PDA

View Full Version : Specializing in one field...

SuperGlide
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I've been motorcycle detailing since 1996 and have made a living doing this.

Do any of you specialize in one particular type of vehicle or service?

Mike Phillips
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I've always targeted the general category of special interest vehicles or S.I.V.s.

I tend to like classics more than modern cars for a number of reasons one of them being classics tend to have chrome and stainless steel trim instead of plastic trim making them a lot more fun to buff out. I also like the body lines and body panels better as they have enduring style.

The owners of special interest cars tend to appreciate their cars a lot and after educating them on the topics of both paint and how to work on paint, they tend to appreciate the work that'd performed.

A special interest car doesn't have to be old to qualify as SIV, a good rule of thumb is any car parked in a parking lot that makes you do a double-take, or even better, go off your normal path of travel to take a look at it qualifies as a special interest car.

I think a person is better in the long run to find a niche market and specialize and cater to it. One thing for sure, if you enjoy a specific niche in the market then you'll enjoy your work more...

:xyxthumbs:

SuperGlide
12-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks Mike, anyone else?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I guess we could all say that we specialize in paint correction because most of us come here to focus on paint rather than interior.

I enjoy working on BMW's....