PDA

View Full Version : please help clear up argument

jjj
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Do AIO products damage clearcoat? I am in a discussion with a bud who says he will never AIO his vheix. Never compound or polish. I explained to him the benefits of a polish and or an AIO and showed him pix of a car with XMT 360 with white pad and he just under the impresssion that AIO kill clear. He lumped it in with compounds. now have I been unde a false impression for the past years?:confused:

PiPUK
12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
All abrasive containing polishes will 'damage' the clearcoat inasmuch as they will remove some of it but the reality is that if you need to use such a product, the clearcoat is already slightly damaged so the polish is actually leaving a better finish than before you started.

Realistically any abrasive polish could do lasting damage if you attack with a rotary and don't know what you are doing but that is more about the user doing the damage than the product. Your friend is mistaken in his views.

snowking724
12-16-2012, 02:46 PM
these products "remove" clearcoat, not sure if that's what he means by damage. But with proper care the clear coat will last longer, even after compounding or using an AIO. Also, the amount of clear coat removed by an AIO is very minimal, generally.

Setec Astronomy
12-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Generally speaking, AIO's are pretty non-abrasive. I'm sure there are some crappy OTC products that could be pretty abrasive (especially leftovers from the pre-clearcoat days). But the AIO's that are sold here (with the exception of boat products or Collinite Sapphire) are frequently just chemical cleaners, sometimes with a very mild abrasive, and won't remove any more paint than a dedicated polish.

jjj
12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the response. I use 360 as one of my main go to. I use it with da and white pad, if more severe orange pad. If really bad swirls or paint correction needed Meg's uc. I think he may be coming over to our views but I doubt it will be very soon when he is true believer.

Rsurfer
12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Most AIO are chemical cleaners and have no abrasives. If you want to get technical, every time that your friend washes his car he is abrading (killing) his paint. Using an AIO or a polish with mild abrasives will not damage your clear coat. The average OEM paint is around 120-140 mic. Using an AIO will remove 1 mic. if that.

Johny B
12-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Most AIO are chemical cleaners and have no abrasives. If you want to get technical, every time that your friend washes his car he is abrading (killing) his paint. Using an AIO or a polish with mild abrasives will not damage your clear coat. The average OEM paint is around 120-140 mic. Using an AIO will remove 1 mic. if that.

Well said.

primo spaghetti
12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
tell him acid rain, dust, dirt, bird scat, UV rays, and tree sap will also kill clear...

so clean it and protect it from pre-mature failure...

jjj
12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I've been trying to tell him he could bring life back into his car but he's just staying away from polish and premium products. Thanks for the replies will be good ammo.

Rsurfer
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I've been trying to tell him he could bring life back into his car but he's just staying away from polish and premium products. Thanks for the replies will be good ammo.

Does he tell his dentist not to polish his teeth after cleaning because it will kill his enamel?

jjj
12-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Does he tell his dentist not to polish his teeth after cleaning because it will kill his enamel?

That is so true!