PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) BMW - any hope?

Pages : [1] 2

rms64
12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
New (to me) BMW - any hope? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/58599-new-me-bmw-any-hope.html)

Hi folks - long time lurker, first time poster. Amateur detailer at best, and coincidentaly I'm in Orlando - scary close to Autogeek in Stuart :props:

Recently I bought a used BMW 335i convertible which is in decent shape but as I've washed, clayed, compounded, polished, etc (by hand - ugh) I've become familiar with every flaw.

So far nothing terrible with the following exception. There was obviously some sort of clear bra protection up front and there is a noticeable "dividing line" on the hood. Behind that line, there is what appears to be some sort of etching / streaks that are "buried" under the clear. The surface in the following pics is glassy smooth and I've tried compounding like crazy - again by hand - but no luck.

Interested in your collective wisdom regarding what this is and how to attack, if it's even attackable. Time for a DA?

Mike Phillips
12-19-2012, 04:04 PM
There was obviously some sort of clear bra protection up front and there is a noticeable "dividing line" on the hood. Behind that line, there is what appears to be some sort of etching / streaks that are "buried" under the clear.

Place a tape-line across the dividing line and then only work on one side of the tape-line. This will tell you if you can "affect" the defects or not, it's a way of troubleshooting.

If the defect is topical, that is on the surface, it's possible you can remove it.

If the defect is sub-surface, then you cannot remove it and this might be a sign the car has been repainted?

Time for a DA?

Always....

Join us for tomorrow night's show car makeover to a 1987 Corvette and you can play with all kinds of tools and I would be happy to take a stab at working on your car with you.

Sign up: 1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-project-cars-clinics/58459-sign-up-1987-corvette-show-car-makeover.html)

:xyxthumbs:

rms64
12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Mike,

Thanks a zillion for the uber-speedy reply, and the invitation. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the trip tomorrow evening but may head that way Friday / Saturday to grab a quick order.

Thanks again!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the 335i from a fellow 335i owner and BMW nut in Las Vegas.

Your best bet is to take it down to AG and talk with Mike in person about it and get some hands on evalaution on the paint.

rms64
12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Your best bet is to take it down to AG and talk with Mike in person about it and get some hands on evalaution on the paint.

Smack, thanks - and I'd have to agree. To be so close to the center of the detailing universe is both super-cool and very dangerous for someone like me.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I think AG would become my primary home of residence if I was that close... Lol

rms64
12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Good news!

Mike, I took your advice and taped off about a six inch section of one area of the problem and hit it hard by hand with some Ultimate Compound. Yahtzee!! The problem is fixable!

Yes, I'm stupid excited about this. Looks like a trip to Stuart Friday to pick up a DA and a bunch of other stuff then get to work. Woo!!

cartman57
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Uh oh, now you're hooked..........in a good way!
Using a DA will be so much easier too.
Have fun keeping it shiney.
Nice Beemer

rms64
12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks and yes I'm hooked. Just haven't had anything to go nuts on since I sold my 02 Saleen S281. Horrible decision lol but let the obsession begin!

bmwohio
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Welcome, and nice looking E90. Some good advice in this thread, and 'hell yes' to getting a DA :xyxthumbs:

cartman57
12-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I think AG would become my primary home of residence if I was that close... Lol
I don't think your wife would appreciate it!
Too bad you couldn't get a transfer to Patrick AFB.

Mike Phillips
12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Good news!

Mike, I took your advice and taped off about a six inch section of one area of the problem and hit it hard by hand with some Ultimate Compound. Yahtzee!! The problem is fixable!

Yeah buddy...

Once you do a little testing and a little troubleshooting you can at least come to a conclusion as to whether the problem is fixable and then go from there.

Yes, I'm stupid excited about this. Looks like a trip to Stuart Friday to pick up a DA and a bunch of other stuff then get to work. Woo!!

When you get here let me know I'll do my best to show you a few things in the studio. So park your car in front of the studio door when you arrive...

The door to the right of the garage door is the entrance to our TV Studio, my
red Jimmy is usually parked right in front of the entrance door.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/OpenStudio011.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

rms64
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Mike, thanks so much - that would be great. I may have to make the trip Saturday - not quite sure yet. Maybe I'll just shoot you a PM.

Regardless, thanks so much for your help and responsiveness. Awesome.:dblthumb2:

Rob

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Welcome, and nice looking E90. Some good advice in this thread, and 'hell yes' to getting a DA :xyxthumbs:

Thats an e93 boss. After the e46 the Chassis codes changed to identify a specific model. e90 sedan, e91 touring, e92 coupe, e93 convertible

I don't think your wife would appreciate it!
Too bad you couldn't get a transfer to Patrick AFB.

Lol. Well I did get a notice of a transfer back to Germany next August....

bmwohio
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Thats an e93 boss. After the e46 the Chassis codes changed to identify a specific model. e90 sedan, e91 touring, e92 coupe, e93 convertible

Lol. Well I did get a notice of a transfer back to Germany next August....

I know that, that's what you get for posting from your phone
:doh: