PDA

View Full Version : Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 vs. Black Paint

Nick McKees37
12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
New Sonax Profiline Polishes - In Stock!

This year at SEMA I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time with our friends from Sonax over at their (impressive) booth. Eric from Sonax Germany was demonstrating two new-for-the-U.S. market polishes - Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 and Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 - on a black test panel with a variety of different tools, namely the Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher and Flex XC3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher.

From left to right: Chris from Flex North America, Nick from Autogeek and Eric from Sonax Germany

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/photo_3_2.jpg

I was very impressed with the performance of Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 and Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 on both Flex machines during my brief stay at the Sonax booth. After taking them both for a test drive, Jason from Sonax was nice enough to send me home with a bottle of each one.

If you aren't familiar with these new Sonax polishes, this will get you up to date:

Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-profiline-fine-abrasive-paste.html)

Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 is the long awaited polishing compound from Sonax of Germany. This heavy-cut polishing compound has gone through extensive reformulations and tweaking before Sonax of Germany decided to make it available to the U.S. market. Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 utilizes advanced nano-abrasive technology that enables it to quickly and effortlessly level paint imperfections while providing a haze and swirl-free finish.

Sonax Profiline polishes are rated on a scale of 1-6. To rate the amount of cut a product has, 1 represents the least while 6 represents the most. To rate how well a product finishes, 1 represents the worst while 6 represents the best. Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste is rated at an impressive 5 for cut and 4 for finish. Going by Sonax’s scale, a traditional compound would rate at around a 4-5 for cut and a 1-2 for finish. Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4 finishes exceptionally well for the amount of cut it provides.

Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-profiline-nano-polish.html)

How many medium-cut polishes have you come across that finish out on the highest level of the gloss scale? As you ponder on that question for a minute, we’ll tell you about one that does – Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6. Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 is a medium-cut polish that finishes like an ultra-fine polish, even on the softest paint systems. Remove swirls, water spots and oxidation on all paint systems without the need to follow up with an ultra-fine polish.

Sonax Profiline polishes are rated on a scale of 1-6. To rate the amount of cut a product has, 1 represents the least while 6 represents the most. To rate how well a product finishes, 1 represents the worst while 6 represents the best. Sonax Profiline Nano Polish is rated at an impressive 3 for cut and an impeccable 6 for finish. Going by Sonax’s scale, a traditional medium-cut polish would rate at around a 2-3 for cut and a 4-5 for finish. Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 is proof that you don’t have to sacrifice cut in the name of a perfect finish.

Autogeek's Show Car Garage - Where the Magic Happens

After arriving back to Florida, I was eager to put these new polishes, specifically Profiline Nano Polish 3/6, to the test at my own proving grounds - the Autogeek Show Car Garage.

It didn't take long before I found a swirled-out black vehicle to put Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 to the test.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4022.JPG

That's what I like to call an "eye sore." Swirls (also referred to as "spider webbing") are millions of super fine scratches that hinder the appearance of your vehicle. Swirls cause light to bounce off and reflect in a million different directions. Shiny paint comes from smooth paint; you want light to evenly reflect off the surface. By machine-polishing the paint, you create a perfectly smooth finish.

Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6, 3rd Generation Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polish and a Lake Country Hydro-Tech Tangerine Polishing Pad

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4024.JPG

Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 provides an exceptionally long working time and doesn't exhibit any dusting. I set the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polisher on speed 5 and performed about 6 section passes while applying an ample amount of pressure to the head of the polisher. For the last two section passes, I bumped the speed down to 4 and applied less pressure to the tool.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4030.JPG

I tend to only use products that are easy to work with and Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 was very impressive in that regard; it buffed off without any effort. I used a Heavyweight Buff & Polish Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/buffing-and-polishing-towels.html) and although this towel is thicker than your average polish removal cloth, the pile is packed so tight that it provides plenty of "bite."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4031.JPG

After buffing off the polish and removing the tape line, I inspected my work. In the picture below you see about 85-90% defect removal. After performing the initial test spot I experimented by using less polish and was able to achieve 95% defect removal. I didn't experience any micro-marring and when I chemically stripped the panel, it looked just as good as it did when I initially removed the polish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4040.JPG

Remember when I said the Autogeek Show Car Garage is where the magic happens? :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Sonax%20Nano%20Polish/DSCN4064.JPG

If you're looking for another top-notch polish to add to your arsenal of detailing supplies, Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 is definitely worth a close look. It is extremely easy to use and it's flexible in its application because it can be applied with a rotary or dual action polisher.

Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6 (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-profiline-nano-polish.html)

addysdaddy
12-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Really looks awesome Nick. :props: The one panel I did with the Nano 3/6 came out great. And as you've already mentioned, terrific working time and no muss or fuss on the wipe down. My cars are actually in excellent shape already so I'm trying to get something in "lesser" condition to do a proper evaluation of the cutting abilities of the polish. But early analysis would be +1 for sure.

Nick McKees37
12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
But early analysis would be +1 for sure.

I concur! I'm looking forward to getting more hands-on experience with all the new Sonax products. :dblthumb2:

Nick McKees37
12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Another new Sonax Profiline product has been added...

Sonax Profiline Hard Wax 1000 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-profiline-hard-wax.html)

Im the MAN

addysdaddy
12-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Thats really great Nick and hopefully u'll give it try & review the next time ur detailing the "3". Frankly after averting last night's minor disaster, I'm starting to feel more and more like a "systems guy" as Mike would say. So a little 3/6 first followed up by some of this new LSP, I'm sure it's going to look fantastic. Anxious to see you work some magic.

agpatel
12-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Any options for a smaller bottle/tube of this compared to the 1L bottle?

addysdaddy
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Just revisited this awesome polish on Audi silver paint and let me say it finishes out glossier than anything I've used, even Menzerna SF 4000. Used a yellow hybrid pad on my Flex, 4 section passes w/speed set to 5. Sorry I didn't take pictures as I was working under the time gun, but fantastic shine and I doubt there is an easier polish to remove. My intended use was a one step to gloss up my Q5. Paint was already in excellent condition. With that in mind, let me say that Sonax 3/6 belongs on the top shelf and wouldn't hesitate giving it my highest recommendation.

Radarryan
09-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Just revisited this awesome polish on Audi silver paint and let me say it finishes out glossier than anything I've used, even Menzerna SF 4000. Used a yellow hybrid pad on my Flex, 4 section passes w/speed set to 5. Sorry I didn't take pictures as I was working under the time gun, but fantastic shine and I doubt there is an easier polish to remove. My intended use was a one step to gloss up my Q5. Paint was already in excellent condition. With that in mind, let me say that Sonax 3/6 belongs on the top shelf and wouldn't hesitate giving it my highest recommendation.

This is consistent with all other reviews of 3/6 that I have heard. I look forward to using it when I need more cut than an ultra-finish polish (currently Menzerna SF4500). I think that this may take the place of Meg's M205, but with SONAX Perfect Finish, I just keep getting more confused on what I want for my specific needs :confused:

addysdaddy
09-01-2013, 07:00 PM
We need Nick to weigh in on this one, but from what I recall he told me that the consistency of 4/6 is very different from 3/6 and that 4/6 tends to dust a bit. I haven't personally tried 4/6 but like you have been giving it a great deal of consideration as it sounds like the "perfect" polish. Over in Autopia Forum, Todd did a monster side by side with several polishes, 4/6 being one of them. But again, the 3/6 is simply over the top imo.

Radarryan
09-01-2013, 11:56 PM
We need Nick to weigh in on this one, but from what I recall he told me that the consistency of 4/6 is very different from 3/6 and that 4/6 tends to dust a bit. I haven't personally tried 4/6 but like you have been giving it a great deal of consideration as it sounds like the "perfect" polish. Over in Autopia Forum, Todd did a monster side by side with several polishes, 4/6 being one of them. But again, the 3/6 is simply over the top imo.

Yeah, I saw Todd's review and as usual it was superb and super informative. If I recall correctly, it was a 6 way test with super soft black paint - perfect for us black Porsche owners. I would like to see a side-by-side-by-side of all three SONAX polishes to see how "accurate" their number system is. For example, does Perfect Finish really finish as well as 3/6. They're both rated 6 finish. The black hood panel that had been sanded would be my ideal test. Compound all 3 panels and then work the 4/6 and 3/6 next to each other to see if Perfect Finish really delivers the perfect finish.

Nick McKees37
09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
This is consistent with all other reviews of 3/6 that I have heard. I look forward to using it when I need more cut than an ultra-finish polish (currently Menzerna SF4500). I think that this may take the place of Meg's M205, but with SONAX Perfect Finish, I just keep getting more confused on what I want for my specific needs :confused:

Perfect Finish (4/6) offers more cut with while still maxing out on the "gloss" scale.

4/6 is a tad thicker and is more likely to dust.

We always recommend using the least aggressive approach first, making 3/6 the better choice for some applications. :dblthumb2:

addysdaddy
09-02-2013, 09:51 PM
So on the generalized compound aggressive scale where AG rates all the polishes, where do these two products fall Nick?

addysdaddy
09-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I happened to speak with Nick and though not "exact" his best guess was to rate Sonax Nano Polish as having a level 3 cut. In the next chart update it will get tested but that's probably pretty close to the real number.