PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding a plan of attack.....

Pages : [1] 2

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Ok so I am going to be working on my buddies 2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab. The truck is black metallic and has swirls from improper wash an has buffer trails from body work that was done on the truck. I am mainly doing this to get some practice an become more familiar with my technique and how to know which products to use.

Products I have:
7424xp, 2 orange pads, 2 white pads, 1 black, 1 blue
Meguiars m105 and m205
Menzerna SF4000 and SF4500
Blacklight and V7
Fuzion
Pete's 53
Dodo Juice (samples) White Diamond, Light Fantastic, Purple Haze Pro, another one I can't think of.
Pinnacle Souveran

Here's what I plan on doing:

Wheels:
Sonax

Wash:
Dawn to strip anything off the paint.

Decontaminate:
IronX

Clay Bar:
CG Luber and Fine Clay

Compound:
Orange Pad with Meguiars m105

Polish :
White Pad with Meguiars m205
*Might add another step after m205 of PO85rd to try an increase gloss and depth

Sealant:
CG Blacklight

LSP:
Either Souveran or Fuzion
*Leaning toward Souveran because I haven't used it yet

Final Wipe Down:
CG V7

****Any tips will also be applied to my moms 2012 Malibu, it is the exact same color an swirls are also about the same.

Thanks! I will be posting pics as soon as I get a chance to work on the truck.

Plan on taking a saturday off an doing it over the course of two days.

mwoolfso
12-18-2012, 01:30 PM
>> *Might add another step after m205 of PO85rd to try an increase gloss and depth <<

If you are going to try this then omit the redundant M205 step; unless you plan on jeweling (in that cases you wouldn't use a polishing pad.

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM
>> *Might add another step after m205 of PO85rd to try an increase gloss and depth <<

If you are going to try this then omit the redundant M205 step; unless you plan on jeweling (in that cases you wouldn't use a polishing pad.

Ok so your saying to follow the m205 with PO85rd is a waste of time? Which would I get a better finish out of? The m205 or the PO85rd?

addysdaddy
12-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Let me suggest not using Dawn as it dries out the rubber bits. If you have either P21s TAW (can use a full strength) or one of the following APCs, Optimum Power Clean, BF or Pinnacle APCs dilute to paint safe ratios then spray & lightly agitate - rinse thoroughly. Perfect choice with Iron-X as a second decon step. :props:

I also would use a "regular strength" clay bar as the vehicle will probably need it and since your compounding/polishing - it will help increase the final gloss by getting the surface cleaner before you start polishing. The M105/M205 combo sounds good, just make sure you clean you pads "on the fly" early & often. I agree with the above that you probably won't need another step after the M205 if your using something like an LC flat white pad. Paint should be LSP ready however after the M205, I like to wipe down the entire vehicle with menzerna top inspection. Get's all the residual oils & "stuff" off the paint and makes everything pristine for the LSP.

Sorry but I have no experience with your sealant/wax combo but I'm sure it's all good. Remember to post up pix when you done.

jdaigs
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
:iagree: Following the m205 with PO85rd is not needed. Pete's 53 looks great over blacklight. Post pictures when finished .:props:

primo spaghetti
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
very interesting...i prolly would have suggested trying the menz first on the orange pad...i would think it may be less aggressive than the 105, but might be enough to get what you're after.

i guess thats why they say opinions are like arse holes!:doh:

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately I do not have any of those washes. I do have CG Citrus Wash and Clear

What can I use instead of Menzerna Final Inspection?

I will be posting a write up when I do it.

I will probably be waiting till after the Christmas holidays. I have another family staying at our house while their house is finished from Hurricane Isaac.

Can't wait to get a empty driveway again!!!!!!

primo spaghetti
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately I do not have any of those washes. I do have CG Citrus Wash and Clear

CG wash and clear is good too...it will do the same as wash n gloss, just minus the gloss...

What can I use instead of Menzerna Final Inspection?

IPA

:dblthumb2:

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 07:58 PM
:dblthumb2:

Thank ya!

TimmyG
12-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I prefer working with the Menzerna line of compounds/polishes on hard clear coats. Maybe its just me, but I find them more user friendly in those scenarios.

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I prefer working with the Menzerna line of compounds/polishes on hard clear coats. Maybe its just me, but I find them more user friendly in those scenarios.

Ok do you think the SF4000 would be enough? it has decent amount of swirls

primo spaghetti
12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Ok do you think the SF4000 would be enough? it has decent amount of swirls

thats a good question...always try a test spit first and see what you achieve before wasting time ont he whole projuect...

here is a autogeek menz charts to give you an idea...

