PDA

View Full Version : Did I get the wrong pads?

Pages : [1] 2

jayhkr
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone! Just got my box in from AG form the 12 Days of Christmas sale and I think I may have ordered the wrong pads for my 7426XP. I THOUGHT I needed the 6.5" pads, but I obviously needed the 5.5" pads. (been awhile since I ordered any). I talked with customer service today and they were super helpful however the gentleman said that I could use the 6.5" pads on my 5.5" backer plate and the pads would actually last longer than the 5.5" pads. I ordered all this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1664/0098.JPG (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53405)

And of all that I am keeping the PoorBoys Liquid Natty's Blue, Duragloss Rubber & Flat Black Dressing, and the 4 sheets of Megs sandpaper.

I thought thought I ordered the Optimus No Rinse Car wash, instead of the Optimus Car wash so that's gotta go back. I wanted to get a few people opinion on if I should return the 6.5" pads and get the 5.5" pads instead since I'm already sending back one product. I've received my RA# and I'm all good to go tomorrow when I take the box to the post office. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone!

jayhkr
12-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Guess I should had put the list of things in question:

6.5" CCS LC Pads in Orange, 3x White, 2x Red
6" Hybrid Power Finish Blue Wool Pad
Megs Ultra Polish Kit w/ 6.5" Pads (3 orange pads, 2 black pads)
Optimum Car Wash (may end up keeping this though)

Colinpd137
12-18-2012, 11:59 PM
On your 7424xp, 6.5" pads do work. But 5.5" pads work better the Porter cable lacks a little bit of power to run 6.5" smoothly.

I'm sure more will chime in on this issue, hope it works out for yah bud!
2c

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
If you are returning an item I would return all the pads and exchange them for the 5.5x7/8 Lake Country Hydrotech pads. These are phenomenal on the PC and the like. The small wafer size pads will allow more energy from the machine to the paint to allow for more efficient defect removal.

stibuki
12-19-2012, 12:29 AM
If you are returning an item I would return all the pads and exchange them for the 5.5x7/8 Lake Country Hydrotech pads. These are phenomenal on the PC and the like. The small wafer size pads will allow more energy from the machine to the paint to allow for more efficient defect removal.

I to would return all the 6.5" pads and get the Lake Country 5.5" Low Profile Hydro Techs for all the above stated reasons. They also finish out quite nice. Over time they have become my goto pads on my PC's. I have on occasion even used them on my Flex 3401 without issue. A plus if your just starting out with machine polishing is only 3 type of pads to buy and less confusion on pad choice. Only down side is they are a little less durable than some of the other LC pads but not by that much.

I would suggest 3 to 4 pads of each for a full size car or truck. You could do with less of the crimson but I like to have a spare or two on hand.

AutowerxDetailing
12-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I agree with all of the above comments. I will say, though, that for light polishing (not severe defect removal) 6.5" pads do work just fine on the PC. It just bogs down a little on anything other than speed 6 when using the larger pad sizes. 5.5" pads really hit the sweet spot for that machine.

stibuki
12-19-2012, 12:58 AM
I agree with all of the above comments. I will say, though, that for light polishing (not severe defect removal) 6.5" pads do work just fine on the PC. It just bogs down a little on anything other than speed 6 when using the larger pad sizes. 5.5" pads really hit the sweet spot for that machine.

Totally agree it can be done with 6.5" pads but it's a bit of a pain. Back when I got my first PC I started out with 6.5" (as there wasn't that many 5" choices) and made due with 6.5 and 3.5 pads for almost 2 years. More than a few times I put the PC down and went back to a rotary because like you stated it's a little hard to maintain rotation on less than a setting of 6 with that large a pad. On the plus side I am positive my technique improved out of necessity as a 6.5" pad only worked well with excellent technique. I don't even know why AG and most if not all the other sites still offer PC combos with 6.5" pads with so many better choices in the 5-5.5" range.

c5errr
12-19-2012, 01:11 AM
5.5 backing plates work on 5.5 pads and 6.5 pads

but as stated above the 5.5 pads much better

cardaddy
12-19-2012, 02:02 AM
+100 on returning them all. From what I've heard the PC just doesn't like the 6½'s. (where the GG6 will spin them better, but that didn't stop me from having 4, 5½ & 6½'s for mine)

jayhkr
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback! I am heading to the PO to return the above mentioned merchandise (minus the car wash I think). Soon as I get the credit I'll get the 5.5 LC pads. I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. Always nice to get a second opinion! You guys are great!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback! I am heading to the PO to return the above mentioned merchandise (minus the car wash I think). Soon as I get the credit I'll get the 5.5 LC pads. I appreciate everyone's help on this matter. Always nice to get a second opinion! You guys are great!!

It is my pleasure to offer my advice in the best way possible as it is with others.

You will really love the 5.5x7x8 LC Hydro tech pads. Get on the site and get the three pack and order 3 of those for a total of 9. That will get you off to a nice start.

spiralout462
12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Why hydrotech 5.5" instead of the 5.5 open cell pads?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Why hydrotech 5.5" instead of the 5.5 open cell pads?

The closed cell pads dont allow near as much liquid to pass through the pad keeping more on the face thus allowing the use of less product.

jayhkr
12-19-2012, 04:07 PM
It is my pleasure to offer my advice in the best way possible as it is with others.

You will really love the 5.5x7x8 LC Hydro tech pads. Get on the site and get the three pack and order 3 of those for a total of 9. That will get you off to a nice start.

They are on my list! Thanks again! I can't remember the pads I ordered 2 years ago when I first got the PC, but I do know whatever they were the red pads soaked up the polish light a sponge and it's nearly impossible to wash it out. Any suggestions on how many of each color to grab?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Click on this link and put in 3 for the quantity.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice! (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-3pack.html)