PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some general product advice...

skyline315
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey folks...I'm fairly new to the detailing scene, and was hoping you guys could give me some opinions:

I have an '06 Black Civic LX. My first detail was done entirely by hand:

Shampoo: Meguiar's Gold Class
Clay Bar: Clay Magic
Polish: ScratchX (I admittedly didn't use this correctly, so swirls remained)
Wax: Meguiar's Gold Class
Wheels/Tires: Meguiar's Hot Tire Spray
Glass: Stoner's
QD: Yep, that's right...Meguiar's again

Here are some pics: First detail. (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4989)

I was pleased with the results, but am looking for more. I'd really like to achieve that deep wet look I've seen on so many black cars. The problem is that my money is somewhat limited, so I can't go out and buy the entire Zaino list of products, etc.

I do plan to by a PC 7336 from Lowe's, so that's my next step. But what then?

I was looking at the Zaino combo of Z-PC and Z-5 Pro(when it's released), but the fact that you need ZFX kind of turns me off and makes things even more pricey. Plus, knowing me, I'm sure I'd end up wanting to buy Z-2 Pro, Z-6, and Z-8, and things just go downhill from there, haha.

Instead of Z-PC, I had looked into 3M #39009 swirl remover/glaze for dark cars. Any thoughts on this product?

Anyway, I was hoping some folks could give me some alternative products that might suit me a little better than what I used last time and also be a little easier on the wallet.

Thanks!

JeffW
05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Anyway, I was hoping some folks could give me some alternative products that might suit me a little better than what I used last time and also be a little easier on the wallet.

Thanks!

Excellent looking car, and good job on your first detail! I have a dark blue 06 Civic LX and simply love everything about it.

Honestly, you don't need to break the bank to get the look you're after. I use WG on my cars (after going around the block with most of the other popular products) and get an exceptionally sweet, deep and glossy finish. I've used the WG pre-wax enhancer, swirl remover, finishing glaze and QD products and would recommend them as well. I get ton's of comments about my car all the time and it "only" has WG on it. I'm sure that if I were to put NB, Souv or Max Wax on top it would be a freaking unbelievable (I don't because with my long daily commute I need the extra durability that sealants have over waxes).

Have fun!

ScottB
05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
ScratchX is best left to minor hand polishing, and nowhere near what is needed on most finishes. If considering use via hand consider Vanilla Moose Glaze by Clearkote. If using a machine XMT, and Poorboys SSR's will help tremendously.

skyline315
05-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Poorboys intrigues me a little...do you like their other products beyond the swirl removers, or would you recommend something else for the LSP?

Also, a Zaino question...I've had a few people tell me that Z-5, etc. can be used without the ZFX additive, and others tell me that this would be a terrible idea. Any thoughts?

ScottB
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Poorboys intrigues me a little...do you like their other products beyond the swirl removers, or would you recommend something else for the LSP?

Also, a Zaino question...I've had a few people tell me that Z-5, etc. can be used without the ZFX additive, and others tell me that this would be a terrible idea. Any thoughts?

1. Very few products within the Poorboys line would be considered medicore. Great products, nice price, and nice results.

2. Z --Z5 can supposedly be used without the curing catalyst as needed, but it likely reduces durability. I personally feel the ZFX is what gives Z the leading edge in durability, I can easily show you a product that looks just as good and slicker finish (UPP). What I will tell you is that Z5 supposedly has fillers to hide swirls, well I have never really seen them. Used in on several cars and never saw any real tremendous difference over Z2, just less glossy look.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Vette_008.jpg
Four Starr UPP and Souveran Paste

skyline315
05-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow...the UPP and Souveran look great, but definitely out of my price range for now ;)

skyline315
05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Ok, folks...I've decided to go the Poorboy's route...a couple of questions:

I know the difference between the EX and EX-P is the presence of Carnuba. Do you think that there is a real visual difference between the two products, or is it pretty much the same result? I'm willing to sacrifice a little durability for appearance, but this car is my daily driver. If the difference is minimal, I'll take the extra protection. I also plan to layer this with Natty's if that makes a difference.

Also, here was my intended lineup:

Wash/clay
SSR 2.5
EX or EX-P
Natty's Blue

Do you think there's a need for a pure polish in between the SSR and sealant?

Surfer
05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
On one of my trucks I just finished using EX-P and Natty's Blue, and this is probably the 1st time I've seen a white truck actually have a deep/watery look to it. NXT was nowhere near what the truck looks like now. I haven't used the PB's polishes but from comments on here and other detailing boards the feedback is excellent. I used Optimum Compound and Polish and love those two products now. And for a daily driver, Natty's Blue is actually pretty damn durable for a wax from what I've heard from others. I'm very impressed with it though, especially for the money. It rained here the other day, and after a 10 minute drive to work, my truck was completley dry as if I had just cleaned it. Even the light dirt/dust didn't stick and came off with the water.

This is basically what I did (besides washing/claying etc):
Polished/Compounded
AIO
EX-P x 2 (buffed off with OCW)
Then two light coats of OWC
Natty's Blue x 2 buffed off with PB's QW+

Might want to check out the Wolfgang sealant as well, I want to try it now. I think SSR2.5 might leave hazing, think you need to finish up with SSR1 after, but I'm sure the other guys will chime in on that.

skyline315
05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Might want to check out the Wolfgang sealant as well, I want to try it now. I think SSR2.5 might leave hazing, think you need to finish up with SSR1 after, but I'm sure the other guys will chime in on that.
My impression was that it would not leave hazing if done by machine, but it would if done by hand. I could be very wrong about that, though, and would love to hear some opinions.

Neothin
05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
SSR2.5 if worked long enough will for the most part be haze free. Personally though, i would follow up with ssr1 though. honda paint is rather soft (except for their white!) and you have a black car, both of these attributes kinda lead me to believe that 2.5 won't finish all that well.

skyline315
05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
SSR2.5 if worked long enough will for the most part be haze free. Personally though, i would follow up with ssr1 though. honda paint is rather soft (except for their white!) and you have a black car, both of these attributes kinda lead me to believe that 2.5 won't finish all that well.
Awesome, thanks.

Now here's the next question (you tired of me yet ;)):

SSR1 or Pro Polish? Will both achieve the same thing, or is SSR1 going to be better suited to remove the hazing?