Autogeek Menzerna Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-menzerna.htm)

do a google search and other charts are also out there...

alos if oyu have a a coouple pics of what youre working on, someone will definately have a beter guestimate what to suggest...especially if your open to trying a new product...but what you have on hand will likely do what you intend in my opinion.

chris.ganucheau
12-18-2012, 09:17 PM
thats a good question...always try a test spit first and see what you achieve before wasting time ont he whole projuect...

here is a autogeek menz charts to give you an idea...

Autogeek Menzerna Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-menzerna.htm)

do a google search and other charts are also out there...

alos if oyu have a a coouple pics of what youre working on, someone will definately have a beter guestimate what to suggest...especially if your open to trying a new product...but what you have on hand will likely do what you intend in my opinion.

Thanks, I will try to get a picture of the truck.

cardaddy
12-18-2012, 11:29 PM
<<<Subscribed>>>

Just a few thoughts.

First you will never get that truck finished with only 2 each of orange/white pads. If you are doing any real correction with 105 the pads will get full and your only choice is 'one the fly' cleaning which is good, but not enough to stretch that much sheet metal out without the two you are working with getting really wet and over saturated. Probably could make 4 each work if you are not in a hurry and have time to let a cleaned pad dry. (cleaned with cleaner and left to dry) From my experience, and reading here, Mike and others have said on vehicles with correction happening it's more like 6 to 8 on a truck that size. (can use 3~4 on the hood alone if compounding)

That said, once past the 105 step, 205 wont take as many pads but again, trying to do a truck that size with only 2 sounds like a 2 ~3 day affair (washing and letting them dry between use).

I only say this because my G coupe is the cleanest car I own and doesn't take much to make it look decent, and it took 2 pads to do Megs UP with it. Plus I had to come back the next day (after washing) and finish out with another dry pad.

Your test spot will tell you what you need to know though. Heck, might get lucky and do what you are looking for with just the 105 and an orange pad. Stranger things have happened.

Can't comment on the Menzerna line as I'm a Meg's guy. Although if some samples found there way here I've been DYING to try them on my wifes Denali. :idea:

Also a +1 on using 'normal' clay in your prep. If it were already compounded and polished then I'd say 'fine' would be as much as you would want to use. With the fact that you're going to do the whole shooting match then just go ahead with a little deeper claying process.

You mentioned you were thinking about something to add that extra depth. I'm gonna' step in it here and throw a vote out there for Megs 21 2.0. I've used M20 for years and love it. Now everyone tells me M21 is much better, (and as soon as my current bottle is empty I'm switching to M21). The finish and feel is super slick and deep and really doesn't need another LSP but I always top it just for snits-n-giggles.

Top that with either of your current LSP's and it'll pop like crazy.:dblthumb2:

Make sure to post photos too. :)

chris.ganucheau
12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
<<<Subscribed>>>

Just a few thoughts.

First you will never get that truck finished with only 2 each of orange/white pads. If you are doing any real correction with 105 the pads will get full and your only choice is 'one the fly' cleaning which is good, but not enough to stretch that much sheet metal out without the two you are working with getting really wet and over saturated. Probably could make 4 each work if you are not in a hurry and have time to let a cleaned pad dry. (cleaned with cleaner and left to dry) From my experience, and reading here, Mike and others have said on vehicles with correction happening it's more like 6 to 8 on a truck that size. (can use 3~4 on the hood alone if compounding)

That said, once past the 105 step, 205 wont take as many pads but again, trying to do a truck that size with only 2 sounds like a 2 ~3 day affair (washing and letting them dry between use).

I only say this because my G coupe is the cleanest car I own and doesn't take much to make it look decent, and it took 2 pads to do Megs UP with it. Plus I had to come back the next day (after washing) and finish out with another dry pad.

Your test spot will tell you what you need to know though. Heck, might get lucky and do what you are looking for with just the 105 and an orange pad. Stranger things have happened.

Can't comment on the Menzerna line as I'm a Meg's guy. Although if some samples found there way here I've been DYING to try them on my wifes Denali. :idea:

Also a +1 on using 'normal' clay in your prep. If it were already compounded and polished then I'd say 'fine' would be as much as you would want to use. With the fact that you're going to do the whole shooting match then just go ahead with a little deeper claying process.

You mentioned you were thinking about something to add that extra depth. I'm gonna' step in it here and throw a vote out there for Megs 21 2.0. I've used M20 for years and love it. Now everyone tells me M21 is much better, (and as soon as my current bottle is empty I'm switching to M21). The finish and feel is super slick and deep and really doesn't need another LSP but I always top it just for snits-n-giggles.

Top that with either of your current LSP's and it'll pop like crazy.:dblthumb2:

Make sure to post photos too. :)

I see I will be ordering more pads! haha thanks for the advice! I will look into the M21 also. I will posting pics of the truck as soon as im done typing this.

Its in worse shape than I thought.