empty spray bottle. Spray one panel at a time and then do your rinseless wash, no problem.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Kaban
12-24-2012, 10:42 PM
It can be done as long as the car is pretty warm (like stayed in the garage overnight) and there is no windchill outside...Using warm water in the bucket helps too.

However I would not do it if you are unsure, I've washed my car below 40 degree weather and sometimes it would freeze over before I can even go around it with my mitt and soap.... which is absolutely horrible to experience.

matryx
12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking of doing a rinseless wash myself. It's 1 degree C here which converted is 33 degrees F

I don't need to pre-rinse since I sprayed it down two days ago at a coin-op. Would it be safe for me to use a two bucket method filled with hot water to do my rinseless wash?

Andr3wilson
12-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Here's what I do http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/58250-how-i-detail-25c-13f.html

Meticulous-Detail
12-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Took my fusion to the car wash yesterday, to cold to wash it myself. Oh we'll it's a lease anyway.

BobbyG
12-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Should I?

If your car is dirty then yes...

A local car wash isn't a bad idea if you plan correctly....

5 Gallon bucket filled with hot water and your favorite car wash
Gloves
Wash mitt
Pocket full of quarters

At the car wash use only the rinse cycle. Spray off as much of the heavy stuff as possible then wash as usual and rinse. Dry the car there or drive it home and dry it there...

Give the finish a once over with a quality spray wax for added protection.....:props:

MarkD51
12-25-2012, 07:57 PM
One time many years ago, I washed my 1976 Silver Camaro LT, which had a custom 20 coat Silver Metallic Dupont Lucite Paint Job (with coarse silver metallic added, by a master painter in 1978), covered-sealed in mucho coats of clear laquer.

And as I'm washing it, wiping it down with a bucket of warm water, and a clean cotton towel, I'm actually witnessing the paint shatter-crack, like a red candy apple being slammed on the floor.

I learned one very hard lesson that day, and although it may not fully apply to today's paint finishes, sometimes, it is actually best to leave a car dirty, don't disturb it, especially if it's protected with a good sealant-wax. That you might do more harm than good with playing with a paintjob in adverse temps.

I Had the paint buffed-polished after, and one couldn't easily see any remaining damage, but I truly believe that paint finish was to never be the same again. Live and learn. Mark

Robert8194
12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Steam.