PDA

View Full Version : bird crap on Lexus

TundraPower
12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm working on a very dark grey (almost black) Lexus LS600. It's in good shape other than minor scratches, swirls, and contamination. However, the owner left bird crap on the top of it and it has etched into the surface. I've tried everything except a rotary with a rude pad and leveling compound. It's a lot better than it was but I would like it gone. I have to be very careful with this somewhat rare and very high priced car. Ideas?

Mike Phillips
12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Is it the topical stain type or the wrinkled type etching? I have an article on this...

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html)

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings

Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching

There are two common types of damage associated with bird dropping etchings;

Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
Type I Topical Stain Etchings are usually only topical, that is shallow enough that they can be completely removed or at least greatly improved to the point where they are difficult to see.

This type of etching can be removed using a clear coat safe compound or polish by hand or machine. Hand removal is almost always more efficient as you can exert more pressure to a small area and thus keep your work area isolated to just the affected area. By machine you can use a Spot Repair System, again to keep the work area isolated to just the affected area.

Photo courtesy of MeguiarsOnline.com
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/797/M105RemoveBirdDropping002c.jpg

Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching
Type II Wrinkled Etchings are usually too deep to fix safely. The problem is the paint fractures, (splits apart in tiny lines,), or wrinkles as the paint swells and bunches together. In both instances, the resulting defect is throughout the clear layer of paint and not topical. Thus trying to remove it will require removing so much clear paint that you will likely expose the basecoat, or colored layer of paint which has a dull appearance. For this reason it's not safe to try to remove a Type II Bird Dropping Wrinkled or Fractured Etching.

Photo courtesy of AutogeekOnline.com
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/719/BirdDroppingEtchingWrinkles.jpg

:)

y8s
12-19-2012, 12:18 PM
So what do you do about Type 2 short of repainting?

We have a 1998 civic that is an outdoor vehicle and the hood is primarily etching and a little smooth surface. :)

Mike Phillips
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
So what do you do about Type 2 short of repainting?

Not much you can do but improve it a little... the problem all comes back to thin paint from your favorite car manufacturer.

Thin paint = limited options

It's all about the paint...

:dunno:

TundraPower
12-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Definitely Type I.

It's only about the size of a quarter.

I think I might try this:

- 3" yellow pad (3M)
- Dewault Rotary.
- Menzerna Power Finish.
- If no results, try Merzerna Power Gloss.
- If still no results, step away and be happy with 70% solution.

How does that sound?

Y2KSVT
12-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Why not let the owner of the vehicle have some say in the question? Educate them on the pros (removal of etching) and cons (reduced or possibly removed clear coat) and let them make that decision. They may say they're fine living with it and then you have zero risk. If they want it removed, have a waiver ready outlining the risks.

Can you provide any pictures of the damage?

Mike Phillips
12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
How does that sound?

If it's Type I then it sounds good.

By the way, I removed the Type I topical stain in the first picture by hand using Ultimate Compound when it first came out.

Sometimes it's better to work by hand for isolated defects as you can exert a lot of force with just a few fingers. Then make a few cover passes by machine to remove any marring from rubbing hard by hand.

:xyxthumbs:

TundraPower
01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
If it's Type I then it sounds good.

By the way, I removed the Type I topical stain in the first picture by hand using Ultimate Compound when it first came out.

Sometimes it's better to work by hand for isolated defects as you can exert a lot of force with just a few fingers. Then make a few cover passes by machine to remove any marring from rubbing hard by hand.

:xyxthumbs:

Hey Mike I forgot to answer this. I asked the owner what he wanted to do. He said "I'd really like it removed, so do your best, I trust your judgement, you've always done great work, I'm sure it will be fine." Being a good friend, a great lawyer, and one of my best clients, I decided to give it my best shot. Hand rubbing did not work at all. I broke out the Dewalt rotary with a 3" 3M yellow pad, about 1200rpm, and Poorboy's SSR3 (rocks in a bottle) ever so gently. It worked. Bird crap stain gone. Followed up with lighter pads and polish.

TH3M B0N3Z
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm working on a very dark grey (almost black) Lexus LS600. It's in good shape other than minor scratches, swirls, and contamination. However, the owner left bird crap on the top of it and it has etched into the surface. I've tried everything except a rotary with a rude pad and leveling compound. It's a lot better than it was but I would like it gone. I have to be very careful with this somewhat rare and very high priced car. Ideas?

Larry from AMMONYC wet sanded a bird poo stain with 2500 grit sandpaper and then removed the sanding marks with a microfiber cutting pad slapped on a PC 7424XP. Came out looking great.

Check it out... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgHd1twCHYM]How to Wet Sand a Water Mark in Black Paint - YouTube[/video]