PDA

View Full Version : Harsh run-flat tires.

Pages : [1] 2

JerryL
12-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Hi: When I test drove an Audi TT in August, I was thinking it had decent ride qualities. It had regular tires & a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. I just took delivery, but my new car has run flat tires. Big time difference in ride. This is not the same car I test drove. Very harsh, super stiff sidewalls. I live in New York, land of potholes. They are Dunlop 18" SP Sport 245/40 01 AS. I looked them up; these are the least expensive run flats I've ever seen. The dealer called to ask how I liked the car and I told him I was not happy with the tires. He said since it's been only one week he would change them to regular tires. I never used the goop in a can, but I'm thinking if I picked up a nail, at least with the run flats I won't have to get out on a busy highway. Do I stay with the RFs, or take a chance with regular tires & hope I don't get stuck? It's leased, so I won't be buying a spare. Will the goop in a can be acceptable? I'm undecided, please offer some opinions.

FUNX650
12-22-2012, 06:58 AM
-Before you switch...I'd first find out for sure what the tires/wheels
set-up was on the test-drive vehicle.

-I like run-flats...
And although I can't run mine during the winter months...
There are 'all-season' run-flats...

BTW:
-Fix-a-Flat is not what I would ever want in the trunk of any of my vehicles. :eek:

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
12-22-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm not a fan of run flat tires either. They make your car ride like a mule wagon and wear-out very quick

If you spend most of your time city driving I would switch to a softer tire and take my chances

DaHen
12-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Will the goop in a can be acceptable? I'm undecided, please offer some opinions.

I'm from the old school. Go with a spare tyre. :xyxthumbs:

ScottB
12-22-2012, 07:18 AM
I changed the RF's on my past Vette and never had an issue. The replacements offered much better handling. On the new Vette, I only seem to burn thru rear tires and have replaced with OEM RF's. I guess its just easier currently, and the car isn't used much.

swanicyouth
12-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I've dealt with factory run flats with every BMW I've had now for a while, except my current M Roadster. BMW was an early adopter of the run flat tire. I've always gotten rid of them. Get yourself a BMW M Mobility Kit (or Audi equivalent)

It's the pump, goo, and everything you need to pump up a regular flat tire:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/a8unuga5.jpg

This comes built into the trunks if all M cars, as non of them have run flats, jacks, or spares.

Flash Gordon
12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I've dealt with factory run flats with every BMW I've had now for a while, except my current M Roadster. BMW was an early adopter of the run flat tire. I've always gotten rid of them. Get yourself a BMW M Mobility Kit (or Audi equivalent)

This comes built into the trunks if all M cars, as non of them have run flats, jacks, or spares.

Or...

You could have a ready made cardboard sign in your trunk that reads: "$50 for the first person that stops and changes my tire"

Im the MAN

OMRebel
12-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Don't ever use that goo in your tires. You're gonna piss off the mechanic when he has to clean it out. I just man-up and change the tire - it takes 15 minutes. Of course, I keep a mobile floor jack in my trunk.

Setec Astronomy
12-22-2012, 08:24 AM
You might want to check what the speed rating was on the tires you test drove vs. the ones you have now. That can make a big difference in ride harshness even in the same profile tire...are the run-flats the same profile as the ones you test-drove?

swanicyouth
12-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Don't ever use that goo in your tires. You're gonna piss off the mechanic when he has to clean it out. I just man-up and change the tire - it takes 15 minutes. Of course, I keep a mobile floor jack in my trunk.

The point of it is, cars with run flats don't come with a spare and often don't have space to store one. So, the alternative is to take up your trunk with some spare wheel and tire you bought, a jack, and lug wrench.

Most people with sports/sporty cars don't want the extra weight and don't want to waste the space.

EddieF
12-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Get rid of the run flats. They ride like crap and you'll be lucky to get 15,000-20,000 out them. Make sure you have a can of that new, green, fix a flat stuff and roadside assistance.

lokerola
12-22-2012, 09:10 AM
This is the main reason I didn't buy a 2011 BMW 3 series. It drove great, I loved the straight 6's smoothness, the manual was like butter, and it handled great. But - it only came with run flat tires and there was no room in the trunk to put a spare. Having suffered many flats over the years driving the DC area, that was a deal killer for me.

Maybe the mobility kit someone else mentioned would work if you switched to non run flats? I assume the Audi is also like the BMW and doesn't even have the trunk space any more for a donut tire.

vet
12-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I built run-flats for ATVs. They were a PITA to make. The sidewalls have a piece of tread in them, that's why they ride rough.

On a car, if you use the run flat feature, you probably won't be able to fix the tire, you'll buy a new tire. I don't know your circumstances, but I don't need run flats in mine.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-22-2012, 03:30 PM

This is exactly what I did. My 07 came with the RFT's on 18's and I replaced them with 19's and regular tires. I even changed my factory sport suspension for H&R Sports/Koni yellow's and even with my lowered suspension and thinner regular tires it rides far better than the OEM RFT's.

Although this was the original setup in 07 my wife's 11 has the RFT's with standard suspension. It rides very well but it is on 17's with the newest generation of RFT's. It all comes down to how you feel about them. My 07 rode really harsh until I upgraded and the 11 rides fine and I will not take them off.

Just wanted to give my opinion.

Klasse Act
12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
When you replace them OP, get the Continental DWS and call it a day! Speed rated, true all-season perf and I mean ALL SEASON! These tires are the best I've ever had and I'm on my 2nd set as are 2 of buddy's, my fiance has em' on her ride, my buddy's wife had em' on her Saab 9-5 wagon ( then sold it) and everyone loves em'. When you look at the tire you just know its good too and has a smooth sidewall, easy to apply tire dressing, LOL!

CHECK EM OUT!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online