PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to use Optimum polishes with Opti-Guard

WRXINXS
12-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Just wondering. I know one time I saw an Optimum rep say that M205 had alot of oils that were hard to remove from the paint after polishing/left stuff behind, and might interfere with bonding. If I did use other brand's polishes like M205 and did IPA wipedown and wash the car before coating would I get proper bonding?

Drew

Porsche Pilot
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I use many different manufacturers polishes and compounds prior to applying Opti Coat Pro. The trick is to remove the oils thoroughly. There are several different methods and brands available to do this.

Even when I do use OPT polishes, I perform a thorough surface cleansing. Use your polish of choice and perform a proper surface prep and you will be just fine.

Sent via telepathy.

WRXINXS
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks Ed!

DaveT435
12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Optimum does say if you use their polishes you can just wipe the surface with a damp towel before applying opticoat.

AeroCleanse
12-15-2012, 10:16 PM
All you need to do is make sure the surface is free of contaminates. If the polish is water based then a damp towel will remove it.

Chris Thomas
12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
You can use any polish you'd like. But, you need to be certain that you have removed any fillers, oils, silicones, or wax or the coating will not be able to bond to the paint. This is not a issue of the polish causing a problem, but of the installer not prepping the surface properly. The time saving feature of using our polishes and only needing to follow with a water dampened MF is priceless. But, I understand not wanting to waste what you have, or need to buy a new line. So, just be sure to Dawn wash, prepsol, mineral spirits, IPA or something to make sure the surface is bare.