PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE : Zaino CS versus Optimum OS

ScottB
04-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Some will remember the last post on this intriquing battle of the new no wipe sealants. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/5686-optimum-opti-seal-vs-zaino-clear-seal.html)

Well I set out as Water Restrictions were lifted for the evening and primarily to wash the two cars.

SRX (Opti-Seal)
I washed the truck with Duragloss once again and started to notice the slickness is gone. Beads like a normal wax but nothing special. This time I dried without a qd'er and just used blower and guzzler.

I then moved to the OS, noting that at this point there was nothing super noticable on the washed/dried previously OS'd finish. I did NOT prime the pad, I used a foamy applicator, and a brand new bottle of OS. I carefully noted two spritzes on larger areas (like 1/2 hood) and one per normal panel. Streaking would be considered very minimal and a much better experience overall. This version, if different, also seemed a little slicker sooner. To many changes to note, but user blame will be taken.

I did notice an etching on the roof of birdie doo-doo that happened since last OS and washing. Not good as scared the paint rather quickly is a week or less. Wife remembers wiping off the culprit about mid-week with qd'er. I would have thought OS would have easily protected since it was only applied a couple days prior.

Vette (Z-Clear-Seal)
My wife commented on just how dirty a car can get in just 1 days use, even with no rain. It was however amazing to see the little beads in perfect display as soon as the water hit the surface. Washing was very easy and seemed as if the dirt was held above the paint and washed away without needing to be wiped. Car has CS on for a week, over polycharged UPP.

Dried as normal with a blowing, and then the guzzler and some Z8. Z8 is unfair as a spray sealant booster more than a qd'er but makes the car look like glass. Pure Reflection ! (truly one great Zaino product)

So while the OS version or use was incorrect, I would still vote for the CS as current leader based upon look after a week, beading, and the way the dirt flowed off of it. Really looked like it was protecting the paint. If we consider I overused both products (since original coats we same) the Z gets the nod as clearly not as finicky to abuse. Overall both are great choices, and nobody needs both, but both should be considered another choice instead of a qd'er+ not sure if either truly replaces a sealant just yet. Will see how OS looks after curing as sun is gone down currently.

====================================
NEW PRODUCT TESTS:

Also got an opportunity to test several new products and reuse one. Quick updating below:

XMT 360 -- the birdie doo-doo etching looked bad, but I did not want to polish the truck. I grabbed it and rubbed in with a slightly damp towel. It took the etching out in one application and some light elbow grease. Stuff continues to amaze. A+

Diamonites Plastic Polish Aerosol -- this product came up and offers the same protection and features as my previous favorite Plexus. It foams up and surprised me initially, but clearly made an impact on all taillamps, and headlamps. Not a slick as Plexus after use, but a nice difference. Smells like carpet cleaner. B+

Diamonites Glass Cleaner -- this product is in an area where I have three favorites, so not much I wanted nor needed. (Sprayway, Stoners, DP ) I noticed its slightly thicker than all the others and has a light foaming. Looks rather nice with no streaking on all outside glass. Overall another nice offering in a crowd of favorites. B+ to A-

Poorboys Gel Trim and Tire Protectant -- I got this from Steve at Poorboys several months back and never used. In truth I did not read it was glossy, or would have tested earlier. I dont like anything GEL on interior so tossed aside to giveaway. So I used on the tires with a normal applicator. Nice gloss immediately as glossy as Bright/Bold from same maker. Thick and seemed to dry rather well. Since over application is common with gels (do to amount in ribbing of tire) I rewiped. Downgraded the gloss just a bit but still nice and wet. Not sure if going to be released but a contender for looks and use with DP. I'd call them cousins !! A

bambo2888
04-28-2007, 07:04 PM
sweet dude! What are your usual products for QDs during the week? Or do you have time?

Jimmie
04-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Killr. Nice review. Good info.

supercharged
04-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice! I want to try that Zaino now! Im the MAN :awesome:

alban61
04-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for that great review!

RallyMSP
04-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Very good reviews!

mixxer
04-29-2007, 05:45 AM
great writeup killer,i always look forward to reading your insite on products and uses!

BILL
04-29-2007, 07:54 AM
great writeup killer,i always look forward to reading your insite on products and uses!

THANKS KILLR......;)

ScottB
04-29-2007, 08:31 AM
sweet dude! What are your usual products for QDs during the week? Or do you have time?

I try to never qd during the week, scared of swirls. That said, doo-doo must go immediately and I have found Mothers Quikshine and Poorboys Spray/Wipe to be best suited for it. Not alot of streaking and lubricated enough with a fluffy towel to pull away. I saturate, allow to sit, and then wipe hoping it loosens the poop so to speak !

I do however ALWAYS use a qd'er+ type product while drying. It lubricates enough to allow the guzzler to slide over paint versus grind into paint which causes swirls and markings.

Nice! I want to try that Zaino now! Im the MAN :awesome:

Obviously that was not my attention, but gotta tell the truth. Currently it is a step ahead but I await the new Ultima line from David at Autopia and rumors are his product is also walk away without wiping. I can tell from initial test product, it was very slick and glossy. It also has polycharger as an ingredient.

Waxmax
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Scott,

Glad you tried the XMT360...one of my favs. Thanks for your OS vs ZCS review.

I have found OS to be slightly slicker than ZCS and OCS seems to give me a slightly deeper shine. I have now tried OS over XMT360, AJ and WMF...and it worked fine in all cases, but cannot comment on durability yet. I too would be hesitant to use it as a standalone.

I too like Z8. A little pricey, but is spectacular. I sometimes use it to amp up Souveran. Seems to work fine over carnauba.

HighEndDetail
04-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Killer thanks for taking the time to do this review. And I am glad you gave your honest thoughts on it too.

P1et
04-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I appreciate the review Scott, knowing that Zaino is not offered by AG.