PDA

View Full Version : product selection for a friend

Bill1234
12-15-2012, 10:30 AM
One of my friends got a new car and I was thinking about picking up about 50 dollars worth of stuff for him at autozone (OTC). Can anybody steer me away from the bad products

mothers or meguiars car wash
good otc wax like meguiars or mothers
armor all extreme tire shine(yes it is amor all but its very good)
a good carpet cleaner
wash bucket (probably the standard wash bucket that fits grit guards
some microfiber towels
a drying towel
applicator pads
wheel brushes

Finemess
12-15-2012, 10:45 AM
That is very nice of you. I think if you stay with Mothers or Megs, you cant go wrong. Good luck.

Setec Astronomy
12-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Why don't you do him a favor and get him some ONRWW and Opti-Seal...friends don't let friends use OTC. Actually if the car is new and he washes it often enough, he probably doesn't even need an LSP (to paraphrase Chris@Optimum from another thread).

cartman57
12-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Get a $50 gift card from AG, have him join the forum?

dougsrt
12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
:whs:

Setec Astronomy
12-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Actually if the car is new and he washes it often enough with ONRWW, he probably doesn't even need an LSP (to paraphrase Chris@Optimum from another thread).

Before I get myself in trouble, lol

timaishu
12-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Before I get myself in trouble, lol

Ahaha, I was just about to comment on your statement. I was like, is he serious? lol

rcomito
12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Get a $50 gift card from AG, have him join the forum?

Agreed. Great idea. We're always looking for new talent.

Rick

dooyaunastan
12-15-2012, 02:23 PM
One of my friends got a new car and I was thinking about picking up about 50 dollars worth of stuff for him at autozone (OTC). Can anybody steer me away from the bad products

a good carpet cleaner
some microfiber towels
a drying towel
applicator pads
wheel brushes

Can't go wrong with Meg's Gold Class shampoo, you can do better, but not that much better OTC.
I'm trying to finish up my bottle of NXT 2.0, personally I love the stuff.
I use AA extreme for the tires as well.
Look into Tuff-Stuff, they sell it at wal-mart and on amazon, stuff works great. Not the best for deep cleaning, but if you want to make something look presentable quickly and cheaply, it's hard to beat.
You can pick up 5 gallon buckets from Ace Hardware for about $4-5 a pop.
I'd spare your expenses on the microfiber, and just direct him to a site like microfibertech or towelpros and have him order 20 or so.
Same goes with the drying towel.

with applicators and brushes you'd be just under $60.

I think you should suggest him to AGO, but I don't think it's a bad idea to start him off with the cheap OTC stuff until he develops proper washing technique.

Josh_RN
12-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Did you ever think about making samples of your favorite good products and just printing off the instructions? You can get sample sized containers from Wal-Mart... or near empty bottles. This way you can get him hooked on the items he should be using anyway and spend the cash on some decent MF towels.

swanicyouth
12-15-2012, 02:47 PM
This depends though. Some people by new cars and don't car what they look like. Theirs re likely to change their own oil than wash their own car. If they have interest, that's one thing. But, if not, you could be just waiting your money.

cardaddy
12-15-2012, 07:15 PM

a good carpet cleaner
some microfiber towels
a drying towel
applicator pads
wheel brushes

Fantastic idea for a friend! People need more friends like you Bill. ;)
Might want to check Target / Wal-Mart etc. for boxed car care products that are out this time of year. Many have already started marking them down. Local Target had Ultimate Wash & Wax for $8.05 a jug!

This for instance is a decent starter package from Meguiar's and I think list's for maybe $35.00 and can be had for much less. There is another one the "paint restoration kit". The "new car kit" has Ultimate Wash & Wax, MF wash mitt, MF drying towel, Ultimate Liquid Wax with foam applicator, Supreme Shine towel, and Endurance Tire Gel + applicator.

http://www.meguiars.com/content/global/product/2730_lg.jpg

Look at Costco or Sam's for bundles of MF towels cheap. I'll +1 on the Tuff-Stuff in a spray can as well. I've been using that for years, works great.

The most important part is that he start with a good mindset and not use the cheapest stuff he can find. Then hopefully you can steer him to AGO and he'll be addicted like everyone else. :xyxthumbs: Oh, and the idea to pop for a AG Gift Certificate would be pretty cool.

Bill1234
12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Cardaddy, you are not going to believe this, but I have already bought two of those kits for other relatives of mine who got new cars. The only reason im picking up a small amount of seperate products is becuase I feel its easier and you get more for your money

cardaddy
12-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Cardaddy, you are not going to believe this, but I have already bought two of those kits for other relatives of mine who got new cars. The only reason im picking up a small amount of seperate products is becuase I feel its easier and you get more for your money

I hear ya' Bill. Just mentioned it because it's been seen that Target is marking them down to ½ price, and that'd make it a decent deal for sure.

They are still lucky to have you showing them the way. :)

primo spaghetti
12-16-2012, 03:50 PM
+1 on the Sams club MF...
for the carpet cleaner get Folex..easyto use by hand with all the MF you will get at Sams...
i thought autozone carried Duragloss...if so, anything DG (shampoo and tire dressing especially) is good and cheap...