PDA

View Full Version : DA Question

Dogfather
12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe it really doesn't matter, but I'll ask anyway.
When hand polishing hard to reach areas, and using a DA on the rest of the car, which is customarily done first? Just wondering if there was a preferred method.
Thanks

Mike Phillips
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe it really doesn't matter, but I'll ask anyway.
When hand polishing hard to reach areas, and using a DA on the rest of the car, which is customarily done first? Just wondering if there was a preferred method.
Thanks

I tend to machine polish first as you don't always know your limits or boundaries that you can actually reach with the buffing pad until you get to buffing on the car.

Then come back and work the inaccessible areas.

Another option is to know out the work by hand areas first and then do the machine work areas and try to shmoo over the hand areas as best as possible because the machine always outperforms the hand. And by this I mean machine polishing tends to always leave a more clear, nicer finish versus the paint that's rubbed on by hand. Of course, the application of your LSP will do a lot to even-out the appearance.

What are you working on?
What type of tool are you using?

:)

Dogfather
12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I tend to machine polish first as you don't always know your limits or boundaries that you can actually reach with the buffing pad until you get to buffing on the car.

Then come back and work the inaccessible areas.

Another option is to know out the work by hand areas first and then do the machine work areas and try to shmoo over the hand areas as best as possible because the machine always outperforms the hand. And by this I mean machine polishing tends to always leave a more cleahr, nicer finish versus the paint that's rubbed on by hand. Of course, the application of your LSP will do a lot to even-out the appearance.

What are you working on?
What type of tool are you using?

I want to try Poli-Seal on my Subaru wagon.
GG6 with 5.5" BP

Mike Phillips
12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
I want to try Poli-Seal on my Subaru wagon.
GG6 with 5.5" BP

If it's new or newer and in pretty good shape to start with I'd do the machine work later and then take the pad off your polisher since it's already wet with the cleaner/wax you're using and use it to knock out the areas you can't reach by machine.

I did that recently to both a Ferrari and a Corvette...

Did that around the back taillights and around the grill below the Stingray Script on the front fenders of the 1970 Stingray...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/1970_Corvette_Detailed_by_Mike_Phillips_001.jpg

Hand waxed a number of hard to reach areas on this Ferrari...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/BFerrari004.jpg

Wiping wax off the ribs in front of the fresh air intake...
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/BFerrari002.jpg

You can also use a normal wax applicator pad, foam or microfiber...

Dogfather
12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks Mike. Glad I asked.